SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,657
Default Trolling Motor Batteries

I am thinking of investing in some Optima Batteries for my trolling motor on my bay boat and I wanted to see what thoughts others might have on them...are they worth it? Is there something less expensive that may be comparable? I have been fighting with keeping batteries for longer than six months, the cheaper brands just don't seem to last at all!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default me 2

i am only posting as a pilgrim to see the answers you getcause i too am curious and in need of another battery
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster19 View Post
I am thinking of investing in some Optima Batteries for my trolling motor on my bay boat and I wanted to see what thoughts others might have on them...are they worth it? Is there something less expensive that may be comparable? I have been fighting with keeping batteries for longer than six months, the cheaper brands just don't seem to last at all!
six months is way too short... there might be something wrong with your electrical system. A walmart battery used to last me 2years in my kenner. One of mine just died out in my triton and the sticker on it is from 08. It was an energizer brand. I hear optimas are the way to go. I might have to invest in one
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 901

I know this post will get ignored cause I'm from Texas, but my first set of Optimas lasted a little over 7 years, they like to be charged slow with 5 amps or less for a longer life & charge them when you get off the water.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

Call adamsfence! His brother owns a battery place i gots me sum agm batteries n dey kick ***!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
six months is way too short... there might be something wrong with your electrical system. A walmart battery used to last me 2years in my kenner. One of mine just died out in my triton and the sticker on it is from 08. It was an energizer brand. I hear optimas are the way to go. I might have to invest in one
Well I got some NAPA batteries about a year ago and those have been the worst! 2 of the 3 have now gone bad within that time one was the starter battery and just recently a trolling battery. Not a great thing to figure out on the water when it is slick calm in April! But I think my last set of batteries lasted 2 or 3 years...
Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,767

I've used the gel orbitals from academy since 2004, had 2 of them go six years + sum! One was run down by my buddy and not charged up for a month, and would not take a charge after! He replaced it.The other was stolen out of my mud boat! I have another in an ice chest radio going on 5 yrs now 4 in my bay boat going on 4yrs now 1 cranking and 3 trolling, and my father has 3 in his boat 1 cranking and 2 trolling going on 4 yrs old. I also have an xtra laying around for a jumper or trolling batt for my mud boat. Between my father and I we have 10 total and they keep on ticking! They hold a charge for a long time and last much longer than any batt I've ever used! We do keep them on trickle charge at all times and that is a big key to a batts life, but I still feel they have more longevity over time and in the field! The first few I purchased in. 04 were $99, but now they are 180! A lot of money, but less hassle ever other year changing batts out! And if it means any thing to you I had 2 gel no maint. Batts in my 05 dodge diesel that I just changed this winter! They were originals that finally gave up the ghost on a cold winter morning in north Louisiana truck was bought new June of 05 and batts replaced in dec. of 2011! They were not exide orbitals, but they were gel cell no maint. I believe the gels are the better batts! Just my .02
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Dawg View Post
I know this post will get ignored cause I'm from Texas, but my first set of Optimas lasted a little over 7 years, they like to be charged slow with 5 amps or less for a longer life & charge them when you get off the water.
Did y'all hear something.... like a fly buzzing...j/k man thanks for the input.

Anybody know if you can just change em out one at a time like regular batteries or do you have to change all at once?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,527

Optimas are the s****z!!!! I ran a 36v 109lb MG on a 24' boat. Regular deep cycle trolling batteries needed some some serious charging on a hard day of fishing. Changed to the Optimas & could get 2 full days of fishing without charging & sometimes 3 without a hard wind or current.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Did y'all hear something.... like a fly buzzing...j/k man thanks for the input.

Anybody know if you can just change em out one at a time like regular batteries or do you have to change all at once?
I would have the good one load tested & see how close to new the cranking amp are, like if the battery is rated at 800 amps & it has 680 ams or higher then I would reuse it. I bought some rebuilt AGM's for $65 each & will outlast an Optima on run time, they are 2 years old now & still going strong.

The Fly
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Well thanks for the input guys! I think I will swap to the optimas...just gonna have to save a little money here and there cause they are sure proud of them!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 909

I have yet to try the optimas, because of the price tag...sounds like the guys that have them like them though.

Best I've had were the Trolling Thunders, but cannot find them anymore.

I use Cabela's AMG 1205s now. They will hold a strong charge for 2 years, and I replace about every 4. - Always use a low continual charge when you're not on the water.

And Cabela's has them on sale right now if you want to check them out:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104446080
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Well I bought the Gel Orbitals from Academy. I was going to get the Optima but they only had the starting batts in stock...hopefully these will hold up for years to come! Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,767
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster19 View Post
Well I bought the Gel Orbitals from Academy. I was going to get the Optima but they only had the starting batts in stock...hopefully these will hold up for years to come! Thanks for all the suggestions.
Good choice! Ive had great success with these batteries. As soon as you can after each trip bring them back to full charge, and try to keep a trickle on them at all times especially during the colder months and you should have no problems. Good luck