SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 635

]I do agree with adopting neighboring laws to assess and gather info over time to properly limit the Triple Tail species, And by doing that we will be able to enjoy them much longer and maybe even more often.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

i tagged a 6 pound trout, so BAM. Am i a conservationist now??? lol
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
i tagged a 6 pound trout, so BAM. Am i a conservationist now??? lol
only cause you TAGGED...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I tagged something yesterday about 100 lbs that smelled like a trout!! I'm a conservationist too!!! Oh wait, nevermind, I ate it......
Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Great White

both of these were tagged by moi. 2.8 pound and 6 pound. thank ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1453.jpg (35.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Yall are missing the point..I'm not saying that if you dont tag a trout your not a conservations.......I'm saying if your going to go to Baton Rouge to push limits and write articles and talk a good game.....

Then yes you should also get out and tag some fish for research........If its trout,Triple Tail or redfish...

You can be a conservationist in many ways! I'm just talking about a small % of people who push for laws and write articles but I don't see there research as a individual....

that's my point.

Lets use this for example!!! ........ Ok.. Im going to write a article that thinks we need to place a limit on white trout!......I say because we have no limt some guys are loading up 100.s of these fish. I think were going to fish them out!! Lets vote do you want a limit on white trout yes or no.

Now if i would write that I would of placed about 200-300 tags in white trout to see how many are being recaptured to see what the time frame of growth and travel......I would not just push a issues with out helping find the problem myself
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

call me stupid or whatever, but I dont see how tagging a trout is such a great step in research anyway. to me all thats doin is showing you travel patterns and such. I dont see how thats giving good hard data on fish population to adjust limits anyway.

can someone explain how this helps so much.

I know it provides info on certain things but how does it prove anything about reproduction and population size
Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
call me stupid or whatever, but I dont see how tagging a trout is such a great step in research anyway. to me all thats doin is showing you travel patterns and such. I dont see how thats giving good hard data on fish population to adjust limits anyway.

can someone explain how this helps so much.

I know it provides info on certain things but how does it prove anything about reproduction and population size

In all honesty, has anyone ever caught one of these so called "Tagged Trout"........On the average between my uncle fishing BL in his boat and me fishing BL with him in my boat plus others fishing with us I bet we likely catch all together at least 500 or so trout. BTW me, him plus anyone fishing with us has never caught a so called "TAGGED TROUT" either.....

Also, if you catch one of these TAGGED TROUT is there something special you should do with it besides EAT it?????
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
In all honesty, has anyone ever caught one of these so called "Tagged Trout"........On the average between my uncle fishing BL in his boat and me fishing BL with him in my boat plus others fishing with us I bet we likely catch all together at least 500 or so trout. BTW me, him plus anyone fishing with us has never caught a so called "TAGGED TROUT" either.....

Also, if you catch one of these TAGGED TROUT is there something special you should do with it besides EAT it?????

I have a whole folder sitting here in my office with recaptured tags! A few recaptured twice! Does it work yes....
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Ling

Default still

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I have a whole folder sitting here in my office with recaptured tags! A few recaptured twice! Does it work yes[/COLOR]....
work to do what though. I mean when you get them how does that help you determine fish population? I mean far as I can tell all you getting from these tags are, this fish was caught X miles from where it was tagged and this fish has grown X amount of inches/pounds. Well you already know that the fish is going to grow so that information to me is useless because fish growth information has been around for many, many years so its not like by tagging trout for size reference, you are helping out cutting edge technology.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 863

Quote:
work to do what though. I mean when you get them how does that help you determine fish population? I mean far as I can tell all you getting from these tags are, this fish was caught X miles from where it was tagged and this fish has grown X amount of inches/pounds. Well you already know that the fish is going to grow so that information to me is useless because fish growth information has been around for many, many years so its not like by tagging trout for size reference, you are helping out cutting edge technology.
True, but......

Redfish have been know to migrate more. Tagging records indicate it. Fish tagged in Big Lake and recaptured in TX, etc.....

Many are trying to find out if trout do the same. Nobody really knows for sure. But it seems to be most trout are estuary specific, and don't roam the waters like redfish. This is one of the primary purpose of trout tagging.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I have a whole folder sitting here in my office with recaptured tags! A few recaptured twice! Does it work yes....
No saying it is not a good idea. All I stated was I nor anyone else I know that fishes BL has never caught one. Naturally besides W, has anyone else or someone you know ever caught one...
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
No saying it is not a good idea. All I stated was I nor anyone else I know that fishes BL has never caught one. Naturally besides W, has anyone else or someone you know ever caught one...
I have never caught a tagged trout........I have had lots of trout that I tagged caught! Every time someone catches a trout or redfish I tag I get a paper with the info!

Also Chris Reed and I tagged about 100 reds in 3 days...Chris has had about 5 of his tagged reds caught by anglers! We used mostly his tags so he had more of his tags on reds!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 863

"Also, if you catch one of these TAGGED TROUT is there something special you should do with it besides EAT it????? "

RELEASE IT!!! Like you said, tagged fish make up such a minority of the stock. Release them and hope for multiple captures to be reported to help better determine movement patterns and growth rate.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Great White

Like you said, the trout taged #'s are so little, thats why more people should get envolved and tag trout.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Ling

There we go, that's sound and logical reasoning, thanks W for the info. In respects to environment changes I can see how it can play a role.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Ling

I wouldn't mind doing it. Do you have to be an all the timer to do it or can "weekend warriors" like myself get involved
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
I wouldn't mind doing it. Do you have to be an all the timer to do it or can "weekend warriors" like myself get involved

anybody can do it......It is easy..

I go out sometimes in the afternoon and fill my live well up with water.....Drift some reefs catch 7 or 8 trout....... Set anchor tag em and let go.....then drift it again and do the same thing
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Ling

Just left a message and sent an email to them, hopefully they contact me back
Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Ling

Ok I got another wrench to throw into this thread. I got ahold of the guy early and told him I wanted to get involved with the tagging program. I figured it'd be fun to do and would help with gathering some data on our state's fish. Well I asked him how I could get involved. So he tells me he will mail me or fax me an application. So I told him to just mail it and I would send it in. He says "yea, thats great, thanks. Just fill it out and send it in with the check and then we will send you the stuff"

Um ok, what the heck? I am doing a service to you so that you can have better data on fish growth, migration, etc etc etc, and I have to pay you to be able to help you out? What kinda program is that?