SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,341
Default 10,000 members

From a meek beginning on May 3, 2009 this site has grown to over 10,000 members. It has changed ownership a couple of times, gone through some lows and highs, but one thing has been consistent, the willingness of the members to help each other and the capacity to help those in need.

Casey has grown the site tremendously and I believe it will keep growing over the years.

We look forward to the next 10,000 members and appreciate all of you.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Its been a fun ride in the short time i've been here. I think its a top notch job by Casey and the moderators. Good luck to all involved.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

congratulations this is one of the best run websites around and it will continue to get bigger and bigger because of how well it is run and the great moderators we have here who understand what a moderators job is and how the forums should be run.

I came here from LAS because I had enough of that immature childish website. it only survives off of the popularity of the magazine and is only interested in creating forms of income even at the expense of its members.

the forums there became a place the average person felt unwelcomed at and very hesitant to post anything for fear of being attacked or targeted by trolls. the moderators not only think its ok to harass and insult other members. one moderator posted in the thread and encouraged the harassment to continue and defended allowing it happen by saying it was his decision to decide whats allowed and if people don't like it they should just leave.

it was widely denounced by other posts in that thread and several members reported this outrageous attitude for a moderator to have and voice it openly in the public forum, only to have tony say nothing and do nothing about it.

this moderator continues to encourage harassment of members who voice an opinion not liked by him or his "friends". I do want to mention one moderator over there named Chris was THE only guy there that seamed to care or give a damn about treating members fairly and with respect.

I haven't been back there since that happened.

i hope and pray this site never loses sight of keeping the forum experience a positive one free from trolls and those who want to limit others ability to express alternative opinions.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
congratulations this is one of the best run websites around and it will continue to get bigger and bigger because of how well it is run and the great moderators we have here who understand what a moderators job is and how the forums should be run.

I came here from LAS because I had enough of that immature childish website. it only survives off of the popularity of the magazine and is only interested in creating forms of income even at the expense of its members.

the forums there became a place the average person felt unwelcomed at and very hesitant to post anything for fear of being attacked or targeted by trolls. the moderators not only think its ok to harass and insult other members. one moderator posted in the thread and encouraged the harassment to continue and defended allowing it happen by saying it was his decision to decide whats allowed and if people don't like it they should just leave.

it was widely denounced by other posts in that thread and several members reported this outrageous attitude for a moderator to have and voice it openly in the public forum, only to have tony say nothing and do nothing about it.

this moderator continues to encourage harassment of members who voice an opinion not liked by him or his "friends". I do want to mention one moderator over there named Chris was THE only guy there that seamed to care or give a damn about treating members fairly and with respect.

I haven't been back there since that happened.

i hope and pray this site never loses sight of keeping the forum experience a positive one free from trolls and those who want to limit others ability to express alternative opinions.

Boom.

Plus their navigation format sucks
Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,851

Thanks for the compliments to the moderators guys...... But I'm sure someone will be along soon to slam us lol.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

I love this site. Only one I have ever stayed on and wanted to be a member.
A little banter from time to time but everyone knows it's all in fun.
Thanks for the site and thanks for the reports
Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Best site on the net!!!! It keeps me from losing my damn mind in this damn office with these damn women! My coworkers thank y'all.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,773
Default Great Site

I think the key is the moderators--keep up the great work. I still wonder how "W' keeps getting "time outs" and keeps coming back for more. I used to predominately follow 2Coolfishing but this site ha gotten better and better with great ownership and management. I will continue to support and follow as we go for 10,000 more.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,851

Will take some time to share a brief walk down history lane.....and anyone feel free to add to it.

This site was the master mind of "W", Salty, Jeff Shaddix and a few other guys. They had been kicked off another Louisiana site and decided to start their own site.

It was a slow start but a great place to cut up and share reports while keeping an understanding that we still try to hold true today, and that is to not allow any bashing on fishing or hunting reports and to try to promote the outdoors in a positive way, especially with our kids.

As time moved on the site made a steady increase in members which in turn brought on a few more moderators and the "Gill Net" and "Sports Bar"......which were basically a free for all and there were many thin skinnned members that fell victim to some of the more popular sports guru's at the time, which were "W", Salty and ASR....These three guys still continue to share a love affair in the premium sections with the addition of several more members currently.

Then a year or so into this endeavor, "W" purchased the site from Jeff and things turned into the "wild, wild, west"!!! It was dang near a free for all in every forum for a while but "W" managed to get things under control and helped a lot of people on this site by sharing a wealth of fishing knowledge and reports which helped a lot of people learn more about saltwater fishing.

I do not remember the date but I know ASR does, we had an attack from the Texans, this was wilder than the Cowboys and Indians as hundreds of Texans attacked the site at one time and it was completely out of control, it was comparable to a hostile takeover but Jeff stepped in to help "W" get things under control and a things rocked along for the next few months keeping the Texans at bay...... And the takeover from the Texas was caused from "W" blasting and bashing on the Texas websites. I know this is hard to believe but some of the greatest pics ever posted in the Gill Net came from this era.

When Casey (ckinchen), aka Chicken took over this site was right at 2000 members but Casey brought a new vision and desire to the site to promote it to the #1 Louisiana outdoor website. It was a rocky road at first as a few changes to moderators were made and Casey wanted the language cleaned up and was ruling with an "iron fist" and barking a lot of orders in the moderators room..... I will admit that myself and Sulphite had some serious considerations of jumping ship but as time rocked on we realized that Casey really has a heart of gold and his true vision was to turn this place into a true family website that any young kid that loved the outdoors as we all did when we were young, could come and learn more about the outdoors, meet new friends in the outdoor way of life, which is exactly what this place has turned into.

We were able to add a two more moderators, Paul Myers and Jchief to help us control the place as the membership started to explode. Our biggest obstacle was trying to get everyone's language under control, which caused us to issue ALOT of infractions for a while and upset a lot of members but I know a word or two slips by occasionally but for the most part we consider this a family website.

In the almost 5 years, through the help of Casey, we have added occasional raffles where tickets can be purchased using "Salty Cajun" cash and the last 3 years of annual "Salty Cajun Tournaments", that not only provided great prizes and raffle items but has made a tremendous impact on several charities as I would conservatively say that $20,000 has been raised for several charities.

So today, we have reached a major milestone of 10,000 members and Casey and the moderators, Bluechip, Sulphite, PaulMyers and Jchief are proud to see and feel like we have all helped to make this place a great website, helped to support people in need, helped to unite outdoors and provided a way for outdoorsman to make new friends with people of the same interest.

So a big "Thank you" to the fore fathers that started this place and a ton of gratitude to Casey for having the vision to push this site forward and make an impact in the hunting and fishing community.

In closing, I would like to also give thanks to our "Premium" members. As we appreciate all of our members, it takes money to run this place as nothing is for free and the members that step up to the plate and purchase a "Premium" membership help keep this place going, so y'all should be recognized.

So here is to Casey, the mods and the members of Salty Cajun......
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Will take some time to share a brief walk down history lane.....and anyone feel free to add to it.

This site was the master mind of "W", Salty, Jeff Shaddix and a few other guys. They had been kicked off another Louisiana site and decided to start their own site.

It was a slow start but a great place to cut up and share reports while keeping an understanding that we still try to hold true today, and that is to not allow any bashing on fishing or hunting reports and to try to promote the outdoors in a positive way, especially with our kids.

As time moved on the site made a steady increase in members which in turn brought on a few more moderators and the "Gill Net" and "Sports Bar"......which were basically a free for all and there were many thin skinnned members that fell victim to some of the more popular sports guru's at the time, which were "W", Salty and ASR....These three guys still continue to share a love affair in the premium sections with the addition of several more members currently.

Then a year or so into this endeavor, "W" purchased the site from Jeff and things turned into the "wild, wild, west"!!! It was dang near a free for all in every forum for a while but "W" managed to get things under control and helped a lot of people on this site by sharing a wealth of fishing knowledge and reports which helped a lot of people learn more about saltwater fishing.

I do not remember the date but I know ASR does, we had an attack from the Texans, this was wilder than the Cowboys and Indians as hundreds of Texans attacked the site at one time and it was completely out of control, it was comparable to a hostile takeover but Jeff stepped in to help "W" get things under control and a things rocked along for the next few months keeping the Texans at bay...... And the takeover from the Texas was caused from "W" blasting and bashing on the Texas websites. I know this is hard to believe but some of the greatest pics ever posted in the Gill Net came from this era.

When Casey (ckinchen), aka Chicken took over this site was right at 2000 members but Casey brought a new vision and desire to the site to promote it to the #1 Louisiana outdoor website. It was a rocky road at first as a few changes to moderators were made and Casey wanted the language cleaned up and was ruling with an "iron fist" and barking a lot of orders in the moderators room..... I will admit that myself and Sulphite had some serious considerations of jumping ship but as time rocked on we realized that Casey really has a heart of gold and his true vision was to turn this place into a true family website that any young kid that loved the outdoors as we all did when we were young, could come and learn more about the outdoors, meet new friends in the outdoor way of life, which is exactly what this place has turned into.

We were able to add a two more moderators, Paul Myers and Jchief to help us control the place as the membership started to explode. Our biggest obstacle was trying to get everyone's language under control, which caused us to issue ALOT of infractions for a while and upset a lot of members but I know a word or two slips by occasionally but for the most part we consider this a family website.

In the almost 5 years, through the help of Casey, we have added occasional raffles where tickets can be purchased using "Salty Cajun" cash and the last 3 years of annual "Salty Cajun Tournaments", that not only provided great prizes and raffle items but has made a tremendous impact on several charities as I would conservatively say that $20,000 has been raised for several charities.

So today, we have reached a major milestone of 10,000 members and Casey and the moderators, Bluechip, Sulphite, PaulMyers and Jchief are proud to see and feel like we have all helped to make this place a great website, helped to support people in need, helped to unite outdoors and provided a way for outdoorsman to make new friends with people of the same interest.

So a big "Thank you" to the fore fathers that started this place and a ton of gratitude to Casey for having the vision to push this site forward and make an impact in the hunting and fishing community.

In closing, I would like to also give thanks to our "Premium" members. As we appreciate all of our members, it takes money to run this place as nothing is for free and the members that step up to the plate and purchase a "Premium" membership help keep this place going, so y'all should be recognized.

So here is to Casey, the mods and the members of Salty Cajun......
Thanks for the insight Blue. This really is an awesome site. Its a great collaboration of ownership, moderators, and members. We sling a little mud at each other from time to time but I do not believe any of us wouldnt stop and help another member change a flat on the side of the road. Its a great group of people and im glad I stumbled upon SC.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,215

Blue awesome write up man, thank you.

I want to think the original site founders you guys had a great vision in creating this website.

None of this would be possible without our members. I have made friends on this site that will be with me for the rest of my life. Thank you guys.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303

Great site, great people and very happy to be a part of it. Thanks for a great site.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

Just looked when I joined and that was July of 09. I don't even go to the other LA site anymore because the format sucks. This site has been great and I've met new friends because of it. I look forward to the day when we reach 20k in members. I know it won't take this long to achieve. Keep up the good work mods and Casey.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Man I remember back when we were excited because we got 500 lol. I never thought this would actually get to where it has. I too have met some great people off this site over the years. And the early gillnet years were by far some of the funniest things I have ever seen posted on the interwebz. Thanks to the mods for all the bs you gotta sort through to keep this site running smooth.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

10,000 members and im still in the negatives with salty cash! haha
Old 02-27-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
Post some fishing reports, it will come back to positive faster.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
You want me to float you a loan buddy?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

lol he has to be able to catch fish to post a report!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
lol he has to be able to catch fish to post a report!
nate im gonna sink your kayak
Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
nate im gonna sink your kayak

You only need 5 more post and you back in black