SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,353
Default Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Any fixed head will fly with your field tips if you learn to tune your bow. That is first and foremost. To properly broad head tune your bow you must learn what to do. Your field points are hittin the bull every time. You screw on your fixed heads and they don't hit the bull. To broadhead tune you move your rest. Put on your broad heads, shoot a bunch of em and get a good idea where they are going. Then, adjust your rest to get your field points flying to the same spot the broad heads were flying. Now that your field points and broadheads are hitting the same spot, THEN and only then do you move your sights back to the bullseye. Now you have tuned your bow and your field points and broadheads should now be on the bullseye!

Mechanical broadheads were invented for people who don't know how or won't learn how to tune their bows. On that note, there are a bunch of outfitters that will not allow you to shoot mechanicals. Don't even look for an elk hunting outfit that will allow you to shoot mechanicals!

Also, look up walk back tuning to learn how to properly tune your rest to get center shot.
I call BS. Been bow hunting about 30 years. Know many hunters that can paper tune a bow but like how the mechanicals work.

Everyone has a prefernce. If not, we would all be shooting the same thing.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I call BS. Been bow hunting about 30 years. Know many hunters that can paper tune a bow but like how the mechanicals work.

Very well said man...Sound like ol boy was tryin to toot his own horn a lil there
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,007

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu-tfrancois View Post
Very well said man...Sound like ol boy was tryin to toot his own horn a lil there
I didn't say that only newbies use them. I said why they were invented. Are you going to say that every advertisement doesn't say this phrase, "Flys like field points"? Do some research. Learn a thing or two. And then figure out why so many outfitters will not allow you to use them!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post

What does paper tune get you? You still have to broad head tune once you take the field tips off and put your broad heads on!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Feesherman is verry opinionated today....but its Ok...I guess I'm less of a man/hunter because I use blood runner mechanicals...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

Quote:
grim reapers!!!!!! I absolutely love em
x100! awesome broadheads,
Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Feesherman is verry opinionated today....but its Ok...I guess I'm less of a man/hunter because I use blood runner mechanicals...

I didn't say that either. But hey, try to help folks out by explaining what broadhead tuning is and I am accused of tooting some kind of horn. Lots of guys don't know that you have to first adjust your rest to broadhead tune. Shame on me for trying to offer some tips.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Redfish

Quote:
I didn't say that either. But hey, try to help folks out by explaining what broadhead tuning is and I am accused of tooting some kind of horn. Lots of guys don't know that you have to first adjust your rest to broadhead tune. Shame on me for trying to offer some tips.

There's nothing wrong with trying to help and give advice on this forum but u came off like a smarta s s insinuating that people who use mechanicals are either amateurs or don't know what they are doing.......and also i'm sure that flying like a field tip may be a good selling point it is not the only advantage of a mechanical and i doubt thats why they invented em....
Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Flounder

Cash: 557

I've been shooting mechanicals for 8 years Nap Spitfire 3 blade. Its not about wanting to tune my bow I just like what they do to a deer.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 958

THUNDERHEADS!!!! There's a reason they've been around longer than almost any other broadhead out there. It took me a while last summer but after watching alot of youtube vids I learned how to properly tune my bow to make the Thunderheads shoot exactly like my fieldtips. I have absolutely no plans on switching from the TH's to any other BH unless they quit making them which is very highly unlikely!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Quote:

U have tried to downgrade others in a couple of threads here lately...first about the dog training and then about mechanical broadheads....I'm just saying if that's the kinda help u have to offer I for one don't need it. I'm sure u meant nothing by it but just be careful with how u come off.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 991

OK fellas I didn't mean to start a 8===D measuring contest. Thank you for all your opinions. All of the broadheads mentioned will obviously get the job done in most cases. I was just concerned about spending 30-60 bucks on a set of heads that after you try there is no returning them.

Love the passion fellas!!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

Quote:
Sounds kinda like "W" on the topic of live bait!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidrine View Post
Sounds kinda like "W" on the topic of live bait!!!!
you can only use mechanicals in post rut being that thats one of the hardest times to shoot a buck
Old 08-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBFishin View Post
OK fellas I didn't mean to start a 8===D measuring contest. Thank you for all your opinions. All of the broadheads mentioned will obviously get the job done in most cases. I was just concerned about spending 30-60 bucks on a set of heads that after you try there is no returning them.

Love the passion fellas!!!!!
It basically comes down to what you're most comfortable with shooting. I have my doubts and concerns when it comes to mechanical heads so I will probably never shoot them. I've only shot the Thunderheads for 1 year but the 1 deer I shot with them didn't run far and it wasn't the best shot I could have made. Remember, no matter what kind of broadhead you shoot, as long as you hit them in the right spot they're going down.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
It basically comes down to what you're most comfortable with shooting. I have my doubts and concerns when it comes to mechanical heads so I will probably never shoot them. I've only shot the Thunderheads for 1 year but the 1 deer I shot with them didn't run far and it wasn't the best shot I could have made. Remember, no matter what kind of broadhead you shoot, as long as you hit them in the right spot they're going down.

Very very True!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

It is alot easier to tune a bow using mechanicals. Most of the time u put the mechanical on and they hit where the field points are. People like mechanicals because most of them open up larger than fixed. I used rage heads for a lil while and when they opened they cut like nothing else. But I did have some not open and one open on release and caused me to miss a good deer. I switched to muzzy mx3 which have a inch and a quarter cutting width and they will cut that width every time. It comes down to what u would trust when a lifetime deer comes in your crosshairs. Hope it opens or know its cutting if you connect.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,527

Copied my post from a previous thread back in June, wish y'all could watch the Videos, it'll make you sick

I've got 2 bad experiences of what a mechanical will do shot at angle on a deer (one on video), not good .........& no doesn't happen all the time.

1st time........approx 120lb Doe 10 steps (maybe 7yds) I was approx 22' high, I shot & hit behind the shoulder at the top of the back along the outside edge of the backstrap.......PERFECT!!!!!!! You'd think The arrow hit it's mark then turned & came out just below the backstrap on the other side!!!!!!!!!! IT DID A U TURN!!!! The arrow actually went up on the exit side! Never even got close to vitals!!!!!!!Lost that one! Trailed forever with dog.

2nd time..........ON VIDEO!!!!, with a different type mechanical. 8pt approx 16" inside 165-170lbs quartering away at about 20 yds, arrow hit right behind back rib PERFECT!!!!!! You'd think!The arrow turned & came out the other side just in front of his hind quarter!!!!!!!!! IT DID A U TURN!!!! We watched this one in slow mo for 2 weeks straight & made me sick at my stomach every time!!!!!!!!

Now if you can imagine this....... 2 blade or three blade mechanical shot at a hard angle & the blades are in the right position when the tip goes in one blade will hit first & begin to open before the others & it's cutting through hair, flesh, muscle & sometimes bone before the other blade or blades or open or make contact which will make the backend of the arrow kick the opposite way!!!!!!!

I've killed my share with mechanicals (with some nasty entrance & exits!) & more of my share with fixed, after those 2 episodes you couldn't melt a mechanical & pour it on me! I've had my mishaps with fixed also, but mainly due to my fault. I've got over 70 whitetails under my belt with a bow, have hunted in some really awesome places over the years.

I have looked at the Rage, like the concept, not the same as the traditional mechanical, but just cant bring myself to do it!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Jeff you are really coming of like you might know what your talking about!! Please stop being a Mr Know it all and trying to help people with your experience and opinion. Everyone knows that Rage is the only braodhead that kills. That's what the guys on tv told me!! Hahahahahahaha

When are you planting and clearing up at the camp? We bulldozed some new fields and shooting lanes over the summer. I can't wait to "throw an ax through an animal".
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,527

Haha you ain't right boy!

I don't know, too freaking hot to think about it! Will start picking up my fertilizer & seed a few bags at a time so initial price don't give me a
stroke! Probably start working them 2nd week in Sept then watch the weather to plant