SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,194
Default Premium Memberships

Guys remember we pay for our bandwith (the site) with the money you guys are paying to be a premium member. You gain access to the gill net and sports bar. Also with a yearly membership you receive $300 salty cash which I need to catch up on because several of you have not been awarded your salty cash, I will do that next week. We only have a handful of sponsors on this site so the folks that are paying for a premium membership keep us running and also allow us to have a tournament and do other things for the members that we do. Lastly, I use to have more drawings for items, I will be starting that back up next week, this drawing is open only to premium members.

I have received two request this last week to cancel your premium membership. When I get a request like this I take it as hey I don't want to support the site anymore. People feel the way they feel but I want to thank those of you that help us keep the lights on.

And for those of you that are premium, go start a rant in the sports bar or gill net.
Regards,
Old 07-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Casey, I am happy to subscribe! THANK YOU for hosting it!!

For those of you that don't subscribe, Its 6$ a month, for the cost of a few beers you get ALLLL THISS!!!

easy peasy on paypal
Old 07-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I don't think all of the fishing info should be free either. There's premium members posting reports on where and how and nonpaying members using the info. All of the fishing discussions and report sections should require a membership. That's just my thoughts on it though.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I don't think all of the fishing info should be free either. There's premium members posting reports on where and how and nonpaying members using the info. All of the fishing discussions and report sections should require a membership. That's just my thoughts on it though.
fishing discussions no, you need that to bring in new members to the site and have the content to keep them here.

it might be a good idea for maybe an "advice from the pros forum" that would require a membership, that would be very tempted for those needing advice trying to learn to be better fishermen.

I also think a nice teaser post every now and then, about "look at what you are missing in the paid membership threads" along with a reminder that its only $6 a month, might help people see why they need to join.

I think people are just so used to everything on the internet being free, that they often need to be convinced why they should join up with memberships
Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
fishing discussions no, you need that to bring in new members to the site and have the content to keep them here.

it might be a good idea for maybe an "advice from the pros forum" that would require a membership, that would be very tempted for those needing advice trying to learn to be better fishermen.

I also think a nice teaser post every now and then, about "look at what you are missing in the paid membership threads" along with a reminder that its only $6 a month, might help people see why they need to join.

I think people are just so used to everything on the internet being free, that they often need to be convinced why they should join up with memberships
True. Maybe a one month free trial then you have to pay for the fishing stuff. $4 basic membership gets you the fishing info. $8 premium membership gets you everything. I have so much fun with this site and the people on it. It's worth every penny to me.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Red Snapper

I bet people would be glad to pay for an "ask a charter guide a question" forum even if it was $1 or $2 or maybe even $5 per question as long as they get "real" answers if you know what I mean.

its hard to get real info that teaches you things instead of being told "google it" or "just go fish and figure it out the patterns yourself" as is often a reply you see to someone asking "basic" novice questions
Old 07-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I bet people would be glad to pay for an "ask a charter guide a question" forum even if it was $1 or $2 or maybe even $5 per question as long as they get "real" answers if you know what I mean.

its hard to get real info that teaches you things instead of being told "google it" or "just go fish and figure it out the patterns yourself" as is often a reply you see to someone asking "basic" novice questions
This is very true and a good point. At the same time it would also mean sc would be asking guides to give free honest advice while sc gets the profit. Granted I want this site to have the $ to keep going. It would be like having a "pay to ask a mechanic forum". I should spend my down time from work answering questions about your truck and do it for free while someone else gets the $. I don't think it's a fair thing to ask of the guides. If someone wants to give advice I think it's great but I don't think they should feel obligated to do so. Obviously that would depend on if they had an arrangement with Casey.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Sailfish

Also (just something to think about) a mulititude of daily/weekly $1/2 transactions to keep up with will add a lot more stress and time needed to keep the books balanced and accurate. Even though it's all electronic at the end their is someone that has to find out why column A and column B don't match up.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
This is very true and a good point. At the same time it would also mean sc would be asking guides to give free honest advice while sc gets the profit. Granted I want this site to have the $ to keep going. It would be like having a "pay to ask a mechanic forum". I should spend my down time from work answering questions about your truck and do it for free while someone else gets the $. I don't think it's a fair thing to ask of the guides. If someone wants to give advice I think it's great but I don't think they should feel obligated to do so. Obviously that would depend on if they had an arrangement with Casey.
what I had in mind was if say, 4 or 5 guides would be willing to pop in and answer a few questions from time to time.

more like a forum column where guys willing to help support the site didn't mind taking a few questions in their spare time. sort of the way moderators volunteer to watch over the forums to help the site. its not for everyone and yes it takes time out of your day but when the stuff is shared by say, 4 or 5 guys, as long as at least one of these guys finds time to check the forum each day, all questions get answered and often several answers from several guys.

it definitely would depend on guys willing to commit a "little" free time every now and then, but I don't think any more time then they already spend on the forums anyway.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Red Snapper

im shocked that no one else cares enough to offer any suggestions
Old 07-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Didn't know Casey was appointing a committee to rewrite the structure of the site
Old 07-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Didn't know Casey was appointing a committee to rewrite the structure of the site
We weren't assuming he was but given the nature of his post I don't see the harm in throwing out ideas that could bring extra revenue to the site. If he likes an idea that's good if not that's good too. It's his to do as he wishes.
I apologize if I missed your post where you stated your idea on how to help generate more money to help keep the site going and also help the site have funds to sponsor events. I'm sure it was there but must have overlooked it.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Sailfish

If you missed the sarcasm in that last part I'll gladly explain it to you.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Lol, I was responding at Keakars hack at everyone saying they don't care.

On a side note, if you really want to make money you gotta put Vermilion Bay fishing reports and advice in the paid section. Easily the most resourceful people sharing from that area, and an extremely high demand place for info because the place is so tough to fish if you don't know it - there's no fish in a large part of that place for half the year or better

Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

If you really want good advice and you want to learn from a guide, book a trip with him and ask him to teach you the lake while showing you some helpful tips and techniques. These guys fish for a living and I don't blame them one bit for not giving out specific info on a website that thousands of people view.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Sailfish

Quote:

On a side note, if you really want to make money you gotta put Vermilion Bay fishing reports and advice in the paid section. Easily the most resourceful people sharing from that area, and an extremely high demand place for info because the place is so tough to fish if you don't know it - there's no fish in a large part of that place for half the year or better

Valid point. I get get what Keakars was saying though. A lot of peeps care to be here as long as it's free. This site has something for everyone. You want to talk about your day at the lake with the kids and people will talk about it with you and how great family time is. You want to show off your tomatoes and peeps are there for that. Show off your new boat and peeps are there. Gill net stuff or sports bar and there are peeps. Maybe not on the same page but they are there.lol.
Monthly fee. Basic $4. Gets everything but premium access. Premium $8 gets what premiums have. Platinum $12. A no holds barred post or link whatever you want section. As long as Its legal activity. This section will need a disclaimer. A free one month basic membership to get new people in. Just a thought.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
If you really want good advice and you want to learn from a guide, book a trip with him and ask him to teach you the lake while showing you some helpful tips and techniques. These guys fish for a living and I don't blame them one bit for not giving out specific info on a website that thousands of people view.
Yeah that point has been brought up already. They make a livong doing that and should not be onlogated to give out free advice.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Sailfish

This site is a sevice (my opinion) that helps a lot of people in different ways. Met one of my best friends here. Not just a fishing buddy but we adore his family. Ace Archer his wife and their amazing children. If not for this site I would have never met them. I'll pay for that.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

YEP, I got owned yesterday!!! VBAY kicked my tail, I was humbled and humiliated on that trip.
Quote:

Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

I bought a membership about a month ago. I'm always on here so I figured what the heck. It didn't really give me anything extra except access to the Gill Net which no one is hardly posting anything in any way. I think its still important to support the site especially if you use it for entertainment, education, or whatever else.