SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 525
Default Boat/trailer registration info

I'm pretty sure there are 100 threads on this somewhere but I'm to lazy to look. Here,s the deal: my neighbor has a 16 foot boat/trailer but doesn't have tile or registration papers for either. He says he bought it from his buddy out of state a few years back.
What's the process on getting the boat/trailer registered, licensed, put in my name, etc, etc....
Can anyone get me a list or a link of everything I need to do?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Flounder

Cash: 688
Default You got a headache ahead of you

i would buy another boat, even if he gives it to you....out of state stuff is very hard to do when its like you have it like it is right now
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Yep. You MUST have a notarized bill of sale and title for the trailer and the registration, title or manufactures documents along with the notarized bill of sale for it to register a boat. If you try to register a homemade boat you need a receipt for material and to bring it for inspection.

Run don't walk from any boat without paperwork. It will become yard art.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Grind dem numbers off and get an aluminum shop to print you a BOM! BAM registered homemade boat and trailer!

Just kidding of course for all of the internet police men out there.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

I'd buy another boat. I inherited a boat from my dad and had to end up buying a new trailer because South Carolina didn't have a title or registration for it. It is a total PITA
Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Gonna weigh in here with pretty much the same that everyone's telling you.

I brought a boat down to louisiana that i purchased in maryland (which was fully titled, registered etc....legal in maryland and in my name)

In order to get it registered in LA it took no less than 1 trip to local tax office, 2 trips to a regional office 1 dnr and 1 assesment type place in alexandria, and about 12 different forms to fill out... Was an unnecessarily difficult process. Should have just sold my boat in maryland and boat something new down here.

It's a whole lot more than just running to the DMV.... add the fact that you have to find some method to get a title & paperwork on the boat... probably not gonna be worth it.

Find you a nice big private pond and use that there.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Actually, you can go to court and get a court order recognizing ownership:

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...shipofboat.pdf

If your neighbor jumps through the hoops, gets the Affidavit/Court Order of ownership and then gets a Louisiana title, buying the boat from him is a piece of cake.

Just have him jump through the hoops so you don't have to.

Last edited by MathGeek; 10-02-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

I understand how they may be preventing re-registering stolen boats, but who the f**k thought out this hairbrained process of having a boat registered? I have all of the material and machinery at my disposal to build my own boat, but from the sounds of things it's easier for me just to go drop stupid money on a production line POS just to divert the governmental BS. Really is pathetic!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

It is very easy to have a boat registration transferred from Colorado to Louisiana.

It is also very easy to register a boat in Colorado. You need not live in Colorado, you only need to intend to use your boat in Colorado the year it is registered. If your plans change, you should probably transfer the registration to the state where you end up using the boat.

http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCol...gForm11-09.pdf

This suggests a possible strategy of registering a boat in Colorado, per the form above, and then transferring the boat registration to Louisiana.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I understand how they may be preventing re-registering stolen boats, but who the f**k thought out this hairbrained process of having a boat registered? I have all of the material and machinery at my disposal to build my own boat, but from the sounds of things it's easier for me just to go drop stupid money on a production line POS just to divert the governmental BS. Really is pathetic!
Its fairly simple to register a homemade hull. Call LDWF set up an appointment and bring your boat with receipts for materials or I think they can come to you. Its the transfer or a pre-registered boat or trailer without a notarized bill of sale that is pathetic...A boat without proper papers is pretty much worthless.