SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

This green energy is one of the biggest scams the government has ever pulled off. And they have people driving smart cars thinking they are making a difference. All the carbon those smart cars save and ethanol and wind energy etc. that's all erased in about 5 minutes when one volcano burps. But it gives them that warm feeling inside that they are saving the earth because their government told them so. They can keep those 8 fans and give me 8 more deep water rigs in the gulf!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Don't even get me started on the new diesels!!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

I agree the technology is not there yet to make alternative energy financially viable without the government tax breaks which I do not agree with. The government is only wasting money by backing businesses with no shot of success.

I do however like seeing independent companies (not mooching off of the government) doing research to progress technology for renewable energy sources such as solar and hydro power. Not sold on the wind farms.

Our oil supply will run out in the not so distant future. It wont be in my lifetime and probably not in my kid's life, but there is a finite amount of hydrocarbons that can be produced. When the oil runs out I sure hope that we have figured out an alternative energy source.

With that being said, I believe that nuclear power is the energy of the future.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
This green energy is one of the biggest scams the government has ever pulled off. And they have people driving smart cars thinking they are making a difference. All the carbon those smart cars save and ethanol and wind energy etc. that's all erased in about 5 minutes when one volcano burps. But it gives them that warm feeling inside that they are saving the earth because their government told them so. They can keep those 8 fans and give me 8 more deep water rigs in the gulf!
This would all be great if the hooligans in charge of those deep water rigs knew how to control the well in the given example. I'm all for drilling but I was told recently by a reliable source that the blowouts happen more regular that we see. And if that's the truths it only a matter of time before they blow another one up. O wait they just did. Recently. Be careful what u wish for man. We can only with stand a few more instances until there's another rule put in place from government to mms to offshore drilling and completions.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
I agree the technology is not there yet to make alternative energy financially viable without the government tax breaks which I do not agree with. The government is only wasting money by backing businesses with no shot of success.

I do however like seeing independent companies (not mooching off of the government) doing research to progress technology for renewable energy sources such as solar and hydro power. Not sold on the wind farms.

Our oil supply will run out in the not so distant future. It wont be in my lifetime and probably not in my kid's life, but there is a finite amount of hydrocarbons that can be produced. When the oil runs out I sure hope that we have figured out an alternative energy source.

With that being said, I believe that nuclear power is the energy of the future.
Geo thermal wells... Boom
Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Put the fans on top of the rigs ! Dead issue.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

No regards for the countless numbers of birds and migratory waterfowl that will be sliced and diced by these pathetic feel good machines. I could just see it now: Oops! There goes another whooping crane. What? a bald eagle? No worry. Junk science gets a pass on killing protected species.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

From USA Today:
For years, a huge wind farm in California's San Joaquin Valley was slaughtering thousands of birds, including golden eagles, red-tailed hawks and burrowing owls.
The raptors would get sliced up by the blades on the 5,400 turbines in Altamont Pass, or electrocuted by the wind farm's power lines.

From CS Monitor:
Oil companies are prosecuted when a bird drowns in a waste pit. But the Obama administration has never fined or prosecuted a wind-energy company for similar protected bird deaths. An estimated 573,000 birds are killed by US wind farms each year. A soaring golden eagle slams into a wind farm's spinning turbine and falls, mangled and lifeless, to the ground.
Killing these iconic birds is not just an irreplaceable loss for a vulnerable species. It's also a federal crime, a charge that the Obama administration has used to prosecute oil companies when birds drown in their waste pits, and power companies when birds are electrocuted by their power lines.
But the administration has never fined or prosecuted a wind-energy company, even those that flout the law repeatedly. Instead, the government is shielding the industry from liability and helping keep the scope of the deaths secret.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

From the videos I have seen of wind turbines there is no threat to wildlife being sliced up. They spin very slow.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I work with a few textbook treehuggers and 'greenies', and at a conference in Nebraska last year there was truck after truck hauling these huge turbines out there. Every one of them was talking about how silly these things were. While we were there, the sandhill cranes were migrating through. Hundreds of thousands of sandhill cranes along the Platte River, and yes they do get chopped up.

Another counterpoint to that is this morning on KPEL radio, the host (who is uber duber conservative) made a good point and that is its not a bad thing to explore other means of energy production, no one will disagree with that. Seriously take a look at a map of our coast and look at these oil/gas pipelines and canals crisscrossing our marshes that have had hugely negative effects to the environment and what do we get for it? As much oil and gas that comes out of Louisiana, we should have the highest paid teachers, best schools, and best roads in the country, but thats obviously not the case.

I am all for oil and gas production for the record, offshore, inshore, fracking, whatever. just making some points

nuclear is definitely the way to go, but its just a scary word

1 billion birds dying from window strikes is believable, found many dead birds outside my parents house with big windows
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshark View Post
From the videos I have seen of wind turbines there is no threat to wildlife being sliced up. They spin very slow.

They appear to be spinning slow, but I forget the terminal velocity at the tips of those blades, but it was really fast. Looked it up last year, see if I can find it

edit to add:

Tip speeds of 200 mph

Turbines used in
for commercial production of electric power are usually three-bladed and pointed into the wind by computer-controlled motors. These have high tip speeds of over 320 km/h (200 mph), high efficiency, and low torque ripple, which contribute to good reliability. The blades are usually colored white for daytime visibility by aircraft and range in length from 20 to 40 metres (66 to 130 ft) or more. The tubular steel towers range from 60 to 90 metres (200 to 300 ft) tall. The blades rotate at 10 to 22 revolutions per minute. At 22 rotations per minute the tip speed exceeds 90 metres per second (300 ft/s)
Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
Found a cool article on bird deaths and wind turbines... you can read the whole thing here:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...kill-birds.htm

Here are a few quotes from the article:

The vast majority of research shows that wind turbines kill relatively few birds, at least compared with other man-made structures. The statistics are shocking if you consider just how many people are crying out against wind power for the birds' sake.

Collisions with wind turbines account for about one-tenth of a percent of all "unnatural" bird deaths in the United States each year.

The Altamont Pass wind farm kills far more birds than any other farm in the United States. The total at that single wind farm with 4,000 turbines is 4,700 fatalities; the total for all wind farms in the United States, with more than 25,000 turbines in operation at any given time, is 10,000 to 40,000 per year.

Up to 1 billion birds die each year by flying into windows.

maybe when you include windshields
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
maybe when you include windshields

there must have been 200 on the stretch along Rockefeller in March this year, those swallows were getting smoked
Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

big turbine like these the blades do not spin fast. now with 160 mph wind I don t know I don't see them working like they project.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
Found a cool article on bird deaths and wind turbines... you can read the whole thing here:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...kill-birds.htm

Here are a few quotes from the article:

The vast majority of research shows that wind turbines kill relatively few birds, at least compared with other man-made structures. The statistics are shocking if you consider just how many people are crying out against wind power for the birds' sake.

Collisions with wind turbines account for about one-tenth of a percent of all "unnatural" bird deaths in the United States each year.

The Altamont Pass wind farm kills far more birds than any other farm in the United States. The total at that single wind farm with 4,000 turbines is 4,700 fatalities; the total for all wind farms in the United States, with more than 25,000 turbines in operation at any given time, is 10,000 to 40,000 per year.

Up to 1 billion birds die each year by flying into windows.
It's said that stray feral cats kill 1.4 billion birds per year as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Where on earth do they get these numbers?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

I smoked a cow bird today with a 1 ton. It was hilarious.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
I smoked a cow bird today with a 1 ton. It was hilarious.
LMAO!! I did that in high school with an 84 ram we were dying laughing
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,621

It was only at 45 mph! lol

How many hummingbirds get burned up from the flares at night offshore during their migration??????/ LOL They make good bait, from what i'm told!

And I'm gonna pee in my pants when the "BLACK BEAR" decides to climb one adn "GET CHOPPED UP" LMAO!