SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-18-2014, 12:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

I didn't sit tight when they cut our trout limits in half and cca sent every Texas member an email telling them to vote to support 5 trout/day and 2 flounder/day from nov. 1 till the middle of Dec. I spoke against it publicly, and texted, called, and emailed every tx fisherman i could to tell them that the cca is screwing us and to vote the opposite of the cca recommendation. But too many cool aid drinkers never questioned the authority of the almighty cca, and our limits got cut in half. With no science to back it up. In fact the flounder harvest data suggested that the fishery had rebounded significantly, so instead of letting the fishermen keep a few more this year, the extended the 2 flounder/day period by 50%!!!. I honestly don't get it?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

Also...sit tight...is another way of saying...I know something you don't know....what's the big secret?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM View Post
As I said about a month ago "those of you who doubt CCA's concern for our resources just sit tight".
You mean sit tight until CCA's main fundraising efforts are over for the year?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Truly sorry you feel that way and again your passion is so misguided that it is a shame. I would hope you, "W", kekar and the rest will put all of your concern for the resource and your collective energies expressed here on the interweb into forming an organization to accomplish the goals you seek. As I said about a month ago "those of you who doubt CCA's concern for our resources just sit tight".
We been sitting tight for a long long time while they are rapping west Cove down to the mud line with dredging and no plans of reseeding

CCA has nothing on tap for oyster dredging right now so tell us how long are we going to have to sit tight? How much longer will Long point be a land mark? How many more summers will the weirs choke the life out of the lake??

Are we as fisherman and sportsman suppose to be happy right now? Serious question?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Can one person Name 1 thing the CCA has done on Big Lake in last 15 years? Too save our estuary

Please do not say put a $650k reef in that was 100% donated that anyone could of done!!

Chernier Energy has done more than our own CCA
Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Can one person Name 1 thing the CCA has done on Big Lake in last 15 years? Too save our estuary

Please do not say put a $650k reef in that was 100% donated that anyone could of done!!

I was oblivious to this before these threads. I entered the star erry yr for the last 5yrs. This may be the first yr I don't!

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 04-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Was a member of CCA here in B,R,, Went to a meeting and had a few questions about why things were being done and how they were being done . The first 2 times i asked the question the person at the podium acted like he didn;t hear me so i said it quit loudly the 3rd time,
The speaker ignored me and abruptly changed the subject. Last time i had anything to do w/ CCA.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Sit tight boys, you're in good hands
Old 04-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I wish these CCA puppets would come talk to these crabbers here at Heberts, had a 2 hour talk with 4 of the just now, The older man been crabbing here all his life and last year and this year are his worst so far

Weirs Weirs Weirs killing the lake
Old 04-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Here is a good solution I heard from one today

Keep weirs open year around every set, rock Eddie a line from Old Jetties to Com pt..leaving 30 yard gaps

Rock wash out closed but leave release gaps
Old 04-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

heck why stop at big lake, they cant name one thing CCA has done anywhere in the state for inshore recreational anglers, but they have done a lot AGAINST our interests.

since the gill net ban all they have done is do fund raising and talk talk talk talk talk saying they are working hard (to justify the fund raising) but they never DO anything unless its to restrict fishing rights.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Here is your S.T.A.R and membership fee has gotten you in the last 10 years

In 2004...
Launched first-ever derelict crab trap removal program in the state.

In 2005...
Led successful effort to keep open-loop LNG terminals out of Gulf of Mexico.

In 2006...
Constructed Redfish Point Reef in Vermilion Bay. Established endowed scholarship in marine studies at University of Louisiana-Lafayette throught the newly created CCA Louisiana Foundation. Joined forces with other agencies in the Marine Debris Surveying and Mapping Program.

In 2007...
Constructed Turner’s Bay Artificial Reef in Calcasieu Lake.

In 2009...
Constructed Bird Island Artificial Reef and Point Mast Artificial Reef in Lake Pelto.

In 2010...
Construction began on two artificial reefs as part of the I-10 Twin Span projects in Lake Pontchartrain. Developed the CCA Louisiana/4-H Clubs Youth Program, bringing the positive message of CCA and coastal conservation to thousands of youth across Louisiana. Partnered with LDWF on the Cooperative Marine Fish Tagging Program, helping to create science based solutions for our fisheries management challenges. Coordinated the planning and construction of the I-10 Twin Span Reefs in Lake Pontchartrain, marking the first time in Louisiana that artificial reefs were made of recycled debris material. CCA Louisiana was named by Boating Magazine as one of 2010’s Eco Award Winner for positive impacts during the BP oil spill crisis. John Walther, CCA Artificial Reef Coordinator, was recognized by Field & Stream magazine as a 2010 Hero of Conservation. Worked closely with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and Governor Bobby Jindal’s Office to develop plans for a Saltwater Fish Hatchery in Louisiana to mitigate damages to the spawn and juvenile fish suffered during the BP oil spill crisis.

In 2011...
Constructed Independence Island Artificial Reef in Barataria Bay. Finished construction of the second phase of the I-10 Twin Span Reef Project in Lake Pontchartrain. Spearheaded the Floating Islands Project in Terrebonne Parish. About 1,500 linear feet of the islands were installed using two types of marsh grass to create a habitat component.

In 2012...
Constructed Brad Vincent Reef in Calcasieu Lake in Lake Charles. Began construction on the new artificial reef in Breton Sound.

What began as the concern of 14 conservationists talking in a sporting goods store has grown into a groundswell of support of 75,000 CCA members nationwide for far-sighted, responsible management of our fishery resources. Many goals have been met. Many issues remain. But it is up to the members of tomorrow to maintain the standard of excellence of the Coastal Conservation Association.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

ok I stand corrected, they built 7 artificial reefs

and what you said was interesting to note "What began as the concern of 14 conservationists talking in a sporting goods store" so maybe that explains why they are so disconnected from fishermens interests because they are conservationists and only concerned with conservation and don't care about or have any interest in championing fishermens rights.

everything they do is related to creating habitat (which help fishermen in the long run) and environmental concerns rather then representing fishermens rights being restricted or outright infringed upon.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
ok I stand corrected, they built 7 artificial reefs

everything they do is related to creating habitat
I don't mind the artificial reefs, but note the deception in the list where they neglect to mention lobbying for the reduction in speck limits in 2005, lobbying for tripletail limits in 2013, or supporting the 136% saltwater license increase in 2014.

Also note that they fail to mention missed opportunities: they failed to oppose oyster dredging which began in 2005. They've also failed to get any meaningful science done relating to the destruction of oyster reefs. Building a few artificial reefs is small potatoes compared with the volume of high quality natural oyster reefs that have been lost in Louisiana since 2005.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Yes I agree building a Reef is... great but that is not what CCA is suppose to be doing 1st! 1st job is to protect and better our resources and estuary!

Like I said and always will say

I will support the CCA and donate thousands a year if they support us! Show us you care, show us your out on the waters trying to make things happen, show up at landings on weekends and talk to people, stop letting people with $$$$ make the rules

Come be for us!! Come show us!! Come prove you are for us!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Truly sorry you feel that way and again your passion is so misguided that it is a shame. I would hope you, "W", kekar and the rest will put all of your concern for the resource and your collective energies expressed here on the interweb into forming an organization to accomplish the goals you seek. As I said about a month ago "those of you who doubt CCA's concern for our resources just sit tight".
Please just admit that instead of changing limits and building reefs they should have been more worried about oysters and rocking ship channel. Limits don't matter when there is no food source.

Also tripletail should have been last thing on their mind with all of the other problems going on in coastal louisiana.

Everyone that supports CCA keeps saying to sit tight, but can't give any facts on anything going on.

Yall are right, *****ing online probably does nothing but bring these topics a little more publicity, but it's hard to go to meetings when CCA doesn't give a rats *** what anyone says about the trout limit change or tripletail limits. If CCA supporters truly believed anyone else's opinions mattered on these topics and could have changed the outcome, yall are the truly misguided ones.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Swordfish

You also omitted ,Pushed to kill bow fishing for red fish state wide in 2012.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:54 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
You also omitted ,Pushed to kill bow fishing for red fish state wide in 2012.
Not going to lie, I have an issue with the bowfishing thing when people are not putting the fish to use, i.e., throwing them away. I don't know how big an issue that was with reddish, but I've seen it with gar. Don't kill something if you aren't going to eat it or give it to someone to eat.

What exactly was CCA's reason for pushing the ban? No catch and release in bowfishing? I can't see any other reason but that.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Swordfish

I won't shoot something i'm not going to eat. CCA said that the bow fisherman couldn't tell whether a red fish was over the 16" minimum in the water therefore they had to be shooting under size fish.
Few times i have been if it was even close the guides would say no shot.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I won't shoot something i'm not going to eat. CCA said that the bow fisherman couldn't tell whether a red fish was over the 16" minimum in the water therefore they had to be shooting under size fish.
Few times i have been if it was even close the guides would say no shot.
Well that does make sense. It isn't the easiest thing to tell a 15" from a 16" in the water.