SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Beware. Help.

Hi Guys!! I'm getting in from a trip to Baton Rouge.

It's a long story. First. Most of you know I went to So. Carolina to purchase the 24 triton LTS I've had picture of on this site.

Well I just recieved the Titles of the Boat and Motor. Titles for each.

I purchased the boat and motor from a Private individual.

The Bill of Sale is between From Him ( Seller) TO Me Purchaser.

The Titles are signed from him to Me.

Now this is were the FUN STARTS:

A Boat Broker did all of the paper work. The Bill of sale is on the boat brokers letter head.

Knowing ( Was under the understanding) if I purchased a USED BOAT from a PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL I Wouldn't Pay taxes here in LA.

But LA WL& F required you to have a tax form filled out stating no TAXES are due.

I went to the LA State Dept. OF Revenue in B. R. this afternoon.

I guess you know where I'm going with this.

They said Because A BOAT BROKER filled out the paperwork.

!. They consider a boat broker a BOAT DEALER. and I own taxes of about $2,000 on this used boat.

2. That I have to Show Proof that the taxes where paid by the buyer when the boat was purchased from the DEALER in 2006.

I almost LOST My Mind in the Dept. Of Revenue.

They are saying I can contest this ruling. But I will have to get ALL this documentation to support I don't owe taxes on the 24 K purchase.

Any help would be appreciated.

They COULD NOT SHOW ME in the State TAX Code that they consider a BOAT BROKER, A BOAT DEALER.

AGAIN the BILL OF SALE: Shows a SELLER: Private Individual and A BUYER: Me.

Not the seller. SOMETHING BOAT BROKERS:

Needless to say I'm a LITTLE UPSET.

So If you all buy a boat from a boat broker(Consignment) From anywhere you going to pay taxes I guess.

Thanks

Gunner
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Wow!

Get on the phone [if you have not already] and call the guy you bought the boat from. Hopefully he has the paper work to help you out on the taxes.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Welcome to the the wonderful world of transferring something titled from out of state to Louisiana.I bought a boat a few months back and wad told I would owe taxes but got out of paying them. I would suggest going to a local title company and sitting down and talking to them about the issue and see what they can maybe do. You may get them to give you all the paper work and info you need and then mail it to seller to be filled out and then mail it to you to be completed and notorized, good luck.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Red Snapper

I called the Broker. He indicated that I should NOT owes taxes. The Bill of Sale plainly showes the provate seller and Me as the Buyer.

I'm getting a SICK FEELING ABOUT ALL THIS!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Red Snapper

Are Should I say I HAVE A SICK FEELING NOW!!!! SO MUCH SO I FEEL LIKE I"M HAVING A HEART ATTACK.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

Used to be so simple to purchase out of state boats. I purchased a boat from
Sarasota fl back in 08 and it was no problem and a broker was involved for the private seller. Last boat I purchased from Houston private seller only. Had to go to 3 different places for signatures (tax purposes , no e had to be paid) then sent off paperwork. I can only imagine how irritated I'd be in your position. Fine print an be such a pain. Also I found out that no matter who I spoke with to make sure the process went smooth before making the out of state purchase, each person whether bank, wl&f, or title company all had a different answers.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?54fddn
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
King Mackeral

Ehhh don't let it get to you. It's a learning process and once u get it all cleared up you'll be enjoying a great boat on those beautiful summer mornings! Think about it!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ouc43m
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Red Snapper

I'm Sending a letter to the Head lawyer for the Dept OF Revenue Requesting a RULING.

As the LAW CHANGED ABOUT BUYING A BOAT FROM A PRIVATE SELLER???
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM
King Mackeral

In 2010 they inplaced a few new laws just making it a headache. Cant remember all the details. Just have to get sigs from school board etc so they can rule out taxes. kiss doesn't apply here

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oeepfu
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

Been through this many times with new boats I have bought out of state, just know the reason for this red tape nightmare is because boat dealers in the state are trying hard to
make it not possible to bring a boat bought out of state back to Louisiana. 3 months ago I bought a new bay boat out of North Carolina took me 3 days and 5 fax to get the reg. done at LDWF.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Red Snapper

New Boats I can understand I owe the taxes. I would have paid them In SC if I had purchased it from a dealer. Thanks but NOT APPLES TO APPLES.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
New Boats I can understand I owe the taxes. I would have paid them In SC if I had purchased it from a dealer. Thanks but NOT APPLES TO APPLES.
No doubt I owed and payed my taxes, my point of what I am saying is that your paperwork would have been ok and passed LDWF 4 or 5 years ago by you simpling telling them it was purchased form and a person not a boat dearler or broker. It is apples to apples, my point is new or used they are making it harder and harder to get a out of state boat reg.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

The boat I have now was used out of TX, Louisiana required affidavit of non res, then I had to have 3 Bill of sales for motor, boat and trailer plus now I have a title and registration for boat and trailer along with title on motor.....after getting all this I had to go to schoolboard and courthouse so they could decide if I owed taxes...... I was told by the people at courthouse that it comes down to Louisiana realized the taxes and other fees they were missing out on by allowing us "boat owners" to do as we have been.......... its always the same story with the friggen crooks that ruin our state.... I mean run this state
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
The boat I have now was used out of TX, Louisiana required affidavit of non res, then I had to have 3 Bill of sales for motor, boat and trailer plus now I have a title and registration for boat and trailer along with title on motor.....after getting all this I had to go to schoolboard and courthouse so they could decide if I owed taxes...... I was told by the people at courthouse that it comes down to Louisiana realized the taxes and other fees they were missing out on by allowing us "boat owners" to do as we have been.......... its always the same story with the friggen crooks that ruin our state.... I mean run this state
Went throught the same thing with Chris Marine when i puschased my used 23LS
Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Seems to me that the broker did the same thing a notery would do here in La.
You may have to jump thru some hoops but you don't owe any taxes.
This sounds like one of those ,let's see how much money we can get from folks that don't know any better ideas.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Flounder

Cash: 734

I had the same problem on a boat that I purchased from S.Carolina last year. The Lafayette office of the dept of revenue said that the primary concern is did money pass through the consignment dealer or go straight to the boat seller. I had to sign an affidavit saying that I paid the seller directly and then they stamped it as no taxes due. From there I had to bring that to the school board tax office and have them also stamp as no taxes do. No problem, now the fun starts. Sent in to WLF and they decided that in their better judgment, I did owe taxes and would not register the boat. After a conversation with our state representative, he was able to talk to the head of the WLF and get him to approve the registration. A bit of a pain, but you do have a way to resolve this. hope it helps
Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,170

I bought a boat in feb from a man in ms, after all of the hum bug I still had to pay 4 k in taxes, ldwf still has not registered the boat as of today, good luck! Let me know what transpires. According to my accountant if you bring it into the state you have to pay local taxes, there is a form you should file at the end of the year with the state, just like a Internet purchase for good.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Red Snapper

I didn't sleep a wink last night concerning all this. I'm calling my state rep and senator as we speak.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Could you just redo the bill of sale and not have it on his letterhead?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Red Snapper

I'm having the bill of sale redone with No Logo.

I spoke to WL& F Friday morning. They Indicated they are just requiring the Form to be filled out. It's up to the LA. Dept OF REV. if they tax U or NOT. Also They indicated since both boat and motor were titled in SC. I'm going to required to do it here.

Anybody BUY out of state in the last several months that DIDN'T pay TAXES???

Going to call the SC dept Of Natural Resources who titles the boat & motor. They don't register boats in SC. They do issue boat number's. They are on title.

Thanks

Gunner