SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526
Default Just Wondering, can someone own ducks?

Let me start by saying my 2 sons were probably not being alter boys,

We had an altercation with my older of the 2 and he informed me: there is a lady in our subdivision thats telling my boy that the ducks are hers

i told my 2 sons to respect the property and not to get into a confrontation!

My question is can this lady own the ducks in a subdivision pond?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

I would say yes if she bought them and put them there.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Bet the duck doesn't think she owns them.

I would think that if they are not on her property, she doesn't own them. If they are hers, she should keep them on her property. If they are on a public pond, can't see how she could claim them. That would be like someone trying to claim the ducks at the Lake Charles Civic Center or the Canada geese that fly all over Gonzales and Prairieville.

Just my opinion, not an expert on these subjects by any means.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Kyocera Dealer

This is a pond in our subdivision, not a private pond...
Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Paul,
i wouldn't buy some ducks, and let them go wild in a public place. Would you?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Maybe some more details on the altercation would help. Ya'll trying to hunt the ducks in the subdivision pond? What exactly is she mad about?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

My question exactly because she could certainly own them if she bought em. My chickens roam onto the neighbors property occasionally. I don't lose ownership just because they cross the street
Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
Maybe some more details on the altercation would help. Ya'll trying to hunt the ducks in the subdivision pond? What exactly is she mad about?
No man i just found out they were trying to hit them with Airsoft guns...

i guess thats frowned upon?

Last edited by CajunSaint; 04-26-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: misspelled a word
Old 04-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
My question exactly because she could certainly own them if she bought em. My chickens roam onto the neighbors property occasionally. I don't lose ownership just because they cross the street

Warren,
How can someone own Ducks that are in a public pond?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

If she bought em she owns em. If she can show proof. I mean you can't go take the lawn mower at the city park and mow your yard because it's a public place. I'd just tell your kids to stop shooting the ducks with airsoft before they get themselves or you in a real bind. We've all had fun like this when we were young but unfortunately those days are gone. Today you find yourself up at the courthouse trying to save face over stupid innocent things. Ask me how I know
Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 460

I have a rooster that from time to time flies in the neighbors yard, but she knows that its my rooster. If my dog gets out the yard he isn't community property either, they know he is mine.
Kyocera Dealer

I understand what you're saying but we all pay HOA Dues do I get a discount because I don't have ducks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
But where does the line get drawn as far as occasional and ownership? If you chickens only wander occasionally, that is certainly different than the ducks living on the subdivision pond, which is likely not owned by this woman.

If a person owns a dog or a cat and it is never on their property, does not rely on them for food, do they own it any longer? Or is it now feral?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
No man i just found out they were trying to hit them with Airsoft guns...

i guess thats frowned upon?
Yeah probably so. Out in the country and back in the day, nobody probably woulda cared because boys will be boys.... but nowadays especially in a subdivision theres a lot of city peta types that get all bent out of shape. If it was my boys I'd tell them to knock it off just to keep the peace but that's just my opinion. Good luck
Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Keep your Effie duck on a leash just like we have to keep our dogs on a leash, if you own them then show it by containing them.

If your chicken frequents my property, it better not be there on a day when I'm craving some Gumbo - it ain't yours if it's on my property unless you get a collar and tag on it
Old 04-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Kyocera Dealer

This lady "I use the term lightly "threatened to call the police...
Come on man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Does each homeowner actually own the part of the pond that butts up to their backyard out into the pond a certain number of feet? That's how some of the subdivisions are around Lake Charles, if that's the case and they were on your property then she probably couldn't tell you nothing. Also, your town and your HOA probably has laws concerning domestic poultry which these would be if the lady is claiming that she owns them.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Kyocera Dealer

I pay 400 dollars a year i think for that i, should be able to have my children swim and play in the park when they want.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

My 0.02
If the lady bought the ducks to let roam freely on public neighborhood property id say they are now free range duck ,does that give your kids the right to torment them within airsoft gun? Prolly not. I killed plenty stuff and shot at plenty stuff with my BB gun as a kid but I also got my arse whooped for shooting at stuff I wadnt supposed to . I have 2 ponds in my neighborhood n I think I'd have to speak up if some kids were shooting at the Ducks with airsoft guns
Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

my uncle used to have a group of ducks like pets, they were free to come and go as they please but they knew they had a good life so they never left. he even built a chicken coup for them with a heater for winter and all was fine up until people started speeding down the road and running them over.

now this was on the lakeshore so its a dirt road by camps but anyway kids driving fast ran over a few of his ducks so he decided to put up a fence to keep the ducks off the road. this wasn't a pen but a fence along the property line like everyone puts up to keep dogs out of their yards.

that's when all hell broke loose and WLF came looking to write up violations of keeping wild game in a pen and all sorts of stupidity. he had to have licenses and tags for them and each one needed a band on its foot identifying it as a pet and not wild, then he had to clip the tail feathers and keep them clipped so they cant fly and have weekly inspections of living conditions, etc. etc. etc. he said screw it and took the fence down and the ducks were on their own. he still had a few months of arguing about it with WLF who wanted the money from all the red tape involved but since they were and are wild he told them literally to go jump in the lake and prove he owned them since he didn't and was only trying to keep them from getting killed. after about a year they stopped showing up randomly looking to catch him with the fence up to write tickets. they (WLF) never gave a damn about protecting the ducks, they just wanted the revenue source.

bottom line is you can keep anything wild as a pet as long as it is free but as soon as you try to protect it with a barrier it becomes captive wild game and you are going to be treated like Osama bin ladin.

as to this lady, im sure she just claims them as hers and sees the kids as pests bothering her babies and she is "claiming" ownership of something you cant own.

Last edited by keakar; 04-26-2015 at 10:28 PM.