SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,358
Default lure color selection

So, I aways go with bright day, bright colors. Dark day, dark colors. Anyone else have any rules of thumb when choosing lure colors?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

well I view the water clarity as just as important to color selection so I feel you have to add both together to help you decide.

just like the sky, if its murky I go with dark colors and if its clear I use bright colors so I combine the sky and water.

say you have a bright day with murky water, I find smoke, motor oil, strawberry, or other mid level type of dark colors are best so on days like that I use something in the middle of bright and dark
Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 581

In the waters I fish, I find avocado the best color every time. I double rig, so I frequently throw avocado on one and any other various color on the other. The trout typically hit the avocado one much more than the other.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

On bright days I use dead shrimp, and on dark days I use dead shrimp. Takes the guesswork out of it. Only thing that varies for me is the size pyramid weight I use, which depends on current
Old 08-15-2015, 04:54 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Yes, the live and dead bait color selection is a tough one... hard to decide some days. ;-).

The 'which color' conversation has a lot of variables, and on some says it can make a difference. We've all scene those few times when only one guy on the boat is catching all the fish and he only brought one pack of what he's catching them on. In most cases, the more important thing is to be locating your fish schools and not be casting in empty water. That's the bigger thing to focus on... read the water. Look for active bait, slicks, birds, anything to key you into where the fish actually are. From there the genera color selection rules above will tend to do the trick just fine. I've also encountered times when it just didn't matter. I've caught trout in super dirty water on clear baits and in super clear water on black baits. I think it's more important to find a couple colors you like for your water conditions and fish them confidently (and the above is part of that process) all I'm saying is the fish didn't get the memo on what the best colors are or arn't as long as they can see them.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:59 AM
Redfish

Cash: 758

I think it is more about tide movement than color of bait. However, this does not stop me from changing bait colors when I'm not catching. Yesterday, caught good as long as the tide was moving but when the tide stopped, catching slowed & bait color did not make a difference.