SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Salty, I've got to ask. How did you go from a 14' X 42' = 588 sq ft drive way project to 1800 sq ft project? Your wife must be like my wife (except for the money part). Are you going to concrete your front lawn so you don't have to mow? I put a block on the home improvement channel yesterday. She will freak when she finds out. I'll put it back.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
That is the cost of concrete.....$ 100 per cu. yard. So if you need ~ 8 yards it will cost you ~ $ 800.

In Lake Charles it think it is a little cheeper....maybe ~ $ 90 per yard.

If you are digging up the driveway out to the street.....make sure ALL the driveway is dug out to 3.5". I have seen many driveways "skimp" on the thickness next to the road and where a drainage pipe crosses under the driveway.

IMO.....the driveway should be "flaired" where it connects to the road. This makes it easier when turning into the driveway.

...plus tax plus deliverey............ the only way you are gettin it cheaper is if you got a finisher that pours industrial or other huge jobs where he gets better deals because of the volume he does , then still he probally wont pass the savings on to you that goes in his pocket!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Salty, I've got to ask. How did you go from a 14' X 42' = 588 sq ft drive way project to 1800 sq ft project? Your wife must be like my wife (except for the money part). Are you going to concrete your front lawn so you don't have to mow? I put a block on the home improvement channel yesterday. She will freak when she finds out. I'll put it back.
Well, she thought that the 18-wheeler would be able to back right up to the fence and we could just dolly the stuff into the storage.....10' away. Coke came and looked and said that there's no way they can back a truck from the street...too tight quarters. I suggested just a walkway to the storage but I lost the arguement. We're pouring the driveway 8' wider + busting up and re-pouring the original driveway.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Well, she thought that the 18-wheeler would be able to back right up to the fence and we could just dolly the stuff into the storage.....10' away. Coke came and looked and said that there's no way they can back a truck from the street...too tight quarters. I suggested just a walkway to the storage but I lost the arguement. We're pouring the driveway 8' wider + busting up and re-pouring the original driveway.
What does an 18 wheeler loaded down with coke weigh???????? An 18 wheeler that hauls freight can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. If you figure how much weight per tire.....the 18 wheeler has ~ 4 times the weight per tire of a car. Each tire in the 18 wheeler is much larger [surface area] so that does spread out the weight some. But the truck is still very heavy.

Just wondering.......whey can't the driver put the cokes on a dolly and bring them to the storage building on a sidwalk. They do that all the time when they deliver to stores.

You may have to rethink pouring the driveway with something more that 3.5" thick concrete. Just guessing [this is out of my experience] maybe 6" thick.

I would not allow that 18 wheeler to get on the "new" concrete for at least a month after it is poured.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
After making my post late last night......I got to thinking the same thing. The size of the job got 3 times larger.

Those are going to be some expensive cokes.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Great White

Quote:
What does an 18 wheeler loaded down with coke weigh???????? An 18 wheeler that hauls freight can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. If you figure how much weight per tire.....the 18 wheeler has ~ 4 times the weight per tire of a car. Each tire in the 18 wheeler is much larger [surface area] so that does spread out the weight some. But the truck is still very heavy.

Just wondering.......whey can't the driver put the cokes on a dolly and bring them to the storage building on a sidwalk. They do that all the time when they deliver to stores.

You may have to rethink pouring the driveway with something more that 3.5" thick concrete. Just guessing [this is out of my experience] maybe 6" thick.

I would not allow that 18 wheeler to get on the "new" concrete for at least a month after it is poured.
There isn't enough room for the 18-wheeler to make the turn onto my driveway. It will cost my wife almost $7000 per year for liability for the Coke guys to enter our property. They will just block the street and unload the Cokes onto a dolly or cart. Guess who will be wheelin' the Cokes?
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
There isn't enough room for the 18-wheeler to make the turn onto my driveway. It will cost my wife almost $7000 per year for liability for the Coke guys to enter our property. They will just block the street and unload the Cokes onto a dolly or cart. Guess who will be wheelin' the Cokes?
Your WIFE ????????

Does this mean the project has been scaled down to unloading on the street?

Have you considered just renting a storage building somewhere in town????

I am guessing these cokes are not just to drink at your house. The cokes are part of the candy and frozen stuff you have in the air conditioned storage room.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Great White

Quote:
Your WIFE ????????

Does this mean the project has been scaled down to unloading on the street?

Have you considered just renting a storage building somewhere in town????

I am guessing these cokes are not just to drink at your house. The cokes are part of the candy and frozen stuff you have in the air conditioned storage room.
Yes, there are no climate-controlled storage facilities close by. I already sold my boat and turned a large portion of my boat storage into climate-controlled storage. $3000 later....I ain't fixin' to go somewhere else. I just have to decide the best route to get the products from the street to inside my back yard....and the easiest.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Yes, there are no climate-controlled storage facilities close by. I already sold my boat and turned a large portion of my boat storage into climate-controlled storage. $3000 later....I ain't fixin' to go somewhere else. I just have to decide the best route to get the products from the street to inside my back yard....and the easiest.
Maybe your lawn mower or 4 wheeler and a small trailer.

If it is a straight shot from the road to where you store the cokes......maybe mount an electric wench to pull a small trailer?

How is your back for unloading the cokes? You got any neighbor boys that could help stack the cokes?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Great White

Quote:
Maybe your lawn mower or 4 wheeler and a small trailer.

If it is a straight shot from the road to where you store the cokes......maybe mount an electric wench to pull a small trailer?

How is your back for unloading the cokes? You got any neighbor boys that could help stack the cokes?
It is a straight shot up the driveway (65'), but, when you hit the grass is the problem. That's why I thought of off-setting the driveway when it reached the carpor(ch) and extending it all the way to the double gates on my privacy fence. The storage is in the back of, what once was, my boat shed. Once I reach it...it's a piece of cake. This fancy dolly/cart my wife bought does not roll well in gravel or grass but you can roll it with two fingers on a concrete surface. My back is willing and able right now but I'm considering surgery(don't know yet) and I'll be out of commission for 6 months as far as doing this kinda stuff. It's not only Cokes. There's ice cream, chips, candy...the whole 9 yards.

BTW...1 case of Coke (20 oz. bottles) weighs 36 lbs. The cart will hold about 16 of 'em.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Wth, didn't know you was turning your house into a convenience store! Guess I should read more stuff here more often!

I feel so "out of the loop!" lol
Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Great White

Mr. Gerald,

A buddy just called and said there is some stuff called 'hi-way mesh'. It is used instead of wire. It comes in 6'x12' sheets. You just lay it down between your form boards. I guess cut it to fit. I'm not real comfortable not using any wire in the slab. I'd hate to go to all this expense and have it crap out. Whatcha think?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Wth, didn't know you was turning your house into a convenience store! Guess I should read more stuff here more often!

I feel so "out of the loop!" lol
My wife got the contract for the vending machines at the hospital here in Asterisktown. There is no on-site storage so I built one here. I do sneak out there at times in the middle of the night.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Awese deal man! Hope it works out well given the modifications being made!...especially the selling of the boat part!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Great White

I just found out that concrete is goin' for $86 per cubic yard here.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Awese deal man! Hope it works out well given the modifications being made!...especially the selling of the boat part!!!
That's not why I sold the boat.....but, my wife thinks so.

She asked me yesterday if I thought it would cost more than $20,000 to pour this concrete. Without even thinking, I said, "No".
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Mr. Gerald,

A buddy just called and said there is some stuff called 'hi-way mesh'. It is used instead of wire. It comes in 6'x12' sheets. You just lay it down between your form boards. I guess cut it to fit. I'm not real comfortable not using any wire in the slab. I'd hate to go to all this expense and have it crap out. Whatcha think?
I am not familar with the term "Hi way mesh", so I googled it. It looks like it is large mats made of much heavier "wire" [1/4" or larger dia.] than what is used normally for concrete driveways. Due to your heavy load requirements this maybe what you need.

I did pour a big slab at work one time that was designed for heavy loads. I think it was 6" thick with a fairly heavy mesh wire. The concrete held up fine while I worked there for 2 more years. The soil had a good limestone base foundation.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Salty i poured my driveway with no wire and used the 3500 pound fiberglass mix. I have no cracks on any of the 140 X 12 foot.

Tell the coke sales person that you want your product delivered shrink wrapped on a pallet. When the delivery guy gets there he can lower the Tommy-Gate and drive it right up to the door with an electric pallet jack.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Salty i poured my driveway with no wire and used the 3500 pound fiberglass mix. I have no cracks on any of the 140 X 12 foot.

Tell the coke sales person that you want your product delivered shrink wrapped on a pallet. When the delivery guy gets there he can lower the Tommy-Gate and drive it right up to the door with an electric pallet jack.
x2 on the shrinkwrap and pallet jack. I sure wish we were getting 85-90/yard in Houston. 3000 psi is going for about 65-70 over here and I honestly think 3000 is all you need. Any more and it is over kill. They use 3000 on almost every street over here. I would definitely use either the fiber mesh or some type of wire. The fiber mesh is a $6 adder over here and it comes out real close to a wash on cost compared to wire. Just regular vehicles, 3 1/2" is enough. If you go back to semi's, 6" would be required. Typcially, for regular flatwork (3 1/2") you can take your total sf and divide by 81 in a perfect world for your yards needed, but I would use 75 is the number to divide to make sure you have enough. Or use 81, but round up.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
x2 on the shrinkwrap and pallet jack. I sure wish we were getting 85-90/yard in Houston. 3000 psi is going for about 65-70 over here and I honestly think 3000 is all you need. Any more and it is over kill. They use 3000 on almost every street over here. I would definitely use either the fiber mesh or some type of wire. The fiber mesh is a $6 adder over here and it comes out real close to a wash on cost compared to wire. Just regular vehicles, 3 1/2" is enough. If you go back to semi's, 6" would be required. Typcially, for regular flatwork (3 1/2") you can take your total sf and divide by 81 in a perfect world for your yards needed, but I would use 75 is the number to divide to make sure you have enough. Or use 81, but round up.
You obviously know a lot more about concrete than I do but why do you use 81 and 75 to divide by. 81 corresponds to 4" thick and 75 corresponds to 4.35" but why not just Length X Width X Thickness in ft divided by 27. You can always round up or just order 10% extra. Just wondering.