SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Cool im going to rap mine around my steering column

sent from my Galaxy NOTE II
Old 08-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
Gooh I have the same type of switch. If I fall out. The lanyard will be on me and who ever is in the boat wont be able to start it. Ive been teaching my boys how to drive the boat in case something should happen. That extra lanyard could be a life saver for you in the water

This is exactly why I made the decision, I've also been teaching my 8 yr old how to operate the boat.

From a dead stop, he took me from dry reef to the pass while working the trim and everything. He was also able to recall the compass heading back to the point if something should happen to the electronics. Can he remember now? Maybe not, but every time we hit the water I go through the vitals with him.

All the same goes for the wife too. When the water is low traffic, they are driving and getting comfortable with it.

Great feeling knowing the little guy can help me and/or himself if something went wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376853473.068369.jpg (46.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 562

Can an engine be cranked with the kill switch removed?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Sailfish

I dont have a compass. Never though of that. Ill have to put one. Also ill put an o sh*t sheet of paper In the dry box. With directions on what to do if.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by One On View Post
Can an engine be cranked with the kill switch removed?
Not unless it is a switch type.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...e=killswitches
Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

I always wear kill switch lanyard and PFD, kids must to do I, I witnessed a nasty wreck in Sharks Bayou a couple years ago, everyone was okay, but had the boat that threw 5 people out, including 3 kids, not run aground who know, I love to fish too much...

Now my kiddos wont let the boat move without lanyard connected and PFD...
Quote:
I dont have a compass. Never though of that. Ill have to put one. Also ill put an o sh*t sheet of paper In the dry box. With directions on what to do if.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck Attack View Post
Excellent idea about the extra lanyard, I will definitely pick up an extra one this week. I have reasonly got into the habit of wearing an autoinflatable Pfd and my lanyard. To much to risk loss not to wear it. I also encourage everyone on board to wear one. I carry five auto-inflatable and five standard life vest. Anyone under 16, always have one on when the engine is running.
I want to get 1 r 2 of those auto inflatable jackets. Any recommendations on which on to get.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,342

Quote:
I want to get 1 r 2 of those auto inflatable jackets. Any recommendations on which on to get.

I know a few years ago, you needed the Hydrostatic Inflation Technology, HIT, because the others would inflate in the rain or with enough moisture. Not sure today.

I have one and it is a Mustang HIT.

Last edited by Bluechip; 08-18-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

in my bay boat, it depends on the people and conditions. let me begin by saying we should always wear one while running regardless. This is how it usually works out in my boat.

Killswitch - always, i never operate the boat without this attached to me. Hint, i have a stretchable wrist strap from a cast net. i attached it to the killswithh clip and when I take it off I hang it on the throttle. makes it easy to remember to put it back on cause you gotta grab the throttle.

PFDs
-If its "the guys" and calm conditions, no we do not, rough, yes.
-Ladies or people i an not familiar with on the boat PDFs are worn unless it is slick calm.
-If there are kids onboard everyone wears, regardless of conditions.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I know a few years ago, you needed the Hydrostatic Inflation Technology, HIT, because the others would inflate in the rain or with enough moisture. Not sure today.

I have one and it is a Mustang HIT.

I know a guy that had 3 of them go off in his anchor storage lol.... I love to hear him tell the story. He wrangled with them and got them out but it took hours haha....

That was the style that had a tablet dissolve or something like that.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,189

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion: Cypremort Point Report - SaltyCajun.com

I know you've seen this alpha..... But I wanted to bring up my experience again. A second kill switch would have been good in my situation. I haven't driven the boat without a lifejacket on everyone in the boat since then.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Sailfish

After reading what happen to you in your post. I wear my life jacket and kill switch everytime thst engine starts smooth ruff it dont matter!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

[ATTACH]54703
I try and wear them both when running. I really don't want this to happen to me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376880223.149953.jpg (43.3 KB, 84 views)
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
[ATTACH]54703
I try and wear them both when running. I really don't want this to happen to me!

Wowza

That will take a stich or two to put things back together ....

Hydro
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I don't wear one in my boat. I do wear the kill switch religiously. I try to make myself where a life jacket when running at night. One time we were running down the intracoastal after a teal hunt and I was cruising along pretty good almost to gibbstown. My motor was kinda blowing out so I stopped took kill switch off to adjust my motor. Took off with 4 people hear and pirogues. Forgot to put my kill switch back on because we were close to launch. About the time I got to wot I hit a crosstie that was level with the water. Knocked the tiller out of my hand and boat started turning and bouncing in circles. I was falling out the boat half way in the water of I woulda went motor would have came right over me. I finally grabbed the tiller and shut it down. That was a very scary moment. Now I wear kill switch at all times.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Has anyone had a look at what they call the auto tether type systems. Think wireless kill switch, basically if you get more than 20 or so ft between the reciever and sending units it kills the engine.

I guess a possible benefit to this type system (in addition to not needing a physical tether) is that you can have multiple sending units.

Just curious if anyone has used and what there opinion is.

something like this.

http://autotether.com/at/how-it-works
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

On a trip w/a few members of this site i was thrown into the side and then into bottom of the boat and knocked out .another passenger was thrown out of the boat . Neither of us had PFDs on . If i would have gone overboard after hitting the side of the boat i may not have been here to talk about it.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:

Coastal and Mustang make quality inflatable life vest...I have a couple of each..choose one that is comfortable to wear....
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

i was thrown from a 14' boat with a 25 right by sam houston st. park came with in feet of boat coming back and hitting me. Swam to bank and my stepdad came and got me after about 30mins we tryed to figure out how to stop the boat from going in circles. it ended up catching a wave wrong and broke 3 of my stepdads ribs. My boat didn't have a kill switch and could have killed or hurt anyone who came around that curve. first thing i did was put a kill switch on it. Most people would not think it could happen to you but let me tell you when i hit what ever i hit it threw me like i was a rag doll and didn't blink. don't think for one second you can hold on. A seat belt i can understand if you hit something hey it only hurts you if that boat keeps going no telling whos kid or other sportsman you could hurt.......hell it might even get in the marsh and kill all that grass yall trying to save....lol

sorry end of preaching
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I wear my KS when its rough or when its dark/almost dark. I dont ever really wear life jackets in my boat but I tell people where they are and they are welcome to use them.
Didn't read the hole post, but i am the same way.