SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,308

do they com 6-6" or 7 is the way to go?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:28 PM
*****Cajun *******

Cash: 662

speck
it makes no difference they are about the same, i have built them both 6ft6 and 7ft i have even built one for a man that wante it 7ft6 well to make a long story short i told him $$$$ it was out of the questrion, but if he would be ok with 7ft3 then i could add 3 inches on the lower end because he wanted a 10 lower grip any ways so it was not a problem to increase the lenghth a bit, but you have to be very careful when doing that sort of thing, but it turned out ok and he is still fishing it today.
he is in "england uk" he has been a very good customer so far he has i believe 6 of my rods and loves the spiral, man he has to love them after he pays ship and duty, ship and duty on his last order was well over $250 and i just about fainted but it did not seem to bother him in the least, and this was his 3rd order, so go figure.
stix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW--REDFISH-CHASING SHRIMP LOGO.jpg (62.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
do they com 6-6" or 7 is the way to go?

7 is a good trout rod for fishing from the boat. I'd hate to go with anything over 7 if you wade.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 PM
*****Cajun *******

6ft6 or even better 6ft9 for wade fishing with a 7 in lower grip and be sure you have balance, in addition to light weight guides so that the tip does not become tip hvy after a few 100 cast, my billystix "waderstix" is the perfect wade rod and if any one would like to place a little wager on that immmm game
stix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new viper blank 050.jpg (97.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Great White

7 ft rod, your line gets twisted around the top of rod..hate to break it to ya unless you got a buddy, your reel is getting wet
Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 852

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
7 ft rod, your line gets twisted around the top of rod..hate to break it to ya unless you got a buddy, your reel is getting wet

Here's a tip, let out some line, remove the reel from the reel seat and put it in your front shirt pocket. Then flip the rod around and let it hit the water and untangle. Braid and working into the wind sometime give me fits.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 PM
*****Cajun *******

young man
i said nothing about a 7ft what i said was 6ft6 or 6ft9 and yes when your line travels on top of the rod blank and you are trying to work your lure this happens, now you being the senior wader that you are , with the many years of wading experience that you have under your belt oh great wade god explain to us all why this marvel of magic happens, "i mean the line twist around the tip " and you need a friend to help ?
ok i will help the wade god out with a simple helful hint when the eye of the tip is turned up right and the line goes thru and you are working your bait there is a certain amt of play in your line, now the support guides on most tips on most rods are made of a "weld" the support comes around to the tube and lays on the tude and there it is welded "soldered" this causes a lump an unseen lump that is under the tip of the rod the line will swing down and catch this weld and cause a tangle at the tip,
now comes the " spiralstix" the tip is always down , the last approx 6 to 7 guides are also facing down causing your line to flow smoothly under the rod blank and out the tip, now as you are working the rod the tip is facing down and the chance of the line floping up ward rather than downward is better 2nd on the billystix spiral i use the titauim tip which has a much shorter brace thus less chance of the line catching the weld, check your cheap tips and you will see what i mean about the distance that is used for the brace vs the weld. also ring size plays a big part in this.
3rd spirastix again check your rod to see the great distance between the tip and the last guide the greater the distance the more chance for tangle.
4th again for the spiral check to see what the distance is from your reel to your first guide the longer the distance the more free play in your total line flow from the reel to the tip.
5th once again for the spiralwhen you have a good fish on, with your high dollar wally world special mr wader god check to see if your guides have rolled over and your line is laying on your blank while you are fighting your fish, you will never find that with a spiral no matter what you hook up with.
can i be of further asstince to you sir
just jerking your chain son but when it comes to fishing and fishing rods i have 70 years of good hard core practice, so if i can ever be of any help please just give me a shout and i will come untangle your rod for you.
stix
ps
there are rod tips that now come with an extended foot that lays on the blank after the tube is placed on the blank, i have to wrap this foot and then epoxy it, reason it is for fighting big fish in tourneys i use it on all my off shore rods it is also titanium cost $38 bucks but it will not hang up and it will notn allow you to loose a fish that might bring several thousand dollars at weigh in.
i ask my inshore customers if they would like to have the barrell of the tip wrapped up to the weld for this very reason on my billystix custom "waderstix" once again the spiral is the way to go.
i will tell you sometime about have you ever noticed how i wrap my guides and why, not by a machine but by hand, a little trick that i have been doing for for over 40 years but of course i dont have your years on the water yet

Last edited by billystix custom rods; 10-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 852

Billy will you untangle mine too? Funny read bud!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by billystix custom rods View Post
young man
i said nothing about a 7ft what i said was 6ft6 or 6ft9 and yes when your line travels on top of the rod blank and you are trying to work your lure this happens, now you being the senior wader that you are , with the many years of wading experience that you have under your belt oh great wade god explain to us all why this marvel of magic happens, "i mean the line twist around the tip " and you need a friend to help ?
ok i will help the wade god out with a simple helful hint when the eye of the tip is turned up right and the line goes thru and you are working your bait there is a certain amt of play in your line, now the support guides on most tips on most rods are made of a "weld" the support comes around to the tube and lays on the tude and there it is welded "soldered" this causes a lump an unseen lump that is under the tip of the rod the line will swing down and catch this weld and cause a tangle at the tip,
now comes the " spiralstix" the tip is always down , the last approx 6 to 7 guides are also facing down causing your line to flow smoothly under the rod blank and out the tip, now as you are working the rod the tip is facing down and the chance of the line floping up ward rather than downward is better 2nd on the billystix spiral i use the titauim tip which has a much shorter brace thus less chance of the line catching the weld, check your cheap tips and you will see what i mean about the distance that is used for the brace vs the weld. also ring size plays a big part in this.
3rd spirastix again check your rod to see the great distance between the tip and the last guide the greater the distance the more chance for tangle.
4th again for the spiral check to see what the distance is from your reel to your first guide the longer the distance the more free play in your total line flow from the reel to the tip.
5th once again for the spiralwhen you have a good fish on, with your high dollar wally world special mr wader god check to see if your guides have rolled over and your line is laying on your blank while you are fighting your fish, you will never find that with a spiral no matter what you hook up with.
can i be of further asstince to you sir
just jerking your chain son but when it comes to fishing and fishing rods i have 70 years of good hard core practice, so if i can ever be of any help please just give me a shout and i will come untangle your rod for you.
stix
ps
there are rod tips that now come with an extended foot that lays on the blank after the tube is placed on the blank, i have to wrap this foot and then epoxy it, reason it is for fighting big fish in tourneys i use it on all my off shore rods it is also titanium cost $38 bucks but it will not hang up and it will notn allow you to loose a fish that might bring several thousand dollars at weigh in.
i ask my inshore customers if they would like to have the barrell of the tip wrapped up to the weld for this very reason on my billystix custom "waderstix" once again the spiral is the way to go.
i will tell you sometime about have you ever noticed how i wrap my guides and why, not by a machine but by hand, a little trick that i have been doing for for over 40 years but of course i dont have your years on the water yet

I dont fish with wally world rods..thats jordan. I fish with A.D's customs.

Lmao but you owe me a new key board MR. ROD GOD.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Aint nothing wrong with ww rods. They cheaper dan urs !!!!