SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Right, 2011 was the dought year. Salinity was up. Drills were up. But the steep decline in oyster stocks occurred in 2010, so it could not have been caused by oyster drills and high salinity in 2011.

90% of Louisiana's oyster harvest in 2010 was from Calcasieu estuary.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Yeah, carbon sequestration is not a benefit that would have crossed my mind, but it gets mentioned as a benefit in most of the oyster restoration papers. And the idea is scientifically sound: oysters transfer carbon to their shells when they grow and the carbon is locked up in the shells for a long time before being released.

I don't buy that atmospheric carbon dioxide is a big problem, so I do not see carbon sequestration as a big benefit. But lots of environmental types do, and as long as we're advocating oyster reef restoration, why not include benefits that lots of environmental types think are very important?
I gotcha. U just copied and pasted some of the known oyster benefits. Carbon sequestration or whatever is a crock. My neighbor is a big liberal and talks about this all the time
Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
I gotcha. U just copied and pasted some of the known oyster benefits. Carbon sequestration or whatever is a crock. My neighbor is a big liberal and talks about this all the time
Its a crock that a lot of people put a lot of money into, especially those environmental types MG mentioned. Money is what gets things done unfortunately. If there isn't money in it or some major benefit to society, most people couldn't care less.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Its a crock that a lot of people put a lot of money into, especially those environmental types MG mentioned. Money is what gets things done unfortunately. If there isn't money in it or some major benefit to society, most people couldn't care less.
I know. My neighbor says that's why ducks don't come here no more but I've been killing plenty ducks last few years But anyways how does an oyster hold carbon. Thought that was plants that did that. Are oysters plants?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

There's your documentation T-Top LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
[LDWF]. “L.D.W.F. Agents Cite Six Louisianans for Oyster Violations.” Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, March 18, 2011a. Retrieved from the World Wide Web on 7 September 2012. www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/33862

[LDWF]. “2011 Oyster Stock Assessment Report Of The Public Oyster Areas In Louisiana Seed Grounds and Seed Reservations.” Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, July, 2011.

[LDWF]. Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries press release March 22, 2011 http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/33877 Accessed 11/2/11.

[LDWF]. “2012 Oyster Stock Assessment Information for the Public Oyster Areas of Louisiana.” Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, July, 2012. Harvest pressure was concentrated in Calcasieu that season because so many areas of the state were closed due to the oil spill.

No doubt that controlling salinity is key to oyster restoration, and that high salinity has hindered restoration efforts since 2011.

But the above references and attached figures make it clear that harvest pressure led to the oyster decline on the E side in the 2010-2011 harvest season.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl8200 View Post
There's your documentation T-Top LMAO!

Not exactly bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk