SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
I'm hooked on the federal vital shok trophy copper . After seeing what they did to those think skinned animals in Africa I'm sold
Pox, do yourself a huge favor. And this is only because of my experience I've had with federal ammunition comp.
If you've found a great round for any of your weapons including the 270wsm made by federal just go ahead and buy yourself a case or two of them now, especially for the short magnum! You'll also be getting a whole batch with the same LOT # that will 99.99% be accurate till the last round is spent.
I shot federal for over 20 yrs, and my father and uncles for over 30 and 40yrs.
Since I started with the 7mmwsm back in 04 they have discontinued 3 diffrient rounds that I found have shot well out of my firearm!
They've also done it with one of my favorite waterfowl loads!
There is nothing more dissipointing than finding out and ammunition is no longer available that you've put all your faith in for your hunting situation!
The WSM ammo is already more difficult to find than standard 308, 30-06, 270ammo.
I'm not nocking federal, I even still have about 100rnds of ammo for one of my 7 shorts,although I had a terrible exp. with a damaged barrel
Fom a box of the Barnes trippleX that has been since discontinued.
I just know if I was still buying ammo from them especially for a new gun for a young hunter like a kid or my wife that will build full confidence in over the years I would want to be able to go to my gun vault and grab the same ammo that that person built their trust on!
Just a Lil food for thought, your wife already seems a Lil timid about certain fire arms from your original post, soo making this a great exp. for her from the beginning is what counts. And congrats on your new hunting partner she sounds like she's a ringer!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Federal stop making the Barnes triple shock in 7wsm??
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Hornady sst stuff is good too. I have always had good luck with hornady and they have a wide selection of ammo. I have never bought any factory loaded barnes bullets but have had good results loading them for my AR. Never shot a critter with em but they make tiny little groups at 100yrds out of my carbine.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Sailfish

Pox have you considered something on an AR platform for your wife? The straight design of an AR really helps to reduce percieved recoil and muzzle rise. With the popularity of the AR platform you can find it chambered in a large variety of calibers.
The only drawback is that your lady will look like the badazz instead of you.lol. Nothin sexier than a woman and her gun.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
Pox, do yourself a huge favor. And this is only because of my experience I've had with federal ammunition comp.
If you've found a great round for any of your weapons including the 270wsm made by federal just go ahead and buy yourself a case or two of them now, especially for the short magnum! You'll also be getting a whole batch with the same LOT # that will 99.99% be accurate till the last round is spent.
I shot federal for over 20 yrs, and my father and uncles for over 30 and 40yrs.
Since I started with the 7mmwsm back in 04 they have discontinued 3 diffrient rounds that I found have shot well out of my firearm!
They've also done it with one of my favorite waterfowl loads!
There is nothing more dissipointing than finding out and ammunition is no longer available that you've put all your faith in for your hunting situation!
The WSM ammo is already more difficult to find than standard 308, 30-06, 270ammo.
I'm not nocking federal, I even still have about 100rnds of ammo for one of my 7 shorts,although I had a terrible exp. with a damaged barrel
Fom a box of the Barnes trippleX that has been since discontinued.
I just know if I was still buying ammo from them especially for a new gun for a young hunter like a kid or my wife that will build full confidence in over the years I would want to be able to go to my gun vault and grab the same ammo that that person built their trust on!
Just a Lil food for thought, your wife already seems a Lil timid about certain fire arms from your original post, soo making this a great exp. for her from the beginning is what counts. And congrats on your new hunting partner she sounds like she's a ringer!
i feel ya . i couldnt find my 270wsm federal trophy copper anywhere! i had a few boxes but used em to sight in a rifle then i switched scopes ect... needless to say i found 8 boxes when i went to ohio to visit my mom when she had her lung removed . they dont have a rifle season so its not as in demand. ive also been saving the brass. you are 100% right though it really sucked thinking about having to change ammo since i already had confidence in the federal.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Pox have you considered something on an AR platform for your wife? The straight design of an AR really helps to reduce percieved recoil and muzzle rise. With the popularity of the AR platform you can find it chambered in a large variety of calibers.
The only drawback is that your lady will look like the badazz instead of you.lol. Nothin sexier than a woman and her gun.
yes i have , a r10 but the weight of the gun has me nervous . i dont want to have to pack hers and mine through the woods .

i think im gonna get her a tikka 243 and add abunch of aftermarket stuff to it for her so its one of a kind
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
Federal stop making the Barnes triple shock in 7wsm??
Sure did!
U can buy the bullets from Barnes and reload them urself, but this is a common accurance with them.
I've gone from 160 accubond discontinued
To a 160 nosler partition discontinued
To a 160 Barnes tripple shock discontinued!
I was fortunate enough to find about 11 boxes of the accubond for me and my father for our 7shorts! It's the ammo I started with, and that shoots and kills the best out of that weapon! Browning A-bold 7mmWSM!
I've since purchased a case of Winchester 160 accubonds for my 7mmWSM X-bolt, and I can't tell the diff. They are just as accurate and just as deadly!
I also shoot the Winchester ammo out of my 300WSM and have had great results!
Hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
Sure did!
U can buy the bullets from Barnes and reload them urself, but this is a common accurance with them.
I've gone from 160 accubond discontinued
To a 160 nosler partition discontinued
To a 160 Barnes tripple shock discontinued!
I was fortunate enough to find about 11 boxes of the accubond for me and my father for our 7shorts! It's the ammo I started with, and that shoots and kills the best out of that weapon! Browning A-bold 7mmWSM!
I've since purchased a case of Winchester 160 accubonds for my 7mmWSM X-bolt, and I can't tell the diff. They are just as accurate and just as deadly!
I also shoot the Winchester ammo out of my 300WSM and have had great results!
Hope this helps!
Damn it! I've shot at least 20 deer with the Barnes triple shock and dropped every single one dead in its tracks. My x-bolt groups super tight with them. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
yes i have , a r10 but the weight of the gun has me nervous . i dont want to have to pack hers and mine through the woods .

i think im gonna get her a tikka 243 and add abunch of aftermarket stuff to it for her so its one of a kind
6.8spc is on a standard AR-15 platform. Its got plenty of juice for whitetail sized critters out to 300yards. Draw back is ammo isnt abundant. A complete upper and change the followers on a few of your AR 5.56 mags and she's rocking. 115 grn bullet at 2750 out the muzzle. I've played with a few but im sure others here have more info on the 6.8.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Blue Marlin

looked at the christensen arms ar10's today ...carbon fiber wrapped barrels ...holy ship shap! that thing was awesome . super solid but super lightweight and super expensive lol

ok so im pretty sure im gonna do the tikka .243 or the tikka 25-06 unless she wnts the a r10 ( fingers crossed she wants the a r10 so i get to play with it )
Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
looked at the christensen arms ar10's today ...carbon fiber wrapped barrels ...holy ship shap! that thing was awesome . super solid but super lightweight and super expensive lol

ok so im pretty sure im gonna do the tikka .243 or the tikka 25-06 unless she wnts the a r10 ( fingers crossed she wants the a r10 so i get to play with it )
Lighter 25-06 rifles can have a bit of recoil. .243 is a better choice for a sensitive shooter.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Lighter 25-06 rifles can have a bit of recoil. .243 is a better choice for a sensitive shooter.
25-06 seems to be a bit flatter round though
Old 02-13-2014, 12:28 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
25-06 seems to be a bit flatter round though
It depends. I owned one for many years and shot a lot of deer and groundhogs with it. From a 26" barrel, 85 grain bullets at 3450 fps or 100 grain bullets at 3200 or 115 grain bullets at 2900 are all plenty flat, but when the wind blows, it all gets much harder.

Reading the wind is harder than adjusting for drop. Unless shots are rushed, the higher BC bullets of the .260 Rem or .243 Win are easier to adjust for, a bit more drop, but less wind drift. The way I hunted, there was always plenty of time to laser range the distance and dial up for the drop.

I don't think I'll own another 25-06. BCs for long range start at 0.5 and I really prefer 0.6.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Blue Marlin

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392333135.768050.jpg

Merkel 7mm08 single shot break barrel
Swarovski glass

Happy valentines day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 02-13-2014, 06:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Beautiful gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724

Very nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Sweet gun Pox
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Attachment 63740

Merkel 7mm08 single shot break barrel
Swarovski glass

Happy valentines day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Now ur talking brother!
U just scored big
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Blue Marlin

shes pretty pumped, not sure if she realizes how badarse of a gun it is but i know she appreciates it . no ammo to be found in baton rouge though! i ordered some from ohio should be here next week
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Blue Marlin

it a gun that can stay in the family and get passed down hopefully one day it will be "gramma's gun" or even better "great gramma's gun"