SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 789

I own a Mako 191 with a Suzuki 150. The price of the boat is very attractive at first and it also looks very nice. It is also has a dry ride. However the latches on the baitwell rusted away and I have had to repair it. The dealership hard-wired my trolling motor to the batteries instead of installing a plug, another problem that I had to fix myself. I had to install a fuel-water separator because fiberglass from manufacturing had entered the tank and was clogging the motors filters. I also had to install an onboard charger. The boat also does not come with a jackplate, powerpole, or trimtabs, all things that you will find essential if you do any kind of shallow water fishing. The boat can handle rough water, although I would recommend anything 22 feet or better to the people who can afford it. To summarize, the original attractivness of the boats retail price quickly fades once you start adding all of the essentials that any self respecting bay boat needs to fish the waters of SW Louisiana.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

very well said OV
Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinions_Vary View Post
I own a Mako 191 with a Suzuki 150. The price of the boat is very attractive at first and it also looks very nice. It is also has a dry ride. However the latches on the baitwell rusted away and I have had to repair it. The dealership hard-wired my trolling motor to the batteries instead of installing a plug, another problem that I had to fix myself. I had to install a fuel-water separator because fiberglass from manufacturing had entered the tank and was clogging the motors filters. I also had to install an onboard charger. The boat also does not come with a jackplate, powerpole, or trimtabs, all things that you will find essential if you do any kind of shallow water fishing. The boat can handle rough water, although I would recommend anything 22 feet or better to the people who can afford it. To summarize, the original attractivness of the boats retail price quickly fades once you start adding all of the essentials that any self respecting bay boat needs to fish the waters of SW Louisiana.
Every report that I have seen........recommends that a trolling motor be hard wired. Having connections, just leads to problems later.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 789

The reason I had to install a plug was due to poor trolling motor performance. When I started investigating I saw where they had made the connection between the trolling wires and the battery wires. When I touched the connection it fell apart, they never ran wires directly from the motor to the batteries, they connected them and it was a mess. I wasn't surprised however because it was indicative of they quality work that was carried out when my vessel was prepped for pickup. Suffice to say I have a much better idea of what to look for the next time i buy a boat.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393
Default Mako Boats

I also have a Mako and agree and disagree with Opinions Vary. I agree about their choice of hardware. They used self-tapping screws where they needed machine screws and nylon nuts. I spent around $50 dollars on new hardware when I first got the boat 4 years ago and haven't had too many things need to be re-tightened. It is aggravating having to change stuff on a new boat but it really isn't that hard to do.

I disagree with the comment about the options because they can be added to any boat for probably less than the dealer would install them for.

My boat is the 192 model and has higher sides than the bay boats so I don't know how they ride. The ride of mine is very dry but I still wish it was two feet longer. LOL. The worst part about buying a Mako is finding a good dealer to buy from. If you ever want to go for a ride let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (40.9 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Loneshark; 03-09-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Trying to add pic