SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090
Default Internet buying and selling rules

I buy and sell things quite a bit. Small things to big things. Today a lot of "negotiating" is done via text. I have a something for sale right now that I do not really need to sale at all. Guy texted asking if I would take $xx. I asked if he was offering me $xx. He said yes and I agreed to accept his offer. Today I texted him to see when he is going to come get it. He text back saying he's changed his mind. It's real easy for people to renig when texting is the form of communication. It's just like with posting on this site, there's no consequences for what you say on the internet unlike when you're face-to-face. In conclusion to my rant, please do not make an offer that you are not ready to back up. If you have any doubt, simply don't make the offer. Same goes for the seller. Do not accept an offer then accept a "better" one in the meantime. Have some dignity people.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
I buy and sell things quite a bit. Small things to big things. Today a lot of "negotiating" is done via text. I have a something for sale right now that I do not really need to sale at all. Guy texted asking if I would take $xx. I asked if he was offering me $xx. He said yes and I agreed to accept his offer. Today I texted him to see when he is going to come get it. He text back saying he's changed his mind. It's real easy for people to renig when texting is the form of communication. It's just like with posting on this site, there's no consequences for what you say on the internet unlike when you're face-to-face. In conclusion to my rant, please do not make an offer that you are not ready to back up. If you have any doubt, simply don't make the offer. Same goes for the seller. Do not accept an offer then accept a "better" one in the meantime. Have some dignity people.
Agreed! Decency, dignity and honesty are a thing of the past. My son asked me the other day why I have a dash cam, unfortunately I had to tell "son, most people will lie when their but to on the line. No one takes responsibility for their own actions. So I video everything"

Sad thing is he said " that's probably for the best dad" and he's 12
Old 02-21-2015, 04:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Same thing with someone agreeing to a price over the phone and when you meet FTF they then decide to try and negotiate like they're Rick from Pawn Stars. If they would just say they would prefer to see the item in person before agreeing on a price, I would be perfectly fine with that. Don't tell me you'll pay $100 for something and then show up with a $50 bill in each pocket then pull out of one pocket and tell me you only have $50 on you. Take it down the road and get a burger and a beer cause you ain't buying what I'm selling now.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Redfish

Cash: 739

There is now an entire generation that has lost face to face social skills, they sit behind a computer or phone and can be as big and bad as they want with zero chance of any consequence for there words or actions. I hate to say it but it all starts at home, no discipline at home, none at school, and none in public because if there not in school or home they are behind a computer. Sorry I know I am ranting but it pisses me off as well!!

It comes down to what some of us were taught as young men, and I have tried very hard to pass it on you my sons.

A man only has his word, its all we are ever judged on. If you let that fail then society will fail.

We are seeing it in this country as we speak, absolutely no backbone from men young or old. It will be the ruin of this country as we know it.

Sorry again for the rant but somethings just get to me
Old 02-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by wed68 View Post
There is now an entire generation that has lost face to face social skills, they sit behind a computer or phone and can be as big and bad as they want with zero chance of any consequence for there words or actions. I hate to say it but it all starts at home, no discipline at home, none at school, and none in public because if there not in school or home they are behind a computer. Sorry I know I am ranting but it pisses me off as well!!

It comes down to what some of us were taught as young men, and I have tried very hard to pass it on you my sons.

A man only has his word, its all we are ever judged on. If you let that fail then society will fail.

We are seeing it in this country as we speak, absolutely no backbone from men young or old. It will be the ruin of this country as we know it.

Sorry again for the rant but somethings just get to me

Or maybe they show up to a deal and the item is in worse shape than anticipated or conveyed by the seller.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Redfish

I agree sellers can think their item is in better shape but that is why you never agree to a price till you see the item. If you agree to a price then you should buy the item period. If you want look at it then go look before you agree to a price.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,521

Quote:
I agree sellers can think their item is in better shape but that is why you never agree to a price till you see the item. If you agree to a price then you should buy the item period. If you want look at it then go look before you agree to a price.
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Preach on brother!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:

Couldn't the seller hold the same responsibility? I've refused to agree to a price on the phone with a buyer because a sell is always better in person and easier to get a higher dollar amount when the interaction becomes personal.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 958

Unfortunately just had this happen to me this week.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Redfish

Yes I agree Gooh that's usually what I do ...... I am always suspicious when someone agrees to a price without seeing item

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

I tell people that my stuff is "For Sale, Not On Sale!" I do not negotiate, period. Never had someone who did not have the cash to pay asking price. They try to negotiate and I just say "No Thanks." And start to walk away. Works every time.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,855

U and many before and after U have opted that saying and live by it. Good for u cause it leave's no question of item cost.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

When I sold a boat a few years ago, I had several people ask .... sight up seen.... if I would take a lower price. I always said no.