SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRob View Post
So BaySlayer you play with an expensive video game, some people have all the luck.
Somebodys gotta do it!! lol And you know I never liked video games as a kid. I never even owned one. I stayed fishing in the bayou and playing outside my whole childhood.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 634

Production Operator also but on land for BP
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
King Mackeral

Default Going out tomorrow

Well guys I will be going offshore tomorrow so no more fishing for a while...........but the good news is I will have internet and will be able to keep up with this site!! I probably wont get back until August.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Redfish

Cash: 652

Mud engineer 14 and 14, i love having half the year off. But not much work lately
Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Working as consultant in oilfield. Currently have office job in Laf, little travel every now and then. Home every night, off every weekend - for now, but subject to change!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I am a Control Room Operator/Ballast Control Operator on Ursa(MC-809A). Work 14/14 schedule.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Flounder

Cash: 673
Default Oilfield worker here!

I have met several of you guys, I am currently in production, our area consist of South Marsh and Eugene Island. I have 25 years with MMS.
When I work with people I always ask if they fish! And where are they from? I have made alot of friends out there in the oil field. Look forward to meeting many more of you guys, and talking about fishing!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271
Default bay slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_slayer View Post
I work offshore as an Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) Supervisor. And make myself sick thinking about fishing while I'm offshore.
you wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Oceaneering in Morgan City, would you? We do the Dimensional Control for them sometimes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

Petroleum Landman..... Handle mineral leasing and surface negotiations for several clients.....
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
you wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Oceaneering in Morgan City, would you? We do the Dimensional Control for them sometimes

Yeah I work out of the Morgan City office. I'm offshore right now on BISSO barge In Vermillion block 201, doing some salvage work for rowan marine. At least they let us fish off of here.......all the fish you could want!!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:59 AM
Redfish

Cash: 852

Worked 91-98 for Schlumberger Dowell, mainly out of Morgan City/Berwick for Texaco and then Ocean Energy out of Venice. Then got into the production end via Greystar(cheap bastards)before landing a gig with Valero Refinery, as an operator, here in Houston for the last 10 years.

Had some good times in South La....especially on those hurricane evacuations! Rotating or shiftwork schedule is the only way to go.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Redfish

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
Worked 91-98 for Schlumberger Dowell, mainly out of Morgan City/Berwick for Texaco and then Ocean Energy out of Venice. Then got into the production end via Greystar(cheap bastards)before landing a gig with Valero Refinery, as an operator, here in Houston for the last 10 years.

Had some good times in South La....especially on those hurricane evacuations! Rotating or shiftwork schedule is the only way to go.
I've been trying to get in the plants as an operator my-self!! I worked turnarounds for 3yrs before getting in production! I worked for grasso, greystar ( in Garden City for Conoco) under Barry Holley... (damn right they're cheap!). I now work for Island on the Apache contract... its not that bad! If you here of any openings in the plants to hesitate to let me know.... I have friends who work for Oxy-chem in Deer Park and a couple of guys that work in Shell but they're all froze when it comes to hiring right now.... The wife wants me off the water and home every night... I wouldn't complain!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToledoBendBomber View Post
I've been trying to get in the plants as an operator my-self!! I worked turnarounds for 3yrs before getting in production! I worked for grasso, greystar ( in Garden City for Conoco) under Barry Holley... (damn right they're cheap!). I now work for Island on the Apache contract... its not that bad! If you here of any openings in the plants to hesitate to let me know.... I have friends who work for Oxy-chem in Deer Park and a couple of guys that work in Shell but they're all froze when it comes to hiring right now.... The wife wants me off the water and home every night... I wouldn't complain!!!
I'll keep my ears open, but its tough right now. I know BP in Texas City hires a lot...I'd get a resume and app to them ASAP. Don't believe all the hype about how bad it is there either...I have friends that left Valero for there, and are glad they did.
You won't be going wrong getting off the water. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but theres something about being able to just get away, maybe drink a beer or 10, see the family, not have to hang out with a buncha guys for 14 that I prefer....not to mention the pays a little better.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Shell Deer Park refinery laid off 200 staff a couple weeks ago, by performance, not seniority.
They have not hit the hourly yet, but they did shut down the solvents plant and
about half of the chemical plant. They think that in the next year or so, they will
lose enough thru retirement and transfers that they may not hit the hourly guys.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
I'll keep my ears open, but its tough right now. I know BP in Texas City hires a lot...I'd get a resume and app to them ASAP. Don't believe all the hype about how bad it is there either...I have friends that left Valero for there, and are glad they did.
You won't be going wrong getting off the water. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but theres something about being able to just get away, maybe drink a beer or 10, see the family, not have to hang out with a buncha guys for 14 that I prefer....not to mention the pays a little better.
I was offered a job in Texas City for BP about two years ago.....Only reason I turned it down was becasue I had to move 45mins from plant.....
Old 07-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I was offered a job in Texas City for BP about two years ago.....Only reason I turned it down was becasue I had to move 45mins from plant.....
Huh...45 minutes ain't ****, but why?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Shell Deer Park refinery laid off 200 staff a couple weeks ago, by performance, not seniority.
They have not hit the hourly yet, but they did shut down the solvents plant and
about half of the chemical plant. They think that in the next year or so, they will
lose enough thru retirement and transfers that they may not hit the hourly guys.
Got a friend that works there and he said the same thing. I know there's a lot of upper management/ office types here that could go and probably not be missed. Right now they've just about tapped the poor azz hourly operations/maintenance guy as much as possible. They've cut all OT, screwed our vacation schedule to hell, and doubled our duties thru cross training.....but hey, at least I have a job.
I'll guess I'll just ride the Obama wave into the ****ter with everybody else!

On another note...we had a meeting with management and they painted a bleak future for refining in America for the next 5 years or so. They said possibly half of the refinerie's in America will be closed due to legislation that makes it unprofitible to stay up and running. I don't know if thats just a scare tactic by UM, guess we'll wait and see.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Huh...45 minutes ain't ****, but why?

The job I was offered was on the Pipeline and you have to live 45mins from plant(office) to get hired!!! The money was no better than my job now and same sked?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
The job I was offered was on the Pipeline and you have to live 45mins from plant(office) to get hired!!! The money was no better than my job now and same sked?
Gotcha
Old 07-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

Quote:
Yep thats what Im lookin fer!!! but I imagine I'm going to have to wait it out until everything gets a bit more settled.... But thanks for the heads up!!! Ill send'em my resume and see where it goes!