SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Paint milk jugs black and use em for decoys!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

The thing is, no one kills every duck or goose that they see. If you're going to spend money on good shells, good decoys, 1500 dollar shotguns, and boats, why not buy the best sounding call on the market? People that are complaining about the principle of spending that much on a call probably shoot guns way more expensive than a remington 870 that will kill birds just as good as a 1500 dollar shotgun. And when each call is hand tuned and spun individually, and is built of quality material, yeah it's going to cost more than 20 bucks
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Whena group of birds doesn't come in, it never crosses your mind what maybe would have happened if you had a better sounding call? I'm talking about specks here. I'm not going to lie i blow a haydels duck call, but as far as geese, some calls clearly sound much better than others
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I sprinkle diamonds on everything I eat
Makes my dookie twinkle man!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Swordfish

I shot an 870 all the way up til second split of last year. And I shoot the cheapest shells on the market. 6$ a box!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
the thing is, no one kills every duck or goose that they see. If you're going to spend money on good shells, good decoys, 1500 dollar shotguns, and boats, why not buy the best sounding call on the market? People that are complaining about the principle of spending that much on a call probably shoot guns way more expensive than a remington 870 that will kill birds just as good as a 1500 dollar shotgun. And when each call is hand tuned and spun individually, and is built of quality material, yeah it's going to cost more than 20 bucks

agree 100%, but also when you pay 5-7k for a blind to kill specks you want to be able to put the favor in your odds right?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I shot an 870 all the way up til second split of last year. And I shoot the cheapest shells on the market. 6$ a box!
but now you are a baller with that new gun, but you did get some extra money from that saltycajun tourney last year though
Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Swordfish

Lol it was the trout shootout. Get it right! Lolbut it was time for a new gun. Like I said. Whenever my call fails me I will upgrade maybe one day. Gotta win another tournament first though!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Whena group of birds doesn't come in, it never crosses your mind what maybe would have happened if you had a better sounding call? I'm talking about specks here. I'm not going to lie i blow a haydels duck call, but as far as geese, some calls clearly sound much better than others
I agree. After every group that doesn't come in and give it up I try to figure out why and eliminate all of the "whys". And I know it wasn't because my call didn't sound just like a goose.

Back to the point of the original posters question, both calls sound great. Learning how to blow either one shouldn't be that hard. Learning how to use it will take many years and you will never truly master how to use it. Anyone who says they kill a limit of specks every hunt is telling a boldfaced lie. Thats a fact
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I also spray paint walmart sweatshirts for camo with 1/4 full spraypaint cans i collect

Found a 1994 used Charlotte Hornet Starter Jacket which I camoed...all about the benjamins.

LOL!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
i agree. After every group that doesn't come in and give it up i try to figure out why and eliminate all of the "whys". And i know it wasn't because my call didn't sound just like a goose.

Back to the point of the original posters question, both calls sound great. Learning how to blow either one shouldn't be that hard. Learning how to use it will take many years and you will never truly master how to use it. Anyone who says they kill a limit of specks every hunt is telling a boldfaced lie. Thats a fact

agree 100%. This pretty much sums it up my redbone sounded awesome i just got rubbed the wrong way by the customer service.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Swordfish

I kill my limit of specks every hunt.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by top dawg View Post
i kill my limit of specks every hunt.

LOL! Yeah and i've got some ocean fron property in arizona i'll sale you real cheap.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Swordfish

I'm not sure how much ricelands are but someone has one for sale on the refuge for $175
Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by top dawg View Post
i'm not sure how much ricelands are but someone has one for sale on the refuge for $175

i've paid $200 for one before and as someone posted up earlier about not hurting for money. In the words of david chapelle "i'm rich *****"!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
calls cost more now becuase they sound way better then they did before and made better... ever think of that.. when was the last time your plastice haydels call didnt crack after a year or two?
That's a huge leap to say they sound better so justifiably should be more expensive. Call makers can get top dollar because that's what the market, ie; duck hunters will purchase. Calls don't sound a bit different now than 25 years ago. TV has created the gotta have it mentality in All of Us and that's why they charge a hundred times what it cost to manufacture. Akrylic isn't expensive, the cnc machine can be but I can setup a lathe in my garage with a bar feed and run 24 hrs a day producing calls. The Two RNT calls I own probably only cost at most $10 each to manufacture and sold for $150.00 (disclaimer; they were presents). Marketing is why leisure products are expensive not quality or space age technology.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That's a huge leap to say they sound better so justifiably should be more expensive. Call makers can get top dollar because that's what the market, ie; duck hunters will purchase. Calls don't sound a bit different now than 25 years ago. TV has created the gotta have it mentality in All of Us and that's why they charge a hundred times what it cost to manufacture. Akrylic isn't expensive, the cnc machine can be but I can setup a lathe in my garage with a bar feed and run 24 hrs a day producing calls. The Two RNT calls I own probably only cost at most $10 each to manufacture and sold for $150.00 (disclaimer; they were presents). Marketing is why leisure products are expensive not quality or space age technology.
X10000000000. Thank you. They don't cost more cuz they sound better. They cost more because people pay it lol
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:

If you think a speck call from 25 years ago sounds like a riceland or redbone, your smokin some good dope. But I do agree they don't cost that much to make. Sure you can buy a lathe and spin calls but do you know how to build troughs for speck calls? I highly doubt it. Does your truck you drive cost as much to manufacture as you paid for it? Your not always paying for the manufacturing costs, your paying for the idea.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
There was a lady one time that owned a women's clothing shop. She had some hideous hats that she couldn't sell even after lowering the price next to nothing. One day a marketing guru told her to jack the price up to something outrageous. After that she couldn't keep em off the shelves. They became the thing to have. Me personally I don't care who blows what and how much it costs. The only concern you should have is the birds your calling at.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I sorta agree with the speck call aspect, the newer ones are probably better. There were probably only a handful of speck calls 25 years ago and sure they killed specks but would think now the sound has improved but its because there is more of a market now.

Duck calls have probably gotten a little better sounding straight out the box now than 25 years ago as well, but there was never a such thing as a $100+ duck call 25 years ago that I am aware of. Some of the new nice calls are more for collectors