SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Default what's best

For yall that live in the areas affected by this flood, or around it for that matter. I know there's a lot of scams out there in times like this. Got a couple leads on a food bank and an org. That has boots on the ground. I fell like the"major help groups" get money from everywhere in the US. Is why I want to give local to a group or two 3. If anyone knows said group/organization. Let me know with contact information if you have it.
Want our money to get to the people that need it. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Have a good friend that is going down tomorrow with his church for the third time. We went today and bought some stuff for them to bring down and give out. Good people giving their time to help.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

United Way of Acadiana seems to be a pretty reputable organization. Never heard any stories of corruption or malfeasance.

337-233-8302
www.unitedwayofacadiana.org/
Old 08-20-2016, 05:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Second Harvest Food Bank is a Louisiana based charity http://no-hunger.org
Old 08-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

DO NOT give it to united way. Im sure someone will reply that is from around there with a local place to donate. I had a buddy go that way friday and i loaded him down with tons of baby/kid clothes and diapers. He brought them to a Catholic church somewhere over there that is helping. He sent pictures when he got there of people lined up to get the supplies we sent. Makes me feel good that i was able to help people that really need it.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

I just got done with a Knights of Columbus meeting today, there are several local based councils pitching in with the Church. I would vote local too.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 482

Usually churches are going out and putting boots on the grounds, we are actually headed there tonight to help at our church but we are from Denham but in Lake Charles for work. Another group that has helped from what I have been hearing are the free masons, (Not a member and don't know anything about them), some of the local hotel chain owners were also helping. Also one of the only charities I donate to is the salvation army, they put a lot back to the community.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
In case you need a geography lesson, I would say Vermilion Parish would qualify as "around there". I don't want to get in an argument about it but your comment really pissed me the f off. I suggested the United Way because they are by far the largest, most organized, visible presence in the voluntary cleanup efforts. People who need help or supplies dial 211 and they send volunteers out to your house to help clean up. They also provide the lions share of the support to the shelters and the homeless in them. Those people probably don't look like you or vote like you but that doesn't change the fact that they are in the most dire need of charity. Which I think is kind of the whole idea of donating. Like I said, I don't want to argue, this isn't the time, the place, or the thread. I am just too worked up not to say something. If you want to talk about it some more I'll be more than happy to put on some dry cloths and meet you any where you like.

https://www.facebook.com/UWofAcadiana/

Churches are doing a lot down here right now but how do you pick which one to give it too. I'm Catholic and the last organization I would donate to is the Archdiocese of Lafayette. These guys have been pretty visible on FB http://www.oursaviorschurch.com/flood. I think they are legit. Give it to who you want.

Its been a rough week, I was fortunate but a lot of my neighbors weren't. I am pretty grumpy under normal circumstances, all the water hasn't helped. Acadiana thanks those of you who contributed.
Well you can just be pissed. United Way is a business and they make money off of peoples donations. People that have donated their whole life to UW couldnt get help from them. A buddy i worked withs 4 yr old little girl was fighting cancer and UW told him to get fd when he asked for help. Another buddies house burned down and lost everything he owned. Guess how much help he got from UW? Yep. None. So u just can go on and be pissed. UW makes millions off of ppls kind hearted donations. Theyre a huge business. When i said local I meant local. Not a local "branch" of a major corporation.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Charities aren't a 401K. Most people don't give to them in order to get something on the back end. Regardless, this flood isn't cancer or a house fire. The scope of this thing is huge and I am sure anyone you give the money to will put it to good use if they are out in the open with what they are doing. The United Way is helping a lot of people right now plain and simple, thats all I really want to get across. And if you think churches aren't a business you must have had your cool-aid spiked with some DMT this morning. I feel so chicken $hit for even responding to you.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:13 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Have not heard of anything the united way is doing in the BR area. the red cross came in and tried to take over. i like a few other comments contribute to the salvation army. I used to make my united way contribution at work until they cut off the boy scouts for not accepting gay leaders
Old 08-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Red Snapper

talked to the new life fellowship church in abbavill (thats who the city/fire dept and mayor. e-mailed me) and they fwd. my number to him. he call me said they had truchs on the was to stage around gadyon so there ready when the water came down there but the need was still great there to. anyone have any dealingings with these people?? good or bad?

he also gave me a number for a church farther east south of gonnzols it the new impact church, talked to that woman they still have 30 familys living with them, and still sendind things south. anyone know anything about them??

spent most of the day online trying to find where our money would be best used to help people. and this is all i got so far.

but still open to other options if anyone knows of a group/org.

thanks andy

had to do this on my phone so theres going to be miss spelled words and typeos sorry
Old 08-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Charities aren't a 401K. Most people don't give to them in order to get something on the back end. Regardless, this flood isn't cancer or a house fire. The scope of this thing is huge and I am sure anyone you give the money to will put it to good use if they are out in the open with what they are doing. The United Way is helping a lot of people right now plain and simple, thats all I really want to get across. And if you think churches aren't a business you must have had your cool-aid spiked with some DMT this morning. I feel so chicken $hit for even responding to you.
Images sure the United Way is helping. Just like the Red Cross is helping. About 15 cents of every dollar they get actually goes to helping people. The rest is payroll. Times like this it's better to give locally and know your money is going where it is needed. When a church asks for donations of items for people (clothes, hygiene products, etc) and an organization asks for a check. Guess who I'm trusting?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Andy, go worth your heart.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Images sure the United Way is helping. Just like the Red Cross is helping. About 15 cents of every dollar they get actually goes to helping people. The rest is payroll. Times like this it's better to give locally and know your money is going where it is needed. When a church asks for donations of items for people (clothes, hygiene products, etc) and an organization asks for a check. Guess who I'm trusting?
Right on Duckman!!! We had over 2,000 come through our donation center (food, clothing cleaning items, etc.) that we set up in our local church last week. We are now hosting the Southern Baptist disaster response team and they are preparing and distributing 10,000 meals per day (and that's not a typo), 10,000. They are distributing them in 4 southwest parishes and its all free of charge to folks affected by the flood. Like Duckman said, keep it local where 100% of your donations go to the flood victims and nothing goes to payroll.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Can't beat the community bond.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Right on Duckman!!! We had over 2,000 come through our donation center (food, clothing cleaning items, etc.) that we set up in our local church last week. We are now hosting the Southern Baptist disaster response team and they are preparing and distributing 10,000 meals per day (and that's not a typo), 10,000. They are distributing them in 4 southwest parishes and its all free of charge to folks affected by the flood. Like Duckman said, keep it local where 100% of your donations go to the flood victims and nothing goes to payroll.
Agreed
Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3060.JPG (87.2 KB, 173 views)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Have not heard of anything the united way is doing in the BR area. the red cross came in and tried to take over. i like a few other comments contribute to the salvation army. I used to make my united way contribution at work until they cut off the boy scouts for not accepting gay leaders

Someone posted this on Facebook about the Red Cross in Baton Rouge.

Copied from facebook below...

"So as we are headed back home from the River Center in Baton Rouge volunteering our nursing services Dawn and I have come to the conclusion that neither of us WILL EVER volunteer or donate to the RED CROSS. The Red Cross basically takes over the shelters and starts refusing clothes, donations and various volunteer services UNLESS they are previously contracted. So what does that mean....well, 60 boxes of doughnuts were discarded this morning becuase the delivery vendor was not in contract, hot meals were refused becuase the entity providing wasn't contracted, and medical supplies including medications were trashed for same reason. Clothes that were "donated" needed to be left on the street unless they were "furnished" by Red Cross. As of tomorrow, the shelter we were at will be completely over taken by the Red Cross other than the medical area because they couldnt have the actual room since LSU has a contract with state to provide medical care. Its sad when the military police were helping to "protect" the medical areas from the red cross when there are so many other issues at hand. Anyway, next time to want to donate or volunteer your services, do your homework. Feel free to share!"
Old 08-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Someone posted this on Facebook about the Red Cross in Baton Rouge.

Copied from facebook below...

"So as we are headed back home from the River Center in Baton Rouge volunteering our nursing services Dawn and I have come to the conclusion that neither of us WILL EVER volunteer or donate to the RED CROSS. The Red Cross basically takes over the shelters and starts refusing clothes, donations and various volunteer services UNLESS they are previously contracted. So what does that mean....well, 60 boxes of doughnuts were discarded this morning becuase the delivery vendor was not in contract, hot meals were refused becuase the entity providing wasn't contracted, and medical supplies including medications were trashed for same reason. Clothes that were "donated" needed to be left on the street unless they were "furnished" by Red Cross. As of tomorrow, the shelter we were at will be completely over taken by the Red Cross other than the medical area because they couldnt have the actual room since LSU has a contract with state to provide medical care. Its sad when the military police were helping to "protect" the medical areas from the red cross when there are so many other issues at hand. Anyway, next time to want to donate or volunteer your services, do your homework. Feel free to share!"
I read the same thing, and many others similar type story's yesterday. I feel good with the two groups I found, from what i have seen on Facebook book (not there's other people's) they seem to be the real deal and helping thousands each day. Thanks for all the input guys, and thanks for helping make this happen. I am not going to close it till 8pm. Tonight so it's not to late pay pal is
lafloodrelif @Yahoo .com
yes it's spelled wrong just what Yahoo gave me. Lol
Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I don't give to any of these ...

I rather give it to a local church or individual

RedCross is by far the worst .... for every $1 they give back like .08 or .09 cents