SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave 2200 View Post
I'll check on the You Winn Rd area and get a better idea of when they will be finished. The contractors are working as fast as they can and are taking advantage of all the dry days we have had to stay ahead of schedule. The best thing to do is call the Moss Bluff Office and get your name on the list. That way, when we do light up the fiber in your area, you are already in line for the installation crew to come out and hook you up.
Name is already on the list. What about the Campfire road area....when will it be operational?

What is the likey hood of "start up" problems? Should we wait a month or 2 before getting connected?

Why does a crew come by and do 5 to 10 minutes work and then leave? I have seen this done several times. And then they don't put the green cover back over the wires.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,517

I don't know about the rest of your questions Gerald but the start-up was very smooth on this side.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Flounder

Cash: 616

We don't have start up problems. We test the connections at the cabinet before anyone is ever connected to make sure all the light levels are where they should be. When you get connected, it's good to go.

As for the work the contractors we hired are doing, I'm not sure exactly how they operate. They have a method to the maddness. We have an outside plant crew that oversees the work that the contractors putting the fiber in the ground are doing and they make sure it is done correctly and on time.

I'm over the Broadband Department. We make sure you always get a the best video signal and Internet connection possible. We want happy and satisified customers.

On a support note, we now have employees that will call you back after normal business hours and on weekends to help you resolve any issue you might have (PC not connecting to the Internet, wireless router help, remote control programming, etc...) We strive for you not to have any issues, but we are here in case you do.

Not trying to sould like a salesman, but we pride ourselves on being local with local employees. When you call us, you are talking to someone that is in SW LA.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Flounder

I'll check on Campfire also.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

I live off Watts road and I was told it would be around September before Cameron Communication has service available for me. They are getting closer and closer. They've been on Sutherland road for a while. I've got my name on the list.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Flounder

We have 3 different contractors working three different areas. They are all ahead of schedule and making good progress.

I'm out on Topsy Rd right after you make a left past the Gillis Elem School. The contractor out here is almost to the Calcasieu/Beauregard line with burying the fiber. I'm hoping to have our service within a couple of weeks.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
We have 3 different contractors working three different areas. They are all ahead of schedule and making good progress.

I'm out on Topsy Rd right after you make a left past the Gillis Elem School. The contractor out here is almost to the Calcasieu/Beauregard line with burying the fiber. I'm hoping to have our service within a couple of weeks.
Burying the orange conduit or the fiber optic lines.

I have not seen any crews in the area putting in the fiber optics lines and I am home most days.

But that gets me to thinking....... what are the black wires coming to the junction boxes???? I will have to walk out front and take a close look that them. Maybe I was fishing......when the crews installed the fiber optic wires.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Flounder

The contractor in your area is installing the orange innerduct. They hired another crew to come behind them and blow the fiber optic cable (the black cable) through the innerduct. After that, the splicing crew will come through and make up all the connections and test them. If there are black cables coming up in the green terminal by your house, the fiber optic cable has been installed.

Back in the day, they had to blow a string through the innerduct and tie onto the fiber optic cable and then pull the cable through. Today, they attach a device to the fiber optic cable and use one of those industrial air compressors to actually push the fiber through the innerduct with air. I watched them when they were in front of my house. It's a pretty neat process and much faster than pulling it through. The contractor said on a straight run where they do not have to loop through any of the green terminals (junction boxes), they can go about 5000' in one push.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
The contractor in your area is installing the orange innerduct. They hired another crew to come behind them and blow the fiber optic cable (the black cable) through the innerduct. After that, the splicing crew will come through and make up all the connections and test them. If there are black cables coming up in the green terminal by your house, the fiber optic cable has been installed.

Back in the day, they had to blow a string through the innerduct and tie onto the fiber optic cable and then pull the cable through. Today, they attach a device to the fiber optic cable and use one of those industrial air compressors to actually push the fiber through the innerduct with air. I watched them when they were in front of my house. It's a pretty neat process and much faster than pulling it through. The contractor said on a straight run where they do not have to loop through any of the green terminals (junction boxes), they can go about 5000' in one push.
I must have been fishing that day.

My brother works for the Phone company [Job estimator] and was telling me about the slow process of connecting each strand of the "wires" of the fiber optics cable. He said that each cable connection could take anywhere from a hour to all day......depending on how big the cable is and if there are any problems.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Sailfish

Here is what it looks like today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fiber Optics cable 7-6-11.jpg (118.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Flounder

That one is ready for splicing.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 556

Mediastream is driving me crazy, getting Cameron next week, any idea what ping is like to Chicago and Los Angeles on their fastest connection
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cities View Post
Mediastream is driving me crazy, getting Cameron next week, any idea what ping is like to Chicago and Los Angeles on their fastest connection
Chicago = 32ms
Las Angeles = 52ms
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,260

Quote:
We don't have start up problems. We test the connections at the cabinet before anyone is ever connected to make sure all the light levels are where they should be. When you get connected, it's good to go.

As for the work the contractors we hired are doing, I'm not sure exactly how they operate. They have a method to the maddness. We have an outside plant crew that oversees the work that the contractors putting the fiber in the ground are doing and they make sure it is done correctly and on time.

I'm over the Broadband Department. We make sure you always get a the best video signal and Internet connection possible. We want happy and satisified customers.

On a support note, we now have employees that will call you back after normal business hours and on weekends to help you resolve any issue you might have (PC not connecting to the Internet, wireless router help, remote control programming, etc...) We strive for you not to have any issues, but we are here in case you do.

Not trying to sould like a salesman, but we pride ourselves on being local with local employees. When you call us, you are talking to someone that is in SW LA.
I have to agree with the last statement. We recently got rid of our home phone and cable from Cammeron Communications however we kept their internet service. When they disconnected us they accidentally removed all three services, I called the local office and s2 trucks showed up less than 2 hours later and fixed the problem. It was after 5PM when they arrived and staye duntil they reconnected and tested the entire system and wireless router and cleared out all the old IP addresses
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Stone View Post
I have to agree with the last statement. We recently got rid of our home phone and cable from Cammeron Communications however we kept their internet service. When they disconnected us they accidentally removed all three services, I called the local office and s2 trucks showed up less than 2 hours later and fixed the problem. It was after 5PM when they arrived and staye duntil they reconnected and tested the entire system and wireless router and cleared out all the old IP addresses
Does that mean I can't make harassing phone calls to you any more?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,260

Was that you all those times !!!!!!!!!! Thats OK the road is open now, I know where you live..
Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 632
Churn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Chicago = 32ms
Las Angeles = 52ms
We have Suddenlink and it is the fastest internet I have ever had. I was so glade to get away from Communicomm.

LA=70ms, 17.35 Mbps DL & 2.95 Mbps UP
Chicago=69ms, 17.11 Mbps DL & 2.90 Mbps UP

But I do have an unfair advantage I'm working with a Mac LOL.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Stone View Post
Was that you all those times !!!!!!!!!! Thats OK the road is open now, I know where you live..
Hahahaha Hehehe
Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

I've got Cameron Communication now and I'm very pleased with them, but my phone gets faster internet.

Sent from my Rezound
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1342227405501.jpg (50.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Chicago = 32ms
Las Angeles = 52ms
Awesome what's the upload speed look like on speedtest?