SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

That's the tedious labor intensive part. Looking good Gringo.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Flounder

Cash: 728

it's coming along nicely!

Do you plan on adding any sound dampening material to the inside of the motor box?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidewateR View Post
it's coming along nicely!

Do you plan on adding any sound dampening material to the inside of the motor box?
Maybe ? I'll probably start it up and listen to it first, i think the foam core should help a little?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Trophy Trout

This is how we decided to build the front cap. I was going to do the frame think like the rest of the boat, but i don’t know how to calculate out all the lengths with a section that is curved (I guess I could figure it out with google and math, but that wouldn’t have been much fun). And this way we have an anchor locker up front, and a nice solid back to the front bench, and it makes it a little stronger because up front we are going to put the tie offs for the mooring that the boat is going to sit on. Here’s the progression:

We started with just a cap that we made from tracing the outside of the boat, and then tracing our widths from the outside in, and then making the door jamb for the anchor locker. We glass this side (the bottom) and will leave the other side bare so the foam stays flexible until we put it in place.

Then in the morning we were trying to line up another piece and Harol commented that he wished we had 10 squares. So i got a piece of plywood and we traced the square and cut out some more.

Then with those in place, we wrapped a piece of foam around the inside of the wooden squares. we measured the highest part and made all the foam the height of the highest part, we’ll put it in the boat and then trim it down little by little until we get it to fit

And then we glassed the bottom part of the foam to the cap

Tomorrow we’ll have that in the boat probably early. While the top was drying, we went ahead and stuck down a couple of the back caps:

Old 08-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Today was productive day here in Quepos Costa Rica, but man this border just eats time. I started today off with me finishing up the cap.

The top outside edge is just rough cut, that's why it's a bit not straight, but that's an easy fix Monday.

While I was cutting foam, Harold was up front installing the front bench backrest.

Usually it's me Harold and a homeless guy working on this thing, but today the homeless guy was super drunk, so it was just the two of us today. I went ahead and finished cutting all the pieces of the borders for both sides, and the last three pieces are drying on the table, we glassed the bottom sides. While I was doing that, Harold rounded the edges of the border that we have installed and it looks massively better!

We both died about 4pm today, usually we work a bit later, but we were both out of gas. This Quepos Fishing machine is getting close to getting wet, I am going to spend an hour or so tomorrow sticking down the last cap pieces, so Monday they will be dry, we can sand everything and I think finally we'll get the border glassed. Then next week I have to do some work on the rudder / piston installation, then we are going to install the last bit of floor in the back, build the live well, put in a couple of motor breathers and somewhere in those goals, the clock is going to run out and I'm going to have to wait until October to finish
Old 08-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Today stunk. We really hit it hard in the morning and got everything rounded off and even and ready to glass, and then for the first time in months, we got a daytime super storm! Usually here it never rains until 4-5pm at the earliest, but today right at lunch it came down hard. And our roof isn't really in good condition Anyways, here's the last pre fiberglass pictures:

And here's all the fiberglass cut and ready to stick on!

And here's a monsoon picture...Maybe tomorrow?

Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Swordfish

Looking good, she has some really nice lines, hopefully you enjoyed your afternoon off.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Not really, I kind of went home upset, I was looking forward to getting everything glassed up. We're going to hit it hard this morning though!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Today was a bit better. We went after the glass first thing in the morning and had everything glassed in by 9am.

And with the hot morning sun here, that was pretty dry by 10:30 so we went ahead and painted on resin with MicroSpheres to fill in all the bi axial weave.

And while the guys were doing that, i started on the steering piston / rudder bracket install.

We started with putting a piece of 1/2 corecell on the transom, then three layers of 1708, then another 1/2 corecell, then 5 layers of 1708. The idea is we are going to take a hole saw and pull off the outside layer of corecell where the bolts go through to hold on the bracket, and then put the foam back in and glass over it from the outside, hiding the bolts. I'm not a very good explainer, but as we progress I'll post photos and it'll make more sense. Here's the finished transom ready for the bracket:

And then i broke out my Ghetto welding skills and started welding some 2 inch stainless that was in the shop to make it 4 inch and started building the bracket!

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow, this looks like it will be our last week of intense work, i will probably do stuff by myself, but the pace is about to slow down so i don't burn much materials. Got two days left, I have to bring a friend to Panama on Thursday so not much time to get this thing together!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Wow, today kicked my butt. I'm not really a welder, but I've always had a welding machine and I like making metal puddles, but today was a lot of welding! In order to put the back section of floor in, i had to build the bracket that holds the rudder on one side and the piston on the other. And then something I started doing a couple of boat back is I also weld a bottom part onto the bracket that has two screws through the hull and where the zinc goes. That way the steering piston and rudder are hard wired to the zinc and last longer. Here's what we started with, this was 2 inches wide and yesterday I welded the pieces together to make them 4 inches wide:

Then we drilled alot of holes, in the metal and the hull. I didn't put them in a straight line as I thought this would be stronger. The two ends are in the middle so they sit good, but the middle I staggered.

Here a picture of when we only had two screws mounted and we were drilling the others. I always try to drill everything in place and weld it assembled. We then went with a hole saw on the outside to take off the first layer of glass and foam to hide the nuts.

And then we actually took our time and lined up carefully the top rudder support and I welded it in place.

Then i added the bottom part where the zinc will go, welded all the screws in place and took everything off to finish up the welds. I tacked it in place, but I don't want to cook my corecell, so we had to weld it outside the boat. While I was tacking everything (with it touching the hull), somebody was spraying the hull with water, we made lots of steam.

Since I'm going to Panama tomorrow and Harold can't weld, we put in a late day. I'll post daytime pictures when i get back, but in the meantime here's some finished pictures taken with a flash

We mounted it in with really thick resin and cabosil behind it to really give it a good base, it fit pretty flush, but the putty will make it stronger. And we grinded the back of the stainless with 36 grit and cleaned it a bunch with paint thinner to make sure it got a good bond. And then we filled the outside holes with resin and cabosil also, to hide the bolts!

And now I'm home and going to bed! No pictures tomorrow as I'm out of country, but we'll post some more up here Friday!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

you dont have to be a good welder, you just have to be a good grinder
Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Yep, that's the first rule of ghetto welding, grind of the bead and nobody will know!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoJohn View Post
Yep, that's the first rule of ghetto welding, grind of the bead and nobody will know!
I was a welders helper for a while... I know the rule all to well lol
Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

That doesnt look like a bad welding job to me but whatcdo I know.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Lots of work, but not a lot of pictures. We got the last section of floor in, and then built the whole bottom part of the live well, rounded the edges of the live well and then glassed it in thick to the transom. We put 3 layers on each of the 4 corners where it ties into the back so that it will support the transom.

We started fitting the deck hatches, they still lack some work, but at least we have them cut out and stuck together. They are 1 inch thick, so we had to stick two 1/2 corecell layers together to make each hatch.

Then we cut the hole between the motor box and the bathroom where the engine will draw fresh clean air. That also helps keep the bathroom air from getting smoky, the engine will cycle the air in there often. We are making a 4 inch fiberglass tube right now and it's drying, but the idea is to connect a hose from the intake turbo to the wall, not just leave a hole there, tomorrow we should have the intake hose connection installed. In the bathroom, we are making a box with holes in it where the motor will suck air from.

And then we started building the fresh air intakes on the side of the hull, they are boxes and then I'll put a blower on one side of the motor to pump air out the side.

And I think I'm going to try to do one more week of work. In one more week, I could have everything glass built and only have fairing left, and probably knock some of that out as well. And I'll be closer!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

When you watch something like this it helps you to appreciate why boats cost so much.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Trophy Trout

Yep, it's pretty nuts the amount of time these things steal while you build them. But it beats watching TV
Old 08-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Didn't bring the camera yesterday so i had to run out there today to get the shots! We started by putting in the two motor box breathers, those are the boxes on either side of where the motor goes. They also reinforced the sides which wobbled a bit.

And then i took a hole saw and cut two holes and connected them with a jigsaw to make the outside part where it will get air and blow out (One side in one side out)

We built the floor and the top of the livewell, didn't get a chance to fiberglass the top of the livewell on because we ran out of resin, but the floor is done, we also made the inside corners more round with a thin laminate to keep the amount of corners down so the fish live longer. We are going to paint the inside black as well, i think that helps the bait live longer. We decided to piece together some pieces of foam instead of cutting a whole sheet, and the underside of the top is already glassed.

And then we built the air intake for the motor itself. The other intakes are for the fresh air inside the box, but this is the box the motor will actually get the running air from. We are going to put holes in the front, side and bottom so that it can't get a bag stuck to it or anything like that.

Tomorrow, we are going to keep going and finish up the live well and then we are going to using the micro-spheres and resin and try to fair out the boat a bit this week.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Not too much to show, we are mostly sanding and fairing. We did manage to get the Livewell glassed in:

And a funny picture. We buy used clothes and get this big bag for 2 bucks, and we wear the clothes once and then throw them out as they are full of glass. Today Harold got a pink Kimono

Old 09-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Swordfish

Have him tell everyone that's his Caitlyn Jenner Halloween Costume.