SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 635

im not familiar with the 421 but i think it has more options and more views for the maps and charts. Is the 421 in color?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,052

yes I went to garmins web site but I can't find a difference I'm sure it is the 421 is 100 cheaper
Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 635

yea, also does it have built in antenna? That is something else to look at if that makes a difference to you.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

The built in antennas are nice but if you have a cover it can block the sat. signal leaving you with a pretty screen to look at but no information. When I borrow my buddies from him, I have to put it in front of my wind shield or drop my biminy top. Just something to think about. Adam, I don't know if you have a t-top or cover above your console but you could use a handheld gps to see if your cover is blocking the signal. also DELORME (EARTHMATE) has a hand held unit that has plottchart and land /roads. It's about $250 and is small, but you can take it out of the boat easily (hand held) and goes with you regaurdless what boat your in.

Last edited by QUACKHEAD; 01-21-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckinabox View Post
yea, also does it have built in antenna? That is something else to look at if that makes a difference to you.
Good point. I know the 540 does have a build in antenna.
My father-in- law also has a Garmin not sure the model but I remembered he paid well over $500 for it on Ebay a few years ago and it did not have an antenna.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster View Post
We have a lorance it's very good ,has just everything. Only bad thing is you will spending about 800, what are you look to do with it? Just simple stuff?
i have a lowrance dont remember the model but paid over 800 for it and im not very impressed with it, now the customer service has been good. I have been having problems with it just freezing up and to fix it you have to reset it which if your waypoints aren't stored on the sd card they get lost. Not a major problem but still a problem, also have a problem with the screen having what i am calling "noise" on the depth finder. Have been told by a lowrance rep to try a few things like using a seperate ground instead of using the one off my terminal, and try rerouting my wires.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Personally I prefer Lowrance ... I have an older model LCX-15CI works great...it's a combo gps/sounder color unit.... the new Lowrance HDS are something to look at with a lot of options and there new Lowrance StructureScan
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...-Chartplotter/
Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 715

I have a garmin 3010 chartplotter. Its discontinued just like any others that are over 2 years old, but I love it!!! big screen, radar and xm capable, and more options than you can keep up with. It is not a combo, so the sounder module is separate. They are pricey though(1800+) the only reason I have it is because it came with the boat.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

furuno
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

i have a garmin 440 s on my boat an i love it....it is real easy to work and read
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,308

I have the 4208 garmin. thing is awesome. The only thing is it is big,but thats what I wanted. I had a 476c? before handheld. Had it mounted on the dash,but couldnt see the screen that good while I was underway.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
i have a lowrance dont remember the model but paid over 800 for it and im not very impressed with it, now the customer service has been good. I have been having problems with it just freezing up and to fix it you have to reset it which if your waypoints aren't stored on the sd card they get lost. Not a major problem but still a problem, also have a problem with the screen having what i am calling "noise" on the depth finder. Have been told by a lowrance rep to try a few things like using a seperate ground instead of using the one off my terminal, and try rerouting my wires.

yeah the only man two problems we had with ares is that we got the built in attena an we have it mounted in front the wind shield if some one is sitting in front the console it will cut out the signal also we had a problem with it cutting off out of no were an like you say yo lose all your points we thought they had some sleep mode but we called them up an said they did not, we fount or or what we think the problem was before we had it going threw a switch on the console, those switches went to the starting battery an the dropping of volts the system would cut its self off, so now we ran it straight to the trolling battery, but if we do get another one i would say get the external attena makes life a lot easier
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shep View Post
i have a garmin 440 s on my boat an i love it....it is real easy to work and read

Me 2.....the 420 series ONLY has inland waters on it. The 440 series has coastal waters
The maps are preloaded, no upgrade needed.......I got mine at west marine awhile back on sale for 400 bucks........but guess what!!! The transducer does NOT come with it, costs and extra 70 bucks......but I can't complain at all, this plotter is the best money I've spent on the ol. Cape horn........Tim
Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 PM
King Mackeral

alright got my funding together i have found some good deals online but would like to buy local in case of problems....I'll be in lake charles tom. gonna go to academy and is there any other places i need to check that would carry the chartplotters in lc...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 PM
King Mackeral

also as far as my jackplate southside welding across from dhp is going to build me one and put it on for 260. i thought that was a pretty good deal. i bought one for my 25 and it held up and looked great
Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,604

I am absolutely amazed with the lowrance structure scan. from what i hear, the garmins are the easiest to use, but this new lowrance technology is sick!!

was originally going to get a garmin in my new boat, but now i am getting the lowrance hd5 with structure scan. sick, sick sick!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

west marine
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM
King Mackeral

where is west marine at

mike- how much are them things they look awesome but most of the time awesome is out of my price range
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

west marine is in front of target
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,604

lol - you and me both, but this dang haynie is sending me to the poor house anway.

the HD5 with structure scan is $1200. structure scan alone is $600...