SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
lf your from Texas then yes, every fish over 18" should be released; it makes them feel warm and fuzzy.

BTW-I believe in CPR and release almost all fish over 5-6lbs.
I also believe in CPR

Catch
Prepare
Release into pot of grease

---------------------------------------------------------------

as for the comments of keeping fish:

no one should be arrogant enough to think they have any right to tell others which fish they should or shouldn't be keeping.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919

Man's gotta eat
Old 02-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychamp1 View Post
So all the talk about tagging and releasing the majority of reds you caught & moving the fishing boundaries out from the weirs, that you & Captain Rue brainstormed because so many people were catching easy prey reds was not a conservation effort but just all bull****?
We taking about redfish or trout ?

Let me start with redfish @ weirs since you brought that up .
#1 70% of reds caught at weirs are taken illegally passed the signs
#2 these fish only have 1 way in and out and should have a chance to move in and out of passing lane with out being caught.
#3 redfish limit is 5 per person so as long as you keep your limit at the weirs by fishing legal you are doing it "conversation" style !
#4 tagging ? I only tagged fish in hopes of recapture by someone and that info gives me more understanding of fish patterns like how far it moved , they location I tagged it to location it was caught
Time of year etc...

For as trout our limits are set way to low right now and so keeping 15 trout over 8lbs or 15 @ 12 inches is all the same

I personally release most fish I catch over 6lbs unless I have a customer who wants it to eat or it's too bad of shape to swim off !
Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

Since we are talking about weirs and guides in this thread, Ill throw in my 2 cents.

I have only fished weirs 3 times. Once with son, once with wife when I first started fishing BL and once with a few guys from this site. 2 of the 3 times I have been there, indeed it were the guides in there up past the signs, What guides I have no idea, but we know a guide boat when we see it. Hell I may have a picture of this

Both times the present guide boat got his fill and didn't move until a "replacement" guide boat came in and took his spot, past the signs.

That's been my experience with the weirs................
Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychamp1 View Post
No just common sense, weigh the fish & take a picture before releasing, what have you accomplished by cutting a fish that size? It's called conservation.
So that fish hasn't laid millions and millions of eggs with great genes by that time in it's life?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
So that fish hasn't laid millions and millions of eggs with great genes by that time in it's life?

Egggggsactly!!!! Their argument is futile.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Need to target the big ones since they at the end of their lives. Let the littles have a chance
Old 02-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

The big trout may be more successful though at having babies since they have done it before. Probably know where to make their beds and what substrate is best for making the beds
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Mallard Matt:
I haven't read all 6 pages of replies but my $0.02 is that the forum is pretty helpful even though there's some goofy stuff on here too. There are three of four people that I read consistently and if you find someone who posts a good report, follow their history and chances are you'll find even better information.
Also, I've learned that sharing any info I have (even though I'm a relative newb and still very much learning by trial and error), no matter how trivial, will help people be more inclined to share their info as well.
I'll help you any way I can with anything you're lookin for if I have any info.
Have a good one, and let's all remember to always keep our shirts on.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

#AllTroutLivesMatter
Old 02-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:

#2 these fish only have 1 way in and out and should have a chance to move in and out of passing lane with out being caught.
#3 redfish limit is 5 per person so as long as you keep your limit at the weirs by fishing legal you are doing it "conversation" style !
#4 tagging ? I only tagged fish in hopes of recapture by someone and that info gives me more understanding of fish patterns like how far it moved , they location I tagged it to location it was caught
Time of year etc...

For as trout our limits are set way to low right now and so keeping 15 trout over 8lbs or 15 @ 12 inches is all the same

I personally release most fish I catch over 6lbs unless I have a customer who wants it to eat or it's too bad of shape to swim off !

#2 and #3 are subjective rules that were created by "the man"

A limit is a limit as long as you're using hook and line. Some BS arbitrary distance created for fairness to the fish is just that, BS. What if "the man" said you have to be 300 yards away from the weir bc its just not fair, or 175yd or 263 yds?

Personally I love yanking reds out of the weirs and would do it any chance it was presented, and if it was up to me I'd tie off to the weir itself, get my limit(s) and head back home. They all fight the same and they damn sure all taste the same. But do to every tom, rick, and harry out there that can't navigate a vessel safely we have precautions that have to take place. I can only imagine the bottleneck and fights we'd have at that thing if there was no distance restriction.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
#2 and #3 are subjective rules that were created by "the man"

A limit is a limit as long as you're using hook and line. Some BS arbitrary distance created for fairness to the fish is just that, BS. What if "the man" said you have to be 300 yards away from the weir bc its just not fair, or 175yd or 263 yds?

Personally I love yanking reds out of the weirs and would do it any chance it was presented, and if it was up to me I'd tie off to the weir itself, get my limit(s) and head back home. They all fight the same and they damn sure all taste the same. But do to every tom, rick, and harry out there that can't navigate a vessel safely we have precautions that have to take place. I can only imagine the bottleneck and fights we'd have at that thing if there was no distance restriction.

that poor RICK cant drive a boat to save his life...
Old 02-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,225

FYI an infraction was given for this comment:

That big speck should have been released, in April or May it could weigh 7 - 8 lbs. and populate the estuary

Please keep your opinions to yourselves on fishing reports.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

There's really no good way to convey sarcasm over there internet so lots of it gets misunderstood or taken out of context. Talking smack is part of fishing, hunting, or anything else that men do amongst themselves. Especially in south Louisiana. A guy I worked with from Mississippi said it best, "you coonass's are the masters of giving each other $hit".

With that being said I would really love to have a place for a legit discussion on fishing. I will admit that very little of that goes on here. I really don't mind helping anyone who is learning or that I am pretty sure isn't a complete turd. I think the exchange of information would be a lot better if the reports could not be viewed by everyone. Set up basic guidelines for posting a report like bait, time of day, weather, tide, etc and only give access to the reports thread to users who have posted a verified report in the last month and a half or 2 months. The guides could still post their advertisements in the discussion page, but leave the reports for the guys that are serious fisherman who want to help each other out. Just my two cents.

I also wonder with all the CCA and other conservation types that fish Big Lake, why haven't they established something like a Share a Lunker program out there. Say you catch a 7.5 lb or 8 lb fish. If you take it in get it weighed, measured, and released alive you should get a free replica mount? I think it would be a lot cheaper that putting in another artificial reef that will be washed away in a couple of years and you would save a lot more big fish.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I just heard Toledo dropped to #683 on the list of best lakes in the country. Sam Rayburn is #1... You guys should probably go there instead..
Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I just heard Toledo dropped to #683 on the list of best lakes in the country. Sam Rayburn is #1... You guys should probably go there instead..
Never been there, what makes SR so good?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
FYI an infraction was given for this comment:

That big speck should have been released, in April or May it could weigh 7 - 8 lbs. and populate the estuary

Please keep your opinions to yourselves on fishing reports.
People post their opinions all the time...you must stay busy..
Old 02-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post

I also wonder with all the CCA and other conservation types that fish Big Lake, why haven't they established something like a Share a Lunker program out there. Say you catch a 7.5 lb or 8 lb fish. If you take it in get it weighed, measured, and released alive you should get a free replica mount? I think it would be a lot cheaper that putting in another artificial reef that will be washed away in a couple of years and you would save a lot more big fish.
2 things

#1 who would pay for it ?
#2 big trout are probably the hardest sport fish to keep alive
Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
2 things

#1 who would pay for it ?

#2 big trout are probably the hardest sport fish to keep alive

The CCA would pay for it instead of paying for some of other useless program. And big trout are hard to keep alive it's true. So it wouldn't cost that much money. Even if one and five make it that's still better than zero making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
The CCA would pay for it instead of paying for some of other useless program. And big trout are hard to keep alive it's true. So it wouldn't cost that much money. Even if one and five make it that's still better than zero making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing is free from the CCA
That's the problem
If the CCA had a lunker program on big lake the 1st rule would be
You have to be a CCA member to be eligible

They are all about sunshine pumping with nothing to show for it at all !
Big Lake had 3 major problems and CCA is nowhere to be found on just 1 of them ! Nor does the CCA care too , just join STAR and try and win a Boat
Is about what CCA has become . Just a summer long tournament