SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Time with my brother

It has been about 3 years since my brother has come to Louisiana. This was our chance to spend quality time together. We were going to fish as much as possible. My brother had only gotten redfish to about 8 pounds the last time he was here and wanted to get something bigger.

The first day we got a late start. We went to Dad's for breakfast. They open at 7:00. We also went to Frelich's for bait and made a stop at the fill a sack for a license after breakfast. The wind was from the east so we were forced to go to the west and hug the banks. I went out of the pass and saw many boats to the right. They were getting a few bulls but said the bite had slowed. It was already 9:00 and I was hoping my casualness had not caused us to miss the bite. As I looked up and down the shoreline I saw a few birds indicating a feeding frenzy almost 3 miles away. Although the water was dirty I went to an area to start my drift. The bait was there and the fish should also be there. His second cast produces a screaming drag. I put the power pole down and get ready to net his first bull redfish. A beautifully colored 38 incher.

We make a few more casts and he looses one half way in. I am casting different things with not much results. I have him throwing one of my favorite baits and it is working. His third hookup is clearly much bigger and fighting much harder. At this point I realize if he does not get another he will have had a good day. Little did he know we were in for a full day of bull reds.

We were getting into the fish good so I never lifted the power pole. We just stayed there and let the fish swim through. We even had a double which posed a challenge because I had to net my own bull red before getting my brother's fish.

After about a dozen or so the bite ended so I just moved a few hundred yards or so until I noticed some more bait. This was our second of three places we sat and let the fish find us. Another dozen and it slowed again. By this time the waters were changing and I had to move further out to keep up with the moving bait. The birds had also quit but we managed a few more before calling it a day. over all well over 2 dozen for our efforts. Back at Venice Marina we had a late lunch and headed home to plan our next days adventure.

The second day we went out of Delta Marina and headed to the east through Ostrica. This would be about the only day I could go over there and work some of the outside. As I got there I knew I had picked the wrong side to go to but I had to try a few places while there. At the first one I did not feel it and after a hardhead cat I moved on. About 4 miles away I ducked into a small cut looking for some slot reds. My brother hooks up with a nice keeper trout to start our day. We planted there and caught a dozen and some redfish before the tide shut us down. Instead of leaving that side and going elsewhere I made the mistake of remaining and looking around. I am not that familiar with much of the inside there yet and I chose not go exploring at my brother's expense. The places I am familiar with was in the open and the high winds drove us out of there. On the way back the girl that runs the locks is a friend of mine and we had to pay the (lock usage fee) of a few trout for her families supper. By the time we got to the west side most of the day was shot and water was not moving. We ended up with our one stop catch only. This is what we had left after our Lock usage fee.

The third day we went back for the bulls. The red in the morning was going to prove to be true as the winds were forecasted to build.

Although a little bait in the area the bulls were not there. The water was muddy and looked almost chocolate. There were a few more charter captains there and we all split out to other areas. I was the only one going in a northerly direction. I made a few brief spot checks and soon found some clean water with bull reds. Once again my brother was in his glory.

This would be our place for us to play today. The rollers moved the boat a bit even with the power pole down and we had to readjust occasionally. This particular day gave us about 12 to 15 bulls for our efforts. I did not fish as much that day. My brother just kept fighting the bulls and loving every minute of it.

The rains and storms kept us off the water Sunday so we went to a local bar and watched the Saints give away another game. On his last day here we went looking for some meat. The river was a mess from the deluge of the previous day. We found a slow but steady bite so we just enjoyed fishing and busting each other. As he would hook a slot red I would hook a sail catfish. The first time it was a joke but by the 4th time this happened it was not as funny to me as it was to my brother. We ended up getting a nice batch of trout, a few slot reds, and 1 of 2 flounder. Add that to the tuna and sword fish I was able to get for him and I sent him home happy. I am anticipating his next visit. I know it will not be another 3 years after the time he had this visit.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 11-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default time with mybrother

Great report and glad y'all had a good time. I have spent the last 2 days on the water with my brother and friend flounder fishing. We had a great time and he caught about 50 flounder in 2 days and was a happy camper to bring a few fish home. Had a few reds mixed in. I was like Capt Hoop just enjoyed watching the catching. Glad you got to catch up on some old times. I just wish my brothers lived closer but they are only a few hours away.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Nice report... great time with family on the water.