SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Thats awesome price if you dont want the S scan. $800 difference in price without the structure scan. My Lowrance hds7 Touch with structure scan was $1800

sent from my Galaxy NOTE II

Last edited by alphaman; 12-08-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

I found the S scan with transducer for 557$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
I found the S scan with transducer for 557$

Jump on that son! Are you going with Nss8 with S scan?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
Jump on that son! Are you going with Nss8 with S scan?

Leaning heavily that way.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Sailfish

Set up options vs price

I look at it this way NSS8 if you dont want Structure scan at all (Never). Its Cheaper

If you want structure scan lowrance 1 and done. Quicker install and you dont need that hds hd box.

If u set on nss8 and w/ structure Scan. I get that set up. Same price as the lowrance.

They are very close in internal specs. lowrance has more pixels, bigger screen and a better picture.

At the end of the day its your money, your boat.

How will you install it ram r flush.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 623
Default HB only for me

On my Nautic Star I'm running and older HB 997c si unit on my console inter-linked together with a 917c on the bow... I have very seldom had an issue with the units operating together and they're pretty much on spot between marking a target on the GPS and showing the same spot on the other unit... In my opinion it is going to be hard to beat HB customer service... While fishing Lake Claiborne in North Louisiana I had an issue with my units working together and showing correct depth... I got HB on the cell phone and they worked with me while I broke out the tools and removed the 997 out of the console... We then worked through the troubleshooting process until we narrowed it down to a cable issue... To me that's customer service... I understand from a friend of mine that he has had both Lowrance and is now running a HB 998c si... He told me that He finds the HB is more user friendly and easier to operate... That's his opinion of the units and I know nothing about Lowrance personaly... Good luck on making your decision and if you are interested I can send you a photo I took with my HB of the buoys around the fishing area of Cypremort Point State Park Swiming Area... Again, good luck...

Bruce...
Old 12-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Redfish

Cash: 933

If you want read a lot of great info on the HB vs Low go to bbcboards.net and scroll down just a bit. There are 4 different board topics HB gps questions, HB image interpretation, Low GPS, & Low images. I've got a 998 on the console and an 898 on the bow. I switched from 8 year old Garmin units and I"m not disappointed.
From what i heard the ipilot works in conjunction with Lakemaster map card. The Lakemaster cards i have for Toledo Bend aren't Hi Def cards so the contour lines are more spaced out (not 1' increments).
There's a post on BBC that the Moderator lists his initial settings for the HB unit and you can fine tune from there. I took a pic of these settings with my phone when I first started using the units so i had a starting point for the settings.
There's still a lot i don't know pertaining to my units.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieF View Post
If you want read a lot of great info on the HB vs Low go to bbcboards.net and scroll down just a bit. There are 4 different board topics HB gps questions, HB image interpretation, Low GPS, & Low images. I've got a 998 on the console and an 898 on the bow. I switched from 8 year old Garmin units and I"m not disappointed.
From what i heard the ipilot works in conjunction with Lakemaster map card. The Lakemaster cards i have for Toledo Bend aren't Hi Def cards so the contour lines are more spaced out (not 1' increments).
There's a post on BBC that the Moderator lists his initial settings for the HB unit and you can fine tune from there. I took a pic of these settings with my phone when I first started using the units so i had a starting point for the settings.
There's still a lot i don't know pertaining to my units.

Thanks guys. I found a new 999ci si KVD with side imaging and transducers for 1500. Found the link remote for 350$. Might be back on team humminbird.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 682

One thing to consider navionics has the best maps coastal and inland lakes i don't think hummingbird reads navionics but i know lowrance does
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Ling

They read navionics and lake master

http://www.humminbird.com/leading_in...-gps-maps.aspx

Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Flounder

Cash: 623

I have the 898SI's on my helm and bow and have only had the HB's on my boats. The 898's are good units and the maps are adequate for were I fish. I troll a lot and they accurately show the structure where I toll. I haven't used other brands so I can't compare.

The helm 898 came with the boat and I added the one to the bow and basically went with HB to keep everything the same. If I were starting over, I would look hard at the Lowrance, however. I added an ethernet network to my boat and you have to buy a couple of network switches and converters to interface the HB's and it added around $300 to the cost of the network. I also have my engine on the network (using Lowrance interfaces) and there are some things you can't view because HB isn't very compatible with the NMEA 2K stuff. Lowrance has put a lot of effort in developing NMEA 2K compatibility. If you want to network your boat at some point, I would look hard at Lowrance.