SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

U seriously should check out hankos or gaudet. Much more of an open water boat. PRetty much like a big aluminum bay boat
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
U seriously should check out hankos or gaudet. Much more of an open water boat. PRetty much like a big aluminum bay boat
Sounds like he wants to stay with a 90 hp....a 20' hanko will laugh at a 90.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Sounds like he wants to stay with a 90 hp....a 20' hanko will laugh at a 90.
You pick the hp based more on the weight than on the length. 90 hp will do fine with a 2000 lb boat with an average load (additional 800-1000 lbs fuel, persons, ice, equipment). A 3000 lb boat with a similar load is gonna need 140 hp.

A 20-21 foot boat with 0.125" aluminum plate is gonna weigh in at close to 2000 lbs. Some of the more serious custom builders are using 3/16" plate which will push the weight closer to 3000 lbs. Sea Ark has several 3000 lb boats in this class, and they spec a minimum motor of 100 hp to get up on plane, with a max power of 225 hp. I'd probably lean toward 140-150 hp as my preferred tradeoff (fuel, performance) for this class of boat.

But once you've got a 3000 lb boat, a lot of things get harder, because the total tow weight when you're going fishing (boat + motor + fuel + ice + gear + trailer) is pushing 4500 lbs and you're out of the weight range to tow it with the average SUV/light truck to needing a work truck or Suburban 2500 to tow it comfortably (or you are toasting trannys and brakes regularly). So, I'm leaning more toward a boat in the 2000 lb class that I can power with 90-100 hp and pull around with a Honda Pilot by keeping the total tow weight at 3000-3500 lbs. If one of the custom shops is happy to work with 0.125 aluminum plate, I'm sure we can find the sweet spot for me.

Truth is, I'm not gonna get approval to buy a boat that requires a big new truck to tow it around. I've confessed, Are y'all happy now?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Cool
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Man I hate to call someone out but I hate to see someone waste money even more. My 22' blazer bay weighs in at 1600 lbs dry. I hold 60 gallons of gas at ~6 lbs a gallon. My 250 HPDI weighs ~475lbs. I typically carry 80 lbs of ice and estimate I have ~ 200 lbs of other crap in the boat. They say the average man weighs 170lbs but most of the guys theat fish with me weigh 200 lbs. so let's say I fish with 3 people. So that comes to 3315. Now take of the motor and replace with about 1/4 of the hp your weight would be about 3160. I just don't se a 90 being able to get it on top. With that kind of weight you would burn twice the fuel my 250 does. See it all the time.
My 20' craw fish skiff had a 90 with a tiller on it and with 40 sacks of crawfish bait and two men it caught hell. But that is just my opinion.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

I can understand the interest in the Lund Alaskan. I fished out of Lund boats in Canada several times. Many of the boats were over 20 years old. They build a very tough boat, but they will also beat you to death.

I think for what you are wanting to do (fish open bays and light offshore) you are going in the wrong direction. Any aluminum boat that would be capable of doing that very well will cost a lot of money, especially the customs. You could easily find a 20-21 foot center console glass boat for under 20k. For instance the Sea Hunt 202 or 207 would be perfect for what you want to do and with a 115 it will still get you into the high 30mph range. Now, if money is no object, a custom aluminum boat might not be bad, but they are extremely expensive. There are lots of glass boats that would be perfect for you and your boys. If you decide to look at glass you could look at an older Sea Pro, Sea Hunt, Tide Water, Grady White, Proline and the list goes on. It is very easy to find a good deal on a 20-21 foot center console. If you wanted to put a trolling motor on it, you could do that as well.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 739

The problem with the alweld and most aluminum boats other then the custom made ones is they are going to crack up under the stresses of a chop and light off shore. Lunds don't crack up because they are riveted and flex a bit to compensate for the waves as does a glass boat.

Like slidellkid above said there are many good used glass boats to fit your needs. I am a blue wave classic fan, I run an older 22 foot blue wave classic with a 150 on the back, I bought it used for 12000 that's well under your budget of a new aluminum and outboard(s).

Now I know your not going to agree with me but if you could find just an older blue wave 220 classic and trailer and repower it with your twin outboards you would have a very solid rig. Now running twins may take a little work but your not afraid of that.

I understand your desire for a boat is purely utilitarian and economical, there are better options for the water you want to fish then a big aluminum.

Ooh and by the way my glass 22 foot hull only weighs 1300 lbs so no big tow vehicle is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 610

Call Casey @ Sportsman Fabrication in Morgan City. He can build it exactly like you want and does an excellent job with a fair price. Built one for me and I'm well satisfied with it.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 739

I just realized I brought up a thread that was a year old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

for offshore you need high sides for those swells and sudden storms

I love flatboats of all sort for inshore but I won't go offshore in one or most bay boats for that matter. its too easy to be swamped and then you are in real trouble, you are taking a very big risk and they aren't designed for that, its just not worth it
Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Aluminum boats designed for skinny water are going to beat you up in open water. Look at the picture of the delta marsh 20 ft center console. There is not near enough V or weight in the front to handle some chop. The the motor is for running really fast in smooth water, not slowing it down in a few waves. No wonder so many people are soured on aluminum boats in open water. Trying to go fast in a flat bottomed boat will beat the passengers up in open water. It's the speed and lack of a V hull that is beating you up, not the hull material.

Now look at the picture of the Lund Alaskan 20 ft aluminum boat. This boat has a proper V hull for more open water, has the forward weight to handle it, and if one keeps the speed to 10-15 mph, one can ride in rougher water without beating up passengers.

I have seen these all over North Alaska in different fishing villages, the natives pound the hell out of them in the Artic Ocean and Beaufort Sea ...

Lund, G3, and several other "factory made" brands are seen all over the place . I'm pretty sure they will hold up well to the occasional recreational offshore trip in the GOM .

Hydro
Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

All I gotta say is I hope this aluminum boat flat on the bottom near the transom.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
All I gotta say is I hope this aluminum boat flat on the bottom near the transom.
if he insists on taking it offshore it will be flat on the bottom by actually being flat on the bottom 50 ft down lol