SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 10-17-2015, 04:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

I don't use spinning rods all that often but keep a few on my boat for people to use. I have been though a few poles but now I stick to H20 Express and Falcon. You can return either brand to academy and they will exchange it. The same goes for Allstar but I don't care for them. The 100$ blue H20 Express Nano and the Falcon Med Popper are the two best rods for the money. Have a Mojo Bass med that is really heavy but a good rod as well. You can toss braid a lot further so I would stick to braid if you are worried about casting distance. I think you can get away with a lighter braid with a spinning rod because it doesn't backlash like a bait caster. Suffix is good stuff but a little more than power pro. Sometimes you can find you can find a 300 yard role for the same as power pro. I use both. I have tried Finns and found it brittle.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
I don't use spinning rods all that often but keep a few on my boat for people to use. I have been though a few poles but now I stick to H20 Express and Falcon. You can return either brand to academy and they will exchange it. The same goes for Allstar but I don't care for them. The 100$ blue H20 Express Nano and the Falcon Med Popper are the two best rods for the money. Have a Mojo Bass med that is really heavy but a good rod as well. You can toss braid a lot further so I would stick to braid if you are worried about casting distance. I think you can get away with a lighter braid with a spinning rod because it doesn't backlash like a bait caster. Suffix is good stuff but a little more than power pro. Sometimes you can find you can find a 300 yard role for the same as power pro. I use both. I have tried Finns and found it brittle.
100% agree on the blue H2O nano. Last time I was at Academy I saw them on sale for $50.00 I bought 2.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 620

I switched to all spinning rods about 5 years ago just as soon as I found out about Fireline. I use Shimano Stradic FJ 2500 reels with 10 # Fireline and a fluorocarbon leader of about 12-14". I have land many big reds with zero problems and this rig will cast a mile. I can use med/light actions rods because of the no-stretch line. You will wish you had switched earlier!!
Old 10-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Am I the only one who doesn't even think about putting an entire spool of braid on a reel? I go about 80 yards - enough for even the most heroic downhill cast with mono backing with a uni to uni knot. Doesn't affect casting, get three fillups on 250 yd spools.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post

Anyway, I recently ordered the new Shimano Stradic FK because the drag is rated at 20# vs. the CI4+ that many here use and I want to see if I can use this reel as an all around reel, i.e. specks to big reds without having to worry about being over or under powered. Now that I'm going to have a super reel, I'm trying to decide two other things (naturally): what rod to use and what line to use? I'm thinking power pro 10-15, but maybe mono is best? Also, I'm not sure about the rod because I've heard that braid will cut into the eyes on most rods. Is there a brand that doesn't happen with? I'm thinking medium so I can still horse in a 2-5 lb. fish without breaking the rod tip? Price range is negotiable cuz I just came into a little "mad money" and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Any advice will be appreciated. Let the games begin!
I use 30 lb braid because anything less I end up with cuts all over my hands at the end of the day. I have a mix of powerpro and fins windtamer on my spools and after a few trips I can't really tell the difference performance wise as all the coatings wear off after a while.

You don't have to worry about braid cutting into guides as long as they have a ceramic insert. Incidentally most medium priced rods have ceramic inserts nowadays.

Everytime I spend money on a rod I ignore the price tag and look for how well it balances and how light the entire setup is. I fish with artificials except for 3 months out of the year. That's a lot of casting to be done. Every ounce counts.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Redfish

Cash: 658
Default Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyworm View Post
I switched to all spinning rods about 5 years ago just as soon as I found out about Fireline. I use Shimano Stradic FJ 2500 reels with 10 # Fireline and a fluorocarbon leader of about 12-14". I have land many big reds with zero problems and this rig will cast a mile. I can use med/light actions rods because of the no-stretch line. You will wish you had switched earlier!!
What color Fireline do you use?
Old 10-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Sand Trout

Crystal (white)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 430

Been too busy to fish, Sorry but no advice on rods, but if you need a prop. I'm your guy.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Quote:
Got my reel in and spooled it with about 20 yds. of mono, then about 100 yds. of PP Super Slick then a two ft. leader of flouro. Love the way it casts, even with a small jighead, at least twice as far as I could throw with my Curado.

Thanks for all the input. I'm guessing I'll be adding more spinning reels and storing my bait casters. I'm sure there are many on here that can cast well with bait casters, I'm just not one of them.

Last edited by cajun bill; 10-21-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add a few words
Old 10-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 658
Default leader

Quote:
Crystal (white)
I'm sorry, I should have added "and how long a leader do you generally use?"

Thanks
Old 10-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Sand Trout

12" to 18". I tie directly to the Fireline and also to my jig or top water, no swivels.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:54 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
Got my reel in and spooled it with about 20 yds. of mono, then about 100 yds. of PP Super Slick then a two ft. leader of flouro. Love the way it casts, even with a small jighead, at least twice as far as I could throw with my Curado.

Thanks for all the input. I'm guessing I'll be adding more spinning reels and storing my bait casters. I'm sure there are many on here that can cast well with bait casters, I'm just not one of them.
I find to get any distance into the wind with a bait caster you have to be able to whip the hell out of it. Tighten down the spool tension and try and throw your bait about eye level below the teeth of the wind. Having too many breaks out on your reel will really kill distance. I like to kick one out and just go tight on the spool. Med Light rods work best for me. Just make sure there is nothing behind you.