SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I've caught several limits of bass in that marsh before Rita.
Yea those bass did not come down ship channel and through weirs

The came from big burns when water levels were high and the open the flap gates to release off water!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Yea those bass did not come down ship channel and through weirs

The came from big burns when water levels were high and the open the flap gates to release off water!!!

do you have any scientific data to support your comment?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Caught bass in Johnson bayou(deep bayou) pretty comparable to old river system...
Old 09-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I guess there are no bass in dulac, dularge, or cocodrie's brackish marshes either. Tell that to Captain Marty Lacoste on here. He'd tell you otherwise.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Yeah there's a ton of bass and fresh water on the east side of state. Also no weirs
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

It's a Weir and Duck hunting thread merged together as one. This could be Biblical!!!

Last edited by Spunt Drag; 09-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Duck butter you talk a big game on the web but you know how many guides are having to turn people away because the fishing is horrible??

Are that 7days after weirs were closed crabbers catch dropped 80% and that shrimping has fell off by 50%

And from an Biologists who does listen to the ones who make a living off the lake ; said that west side marshes do not support the lake it self..
Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Duck butter you talk a big game on the web but you know how many guides are having to turn people away because the fishing is horrible??

Are that 7days after weirs were closed crabbers catch dropped 80% and that shrimping has fell off by 50%

And from an Biologists who does listen to the ones who make a living off the lake ; said that west side marshes do not support the lake it self..
Do you have any scientific data to support your statement? W have you at least graduated to finger paints?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
Do you have any scientific data to support your statement? W have you at least graduated to finger paints?
Attached Images
File Type: png facebook-20130912-110238.png (211.8 KB, 185 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Guess that your educated answer is no. Please tell me you were the only child.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Flounder

Cash: 697
Angry

Quote:

Friend went with the famous guide service on the WEST side. They scratched the previous 2 days to his arrival and caught 14 dinks the day he went.........I would say it is horrible.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Im sure you missed this in duck grass school but I bet you can understand what happens when you alter the echo system by killing off millions on millions of shrimp
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lifecycle_shrimp.pdf (1.07 MB, 65 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Im sure you missed this in duck grass school but I bet you can understand what happens when you alter the echo system by killing off millions on millions of shrimp
Do you have a link or a photo or any press release of 'millions on millions of shrimp' being killed off? Would really like to see that

I bet there are millions and millions of healthy shrimp NOT dying and bet they will not be dying in the next 3 months due to a freeze either

echo system
Old 09-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
HELLO...........Hello.........Hello........Hello........Hello........hello
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

I hunted within site of weirs this weekend. there is a ton of shrimp back there. canals and ponds are full of shrimp jumping behind boat. they are thriving back there
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
I hunted within site of weirs this weekend. there is a ton of shrimp back there. canals and ponds are full of shrimp jumping behind boat. they are thriving back there
No doubt...I have a vid of reds stacked up by hundreds behind Grand Sat

Maybe on my 5th attempt to load on u tube it might take so i can post it

But with out rain and open gates for them to migrate out, 1st freeze they gone
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
No doubt...I have a vid of reds stacked up by hundreds behind Grand Sat

Maybe on my 5th attempt to load on u tube it might take so i can post it

But with out rain and open gates for them to migrate out, 1st freeze they gone
I agree with this, but will say that the gates should be open by the time temperature is a relevant hazard.

I will also say that after living on the other side of the state for years the impact saltwater has on a marsh without a barrier system (whether it be weirs, levees, or islands) is truly devastating. My family has been on a 10 square mile lease for the last 50 years and the marsh is 75% gone. I used to hunt pot holes that are now lakes. Every year we rebuild blinds because the land the blinds used to sit on has receded 20 yds.They have recently built the giant wall, and opened the Caernarvon Canal to pump fresh water and silt in from the Mississippi but it is way too little too late. The Gulf is knocking on the back door of land that used to be very high and dry. To see La wetlands dissappear like that is disheartening.

I understand the struggle of crabbers and shrimpers, I was one for 3 years and grew up in the seafood sales industry. There are other places to catch shrimp and other areas that marine life lives then behind the weirs though.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
I agree with this, but will say that the gates should be open by the time temperature is a relevant hazard.

I will also say that after living on the other side of the state for years the impact saltwater has on a marsh without a barrier system (whether it be weirs, levees, or islands) is truly devastating. My family has been on a 10 square mile lease for the last 50 years and the marsh is 75% gone. I used to hunt pot holes that are now lakes. Every year we rebuild blinds because the land the blinds used to sit on has receded 20 yds.They have recently built the giant wall, and opened the Caernarvon Canal to pump fresh water and silt in from the Mississippi but it is way too little too late. The Gulf is knocking on the back door of land that used to be very high and dry. To see La wetlands dissappear like that is disheartening.

I understand the struggle of crabbers and shrimpers, I was one for 3 years and grew up in the seafood sales industry. There are other places to catch shrimp and other areas that marine life lives then behind the weirs though.

You are talking about two different monsters .....9o% of the east erosion is from changing water ways to build cites underwater level

Here on west side do not have a marsh erosion problem and our marshes were top shelf before Rita and Ike

Our east side Marshes are not in any kind of close gate choke off lake problem

This coming from guys who hunt, fish and live off that marsh along with a biologist
Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
You are talking about two different monsters .....9o% of the east erosion is from changing water ways to build cites underwater level

Here on west side do not have a marsh erosion problem and our marshes were top shelf before Rita and Ike

Our east side Marshes are not in any kind of close gate choke off lake problem

This coming from guys who hunt, fish and live off that marsh along with a biologist
Not 2 different monsters....one monster, saltwater. Without the MS River flooding it's banks and depositing it's alluvial soil(go google the word) and pushing the salt water out of the marshes the saltwater has a perfect avenue in. The marsh behind the weirs was not created to hold that amount of salt. Due to man made avenues the saltwater comes in more freely, and the weirs allow us to regulate it.

Some people are paid to think, and the rest...well the rest just wish they were.