SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

What is the difference between Swamp Dust and Swamp Fire? Just amount of cayenne?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOrtego View Post
if you end up with burning lips and fingers because they were seasoned in the ice chest, whoever did it, sucks!

you wont see/feel ANY seasoning on the outside of the crawfish if i season them in the ice chest, that i can guarantee along with they will NOT be bland. SOMEONE is doing a terrible job which gave y'all an awesome experience, which is why the blend i said we use is the FINEST(referring to grain) you can get.

y'all tempting me to buy a few sacks and put on a show lol

I can agree to this because I've had some very good, dusted crawfish. Very rarely though.

Too many people slather everything with so much seasoning that you can't taste what you're eating, yet everyone seems to enjoy it. I don't get it.

Good dusted crawfish will not be covered in granules, the fine/light dusting breaks down and leave steamy, juicy, tasty goodness
Old 05-15-2014, 06:27 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

My Moms side of the family (from Back Vacherie) use to season them in an ice chest. I never really cared for them like that.

I'd like to try the method of steaming in plain water them and dropping them into another pot with the seasoning in it.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post

I'd like to try the method of steaming in plain water them and dropping them into another pot with the seasoning in it.

I've done it this way and they come out good! The key is to get the seasoning pot to a certain temperature. Currently can't remember what temperature that is. But at this certain temperature they achieve maximum weight retention and soak in the most seasoning. It's just more work than I wanna do when boiling crawfish. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Crawfish that have been soaked in good seasoned water are by far better than any in a ice chest I ever ate. Not saying the ones you all cook are not good because I have never had them. Ate a few in my day. Just my opinion, but seems to be the opinion of many I talk too.

Also seen them over cooked in a closed ice chest several times. Nothing worse than overcooked crawfish.

Last edited by Super Spook; 05-15-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I've done it this way and they come out good! The key is to get the seasoning pot to a certain temperature. Currently can't remember what temperature that is. But at this certain temperature they achieve maximum weight retention and soak in the most seasoning. It's just more work than I wanna do when boiling crawfish. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seen a youtube video from a guy who competed in 60 team crawfish cookoff and cam out 4th and the steam and soak method is what he used. He said the pot with the seasoned water has to be between 140 and 145 degrees.

I can't get on youtube here but look for frog bones crawfish boil if this link doesnt work.....
Old 05-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 3,299

[quote=meaux fishing;689447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BArmand View Post

Any ideas what stores carry it ?
Go to a2fay.com for it. Shipped to front door.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Liquid boil, salt, butter, onions, 10 lg lemons quarters, bring to boil, add 1 sack (35lbs) crawdads, allow to come back to boil, time 4 minutes, cut heat & set 10 minutes. Put in chest and dust with fine powder season, not much. Plenty salt in boiling water, seasoned hot. Dey good sha!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
My Moms side of the family (from Back Vacherie) use to season them in an ice chest. I never really cared for them like that.

Haven't heard that in about 12 years. Worked in Taft for a few years. Seemed like there was always something going on "back Vacherie"

I boil in seasoned water, bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Cut fire off and bring temp down with half bag ice(8lb bag) leave lid off let soak while stirring once in a while for 10 or 12 minutes. The half bag of ice doesn't add much water, as far as worring about filling the pot or using to much seasoning. If you are in a spot were you can using a "hose pipe" as you say in Vacherie, with no spray nozzle can cool the pot enough to soak them. Just run the water on the out side of the pot til it stops steaming and you can touch the pot. I have done it both ways. No need for dusting cooking this way.