SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
65k starting? Sheesh! Well I never worked offshore, but had the chance back in the '70's when I got out of school. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the roustabout position a sort of "right out of high school" position? No experience necessary?

Correct, do you know how hard it is to find an 18 year old than can pass a drug screen, show up to the dock/office on time for crew change, and actually work when they get on location?

An 18 year old with half a brain and a clean head with a little drive can get on a pushboat and make be making $100,000 a year in under 2 years. Pushboat captains make over $500 day closer to $600.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Correct, do you know how hard it is to find an 18 year old than can pass a drug screen, show up to the dock/office on time for crew change, and actually work when they get on location?

An 18 year old with half a brain and a clean head with a little drive can get on a pushboat and make be making $100,000 a year in under 2 years. Pushboat captains make over $500 day closer to $600.
Yep, and pushboat business is crazy right now. Every one f my customers is building boats and barges non stop - the opportunities are endless on pushboats, river or canal.

The big ones like Florida Marine Trans and Kirby Inland Marine have their own school they run the entry level hands through. A little drive and dedication and a fella can bank real quick, Chouest and Harvey offshore tug captains make $1000+ a day!!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Swordfish

I know the owners or Lafourche Merchant Marine School, they are non-stop busy. everybodies is looking to upgrade thier license.

I didn't know the big boat captains were making that much. When I wasn working in the yard I got to know the captain of the liftbaot we were working on pretty good. He said he was makin $685 a day. I was like damn that's pretty good money. He claims he's underpaid. He said you have to be a safety manager, a mechanic, a hotel manager, a transportation coordinator, a restaurant manager, crane operator, house keeping manager all rolled into one......... plus you need to know how to drive a 150'x90' barge with 3-285' legs sticking up in the air around.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I know the owners or Lafourche Merchant Marine School, they are non-stop busy. everybodies is looking to upgrade thier license.

I didn't know the big boat captains were making that much. When I wasn working in the yard I got to know the captain of the liftbaot we were working on pretty good. He said he was makin $685 a day. I was like damn that's pretty good money. He claims he's underpaid. He said you have to be a safety manager, a mechanic, a hotel manager, a transportation coordinator, a restaurant manager, crane operator, house keeping manager all rolled into one......... plus you need to know how to drive a 150'x90' barge with 3-285' legs sticking up in the air around.
We are all underpaid! A wise Asian man (VP of R&D at my last job) told me when I was leaving to "always remember, we all are underpaid because people pay you for what you've done and proven capable of in the past, not necessarily what you do today". The job you get next is usually higher paying, and is a reflection of what you did before.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 879

Boat life sucks, trust me I did it before moving on to drilling rigs. A good motivated hand can move up quick and be making over $100, 000 a year in just a few years. Sub sea techs are making over $200, 000 a year. It all depends what direction a new hand decides to go with their career and also which company you work for but the money is there to be made. What other jobs can you make 6 figures and get 6 months of vacation a year!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

Everyone says you 'only work 1/2 as many days' as a regular job. But just remember that this ain't your 9-5 cushy job.

Lot of guys not cut out for it.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

Im goin on 13 years on drilling rigs...If he is motivated to move up and bust azzz big opportunities are there. I spent many days wondering what the hell I was thinking for ever getting in the oilfield but now im in the directional side and will soon be in a consultant position. Im proof if you learn fast and stick with it the oilfield can provide a very good career in not that many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Mine
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

subsea is definitely a good field to get into but its not for everyone. best thing to do is get out there and see what direction he likes the most. Lost of good money to be made and plenty of work coming down the pipe. I know of at least 6 new drillships coming to the gulf by the end of next year. with his mechanical background he may want to start as a motorman in the technical side and move toward mechanic.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Well I like production, the only time I work in the cold, rain, heat, or just plain old work is when something tears up. Other than that I sit in my office and play on SaltyCajun. it pays the bills and I have 6 months out of the year off.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 View Post
Well I like production, the only time I work in the cold, rain, heat, or just plain old work is when something tears up. Other than that I sit in my office and play on SaltyCajun. it pays the bills and I have 6 months out of the year off.

I only work 5 1/2 months a year!!!! 6 weeks vacation!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

Yall know of any opportunities for an I/E with plant exp., I wont leave my job for just anything, but would definately explore the possibility of upgrading
Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975
Default Just take a look..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msucowpoke51 View Post
Yall know of any opportunities for an I/E with plant exp., I wont leave my job for just anything, but would definately explore the possibility of upgrading
Some of the majors drilling contractors are in need of personel, especially in the tech side.. Many new units are being built. Over the next 4 years there are suppose to be close to 50 new rigs being built worldwide.. And the new ones are state of the art.. 2 men running the entire drillfloor from chairs. (Cyber chairs) some of these running uppward $750mil. The company I work for are building 4 new duel-activity drillships, and upgrading old iron @ the moment.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 879

Yeah lots of companies are building right now. I'm on the first of four new drillships that are being built for our company. In the yard that is building our rigs they are also building rigs for 3 other major companies also. Our rig should be heading to the gulf in about another month. And I'm ready not to have 15 hour flights to go to work!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Excuse my ignorance fellas, but what is a pushboat?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Mostly what you see in the river and canal pushing barges.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
What you see "pushing" 2-3 barges. Normally they have 4 man crew. Captain, mate, tankerman, deckhand.

The bigger ones on the river have the above plus an engineer (motorman, oiler) a few deckhands and sometimes a cook. We built a few pushboats with 8 quarters and beds for 10.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

One down fall to offshore jobs is you miss a lot of things in your family and kids life... most only work 26 weeks a year but once you put in your years, you build up vacation to trim those 26 weeks down.

On call jobs are for a young guy because when you get in your 40s not many want to keep running like that.

Best advice I can give to any young guy starting offshore is to pay yourself 1st before you pay anything (retirement) it will take you a little while to build up to 100k but once you are in the 6digits your money grows 2 to 3 X's as fast!

If you pay your self you will retire with a lot of life in front of you. That was the best advice I was given by my step grandpaw who retired with Conco/philips (twice)
Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

That is excellent advice "W".
Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 576

Great advice W.

Inland market "push boats" is booming. Almost everyone is building boats, Blessey, Enterprise, Settoon, Golding, and that's just to name a few. As mentioned above, many want you to advance quick to the wheel house.

Before I came to Sea-Trac I was offered It Tech at 2 major offshore companies. I just could not do that to my 4 boys being away spur of the moment for long periods.

Some people love the offshore and some inland. Everyone has their own pros and cons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk