SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070
Default Concealed Carry Permit

I'm getting ready to purchase an .45 XDS for protection and was thinking of taking a concealed carry class to get the permit. How many on here are permit holders and what are the basic laws related?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I had a .45 XDM. It's a sweet gun but I got rid of it. It's more gun than I felt comfortable with. If all you plan on using for is protection it'll probably be alright. But if you want something to mess around with also I'd go down to a .40 or a 9. Just my opinion. If you know what you're doing then go ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

Pretty much all of the info you need is right here.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I had a .45 XDM. It's a sweet gun but I got rid of it. It's more gun than I felt comfortable with. If all you plan on using for is protection it'll probably be alright. But if you want something to mess around with also I'd go down to a .40 or a 9. Just my opinion. If you know what you're doing then go ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, I shot my buddies this weekend. After about 20 rounds I was done with it. That 3.3" barrel is unforgiving. I'm probably gonna put about 50 rounds through mine to get comfortable with it, then carry it for protection only. I'm not much of a plinker.

I just have been in a few situations recently where I didn't neccesarily need a weapon but would probably been a little less concerned if I had one. They have some sketchy *** gas stations in BR, Lafayette, and New Orleans!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

Pretty much all of the info you need is right here.
Thanks man
Old 01-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 926

I have mine. I carry 380 LCP with hollow points. Love it.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

I have the XDm .40 in compact with the 3.8" barrel. have put 300 through it since I bought it around Christmas. very comfortable gun.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I have the .45 XD Tactical. Its a great shooting gun. Prolly run a couple thousand rounds through it so far. A .45 is a fine shooting round with good gun control. My wifes gun is a Karh .45 with a 3.5" brl. She has no problem handling it. We're a .45 family. My 1911 has probably fired 15, 000 rnds of ammo.
I had my carry permit for 12 years but stopped getting it. Now I open carry. Didnt see the sense of paying for a permit to carry a gun when I can carry one for free.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

My daughter prefers a .45 in the 1911, but she hasn't had to consider trade-offs involved with concealment and daily carry.

My wife and I have always preferred Sig P229's for the trade offs involved in carry, concealment, and effectiveness.

My wife carried a Sig P232 in .380 ACP for a few years before she had a better appreciation for issues of terminal effectiveness. We were up doing some training with Evan Marshall in Michigan about a decade ago, when her eyes were opened to the effectiveness issues and she switched to a more powerful cartridge in the P229.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Yea, I shot my buddies this weekend. After about 20 rounds I was done with it. That 3.3" barrel is unforgiving. I'm probably gonna put about 50 rounds through mine to get comfortable with it, then carry it for protection only. I'm not much of a plinker.

I just have been in a few situations recently where I didn't neccesarily need a weapon but would probably been a little less concerned if I had one. They have some sketchy *** gas stations in BR, Lafayette, and New Orleans!
I may sound like a broken record, but "getting comfortable" with a firearm takes a lot more than 50 rounds. Before strapping a gun on your side after a 1 day class and calling yourself safe is more likely to get you hurt in a life or death situation. You should put at least several hundred rounds through it, preferably with a knowledgable instructor, before considering carrying a weapon everyday. And remember that shooting is a perishable skill. If it's not used often enough, you will lose it....... Which is probably why I couldn't hit the ducks worth a frick this season! Lol.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I may sound like a broken record, but "getting comfortable" with a firearm takes a lot more than 50 rounds. Before strapping a gun on your side after a 1 day class and calling yourself safe is more likely to get you hurt in a life or death situation. You should put at least several hundred rounds through it, preferably with a knowledgable instructor, before considering carrying a weapon everyday. And remember that shooting is a perishable skill. If it's not used often enough, you will lose it....... Which is probably why I couldn't hit the ducks worth a frick this season! Lol.
Well said Matt. A great way to learn to really shoot, handle, and be safe with your weapon is USPSA competiton. Thats a great way to go from being able to shoot to knowing how to shoot. I used to shoot matches in Orange Texas. Its a nice club and not a bad drive for those around the LC area. Its a great way to burn lots of ammo and learn how to really shoot your gun. More experienced guys are always willing to give pointers to less experienced shooters.. 2 ALPHA
Old 01-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
I've shot pistols my whole life and own a 9mm and a .45(both too bulky for what I want), and used to shoot rather frequently until ammo demand got higher than gold. And I'm going with the XDS for safety reasons as much as size, cant beat a grip safety, trigger safety, and a chamber signal.

I'm not buying this one to shoot a hair off a fly's *** while running around a shooting range rolling in the dirt, I'm buying it to put on Jerome's forehead when he wants my wallet.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Well said Matt. A great way to learn to really shoot, handle, and be safe with your weapon is USPSA competiton. Thats a great way to go from being able to shoot to knowing how to shoot. I used to shoot matches in Orange Texas. Its a nice club and not a bad drive for those around the LC area. Its a great way to burn lots of ammo and learn how to really shoot your gun. More experienced guys are always willing to give pointers to less experienced shooters.. 2 ALPHA
When I was an NRA Certified instructor for Basic Pistol and Personal Protection, I really liked the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.

See: http://mqp.nra.org/#

My brother, an NRA Training Counselor, really likes it too.

These programs can be used productively under the guidance of an instructor or they can be self-administered making use of written and video training materials.

I remember spending one year a while back working my way up to the expert level in the pistol program. Since I lived on rural property with an informal range in the back yard, I could shoot several times a week. The organization of the program provided structure and goals to my practice that produced real results without the extra fiddling involved with a formal range or expensive instructors.

I've probably taken about five formal training courses since I bought my first pistol in the late 1990s, but most of my real shooting improvement came shooting hundreds of rounds (maybe thousands) over that year working my way through the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. I believe this is a great approach for those without convenient access to competition or other more formal training options.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
When I was an NRA Certified instructor for Basic Pistol and Personal Protection, I really liked the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.

See: http://mqp.nra.org/#

My brother, an NRA Training Counselor, really likes it too.

These programs can be used productively under the guidance of an instructor or they can be self-administered making use of written and video training materials.

I remember spending one year a while back working my way up to the expert level in the pistol program. Since I lived on rural property with an informal range in the back yard, I could shoot several times a week. The organization of the program provided structure and goals to my practice that produced real results without the extra fiddling involved with a formal range or expensive instructors.

I've probably taken about five formal training courses since I bought my first pistol in the late 1990s, but most of my real shooting improvement came shooting hundreds of rounds (maybe thousands) over that year working my way through the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. I believe this is a great approach for those without convenient access to competition or other more formal training options.
Sounds like a great program MG. Proper training and plenty of trigger time are a must. After I started shooting USPSA I had to laugh at myself because before that I had thought a 1000 rounds of ammo was a lot. Didnt take long to realize that way of thinking was wrong. 1000 rounds of .45 ammo = 1 1/2 maybe 2 months.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 581

Colt 45 Da is my favorite . Bullet placement is the secret to staying alive.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

If you go to the class. Hand deliver the papers to the state police in BR. It will speed up the process a lot. And get them do do the digital finger prints. I waited 6 months for mine while my friends delivered theirs and got them back sooner.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 980

if you hand deliver to LSP you'll probably have your permit in 6 weeks or less
Provided you have a squeaky clean back ground check
Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Yea, I got mine in 6 wks by hand delivering to B R. I usually carry a Kahr PM9(9mm) but when just going to the store or gas station I will put my Ruger LCP (.380) in a pocket. Really like them both but the Kahr is more comfortable to shoot.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Nick, you may want to consider the XDS in 9mm. I gave my dad one for Christmas and, he loves it! I carry the 45 version and, have never had too many issues with it but, firearms feel different for everyone.

Dad says his XDS9 is very low recoil.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Nick, you may want to consider the XDS in 9mm. I gave my dad one for Christmas and, he loves it! I carry the 45 version and, have never had too many issues with it but, firearms feel different for everyone.

Dad says his XDS9 is very low recoil.
What barrel length you have Southern? I have the 5" tactical. Thats a sweet shooting .45. Even when you hold it upside down it shoots nice.