SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Chrome or silver when the sun gets higher will help out.

Changing up size, sound and profile helps at times. Going from a Super Spook, Jr to a She Dog doesn't seem like much, but it can make a world of difference.

Generally, I find the bigger, noisier ones are best in a chop. And smaller, more subtle baits are better in calm.

Lots of people like to use braid - it does make it easier to work - but it sucks should you get a snarl in mid cast and your eight dollar bait is sent into orbit. It especially sucks it it's a confidence bait and that was the last one.

I like the stretch and forgiveness of mono when a big one is approaching endgame. And I just don't like to "baby" trout any more than necessary.

Fishing them under birds is no big deal, only caught one in all my years and a few minutes and a towel over its head and beak satisfied all parties. And it does tend to weed out the micro trout somewhat.

Agree with varying retrieve, but when a fish is just popping it, keep working the bait. I've found that if a reticent fish gets a good look at the bait (like when you stop) it will pull off.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
I always use a rhythmic action covering water. After a few blow ups and I'm confident the fish are there i will slow it down or change it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Not a proclaimed expert, just simply speaking from what I have observed of baitfish "especially wounded" a constant retrieve is the anti thesis. Throwing a lure out banging it around long enough may produce a strike but you also could be doing more harm than good. You even noticed yourself that by varying the retrieve after "locating" fish is a better method. Studies have shown that smaller trout (1-3)lb have a higher metabolic rate than larger trout making them aggressive for longer durations of the day. If fish are in an active feeding mood, like I said previously, just about anything will work. Catching inactive fish consistently will require a culmination of an anglers intuition along with a little help from mother nature. I have gotten flat out embarrassed by novice anglers dead sticking a topwater, out of ignorance, while I was doing what I thought the fish wanted instead of paying attention to the signs. Pride is a hard habit to quit.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
I always use a rhythmic action covering water. After a few blow ups and I'm confident the fish are there i will slow it down or change it up.

But but..... U don't catch fish without chrinkle... Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Ask coot

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post

Ask coot

Like I said before you just learned how to throw a bait caster last year. You think you are special cuz you caught a few fish in the bay the last few days. Just remember you would still be perch jerking ditches if not for me. Like I said when ever you ready for a big lake or v bay challenge I will be ready by next Friday. Leave your shrimp tipped jigs at home son and bring your wallet.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Ling

Quote:

Ask coot

This is coming from a dude who runs a trailer hook with a shrimp behind his topwaters so take with a grain of salt.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
Not a proclaimed expert, just simply speaking from what I have observed of baitfish "especially wounded" a constant retrieve is the anti thesis. Throwing a lure out banging it around long enough may produce a strike but you also could be doing more harm than good. You even noticed yourself that by varying the retrieve after "locating" fish is a better method. Studies have shown that smaller trout (1-3)lb have a higher metabolic rate than larger trout making them aggressive for longer durations of the day. If fish are in an active feeding mood, like I said previously, just about anything will work. Catching inactive fish consistently will require a culmination of an anglers intuition along with a little help from mother nature. I have gotten flat out embarrassed by novice anglers dead sticking a topwater, out of ignorance, while I was doing what I thought the fish wanted instead of paying attention to the signs. Pride is a hard habit to quit.
I hear you but I ain't looking for much. A swirl a follow a blow up. Something to get me to slow down a bit. Now if I know they are there then my presentation is different.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
I hear you but I ain't looking for much. A swirl a follow a blow up. Something to get me to slow down a bit. Now if I know they are there then my presentation is different.

Agree with this methodology. When covering ground, it's important to me to be efficient. Efficiency is making long casts and getting in a rhythm not only in bringing the bait back to the boat, but getting it out there again. I don't do this near well enough - both time-wise and in my mental state - when I'm fiddling around with cadence.

Once I get a "look", then I've got the confidence to commence figuring them suckers out.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
This is coming from a dude who runs a trailer hook with a shrimp behind his topwaters so take with a grain of salt.

79 fish 3 trips..... All I'm saying. No it's not.... Wait yea it is I gotta go clean more fish ... Haha

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Like I said before you just learned how to throw a bait caster last year. You think you are special cuz you caught a few fish in the bay the last few days. Just remember you would still be perch jerking ditches if not for me. Like I said when ever you ready for a big lake or v bay challenge I will be ready by next Friday. Leave your shrimp tipped jigs at home son and bring your wallet.

You hear that boys? It's the sound of jealousy!!!
Natalie ain't letting you make no bets! And as a matter of fact you still owe me for monthly friend fees and round trip to bring your baby a zzz home yesterday!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Ling

Quote:
79 fish 3 trips..... All I'm saying. No it's not.... Wait yea it is I gotta go clean more fish ... Haha

Yeah fishing the bay is tough on October. How do you do it ? Maybe if I had a job I didn't have to be at your silly numbers would pale in comparison and you know it. More power to you though. Stay on em.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Yeah fishing the bay is tough on October. How do you do it ? Maybe if I had a job I didn't have to be at your silly numbers would pale in comparison and you know it. More power to you though. Stay on em.

Now your coming around. Seems as though it's tough for some! Patience... Gotta have it!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Redfish

Cash: 729

Quote:
Now your coming around. Seems as though it's tough for some! Patience... Gotta have it!

Would you guys take your D@#K measuring contest somewhere else. The OP doesn't give a rats @ss about which one of you can catch more fish. Start your owe tread.

There I "shared my opinion."
Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
Would you guys take your D@#K measuring contest somewhere else. The OP doesn't give a rats @ss about which one of you can catch more fish. Start your owe tread.

There I "shared my opinion."
Sad thing is, they already did...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,457

Pink Skitterwalk 11 for trout and Pink Skitterwalk 8 for reds what I throw 95% of the time. I love other TW's too but I have found the Pink SW11 and 8 to be the most consistant for me.

TB
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

When working suspended lures, does color play more of a role? And are you walking it just like a TW?

Sent
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
When working suspended lures, does color play more of a role? And are you walking it just like a TW?

Sent
Think of color in terms of light, dark, and natural. Let the conditions dictate which one is suitable. There are many color reference charts on the net you can google to achieve the best contrasting colors for water clarity and also weather conditions. Save to a folder on your phone for quick references. The beauty of a suspending lure is its versatility. You can work it fast and keep it high in the water column or work slower. If fish are feeding aggressively keep it high in the water column, otherwise you will have to find the right retrieval for that day.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
Think of color in terms of light, dark, and natural. Let the conditions dictate which one is suitable. There are many color reference charts on the net you can google to achieve the best contrasting colors for water clarity and also weather conditions. Save to a folder on your phone for quick references. The beauty of a suspending lure is its versatility. You can work it fast and keep it high in the water column or work slower. If fish are feeding aggressively keep it high in the water column, otherwise you will have to find the right retrieval for that day.
Got any links for these color reference charts?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

http://www.texastacklefactory.com/im...aphforweb1.jpg

For plastics, but the same principle holds IMO
Old 10-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
http://www.texastacklefactory.com/im...aphforweb1.jpg

For plastics, but the same principle holds IMO
Thats the chart I use for reference.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Bump - just went back through this and forgot how good the responses were.