SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Flounder

Cash: 542
Default Looking to buddy boat 7/5...

Looking to tag along behind someone this weekend. I live in Gonzales so anywhere within a couple hours from here. Fairly new to fishing and want to take my wife and lil boy out on the boat, just don't know where to go. If anyone is interested in please reply. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

go to lake ponchartrain and launch at peavine boat launch.

you don't need to go early because the fish are biting later in the day.

its best to have a west wind, anything from the east and it gets rough and dirties up the water.

they are catching nice redfish at the powerlines with market shrimp on the bottom fished close to the pilings.

the powerlines have a number plate at the top so every 5th one has a number 110, 115, 120, and so on.

go straight out from peavine to the powerlines (use the road as a guide to what straight out is) then when you get there turn left and follow the powerlines until you get to 110 and if you don't catch at 2 or 3 powerlines in a row jump down 5 or 6 powerlines and start there. stop at every powerline and fish and if you don't catch anything after 5-10 minutes move to the next one, if you catch one or two nice reds move to the next one. they seam to only hold one or two reds at each powerline.

this is the middle of the day fishing so plan to be at the launch around 830 and you are targeting the 10-2 period when its hottest. this is where the fish hold tight to the powerlines in the shade formed by the shadow so this is where you want your baits sitting.

anchor away from the powerline and let the wind hold your boat about 10-12 ft away from the poles. that way everyone can fish the shaded areas.

the water is 10-11ft deep and you fish with tight lines using a jig head tipped with shrimp or a Carolina rigged hook with shrimp.

make sure you have medium heavy poles because most reds are averaging 20-24" and they aren't catching much else except little 6" trout and drum.

the lake is not a buddy boat place so you don't want to follow another boat or try to frog leap or people tend to get uppity. after the fish are caught at one powerline it can take hours for more to come around.

I cant do any more then that unless I was there to net the fish for ya

Last edited by keakar; 07-03-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Flounder

Thanks keakar I think I'm gonna take your advice and bit the power lines this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryLab View Post
Thanks keakar I think I'm gonna take your advice and bit the power lines this weekend!

the only drawback to fishing on this side of lake ponchartrain is the powerlines are about the only structure that holds fish so when the word is out they are catching fish (like it is now) weekends and holidays can be frustrating fishing since there are sometimes a boat at every single powerline. and on days like that you just move when you can or just stay put and hope the fish come to you, which they will but its a much slower bite and kids will get bored with waiting.

on crowded days you just hafta hope the other guys aren't as good a fishermen as you or they aren't catching fish so you can come in and catch them behind them.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Flounder

How's the launch? Will it be a problem launching my 22ft Xpress?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Red Snapper

launch is great but its shallow as you exit and enter the opening (rock jetty protection to keep the launch area deep) so go slow, its about 2-3 feet deep as you exit and this lake gets deep very very slow.

its great for the kids to go swimming but you go out a 1/4 mile and it only gets about a foot deeper. its all smooth flat mud wil clam beds and sponge grass areas so there isn't anything to hit but this only applies to the launch entrance going straight out and straight in so don't go more then a few hundred yards to either side unless you are going slow (idle).

if you get within a mile of the shoreline it can have tree stumps and such especially near the washout (area where you can see the train tracks) its about half way to manchac from peavine and its easy to see because the shoreline is covered in a layer of rocks to protect erosion from reaching the train tracks. the spillway washes big trees and lord knows what else into the lake when its locks are opened up every few years and this stuff works its way floating in the lake until it settles along the shorelines and gets stuck in the mud. you only have to be concerned about floating logs right after the spillway locks are opened and then its only for a few days until everything floats to shore.

there are times you catch fish along the shorelinre but its best to stick to the powerlines until you learn the lake well and get used to where you can and cant get close to shore. even when you do hit something near shore its going to be soft wood so as long as you are not running on a plane it wont hurt anything. again im talking about other places in the lake along random shorelines and not near the launch area.

Last edited by keakar; 07-03-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Watch the fools this weekend, life jackets and kill switch!

Wish I knew where the fish were, I'd be sitting on them
Old 07-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Wish I knew where the fish were, I'd be sitting on them
I will tell you but you have to promise to keep this secret to yourself

the fish are ....... in the water

seriously though, the best way to think of lake ponchartrain is as one big shallow oyster (or in this case clam) bed, very flat smooth and shallow with very small changes in depth that are so slight you don't even notice or can tell that its getting deeper until you've gone a good 1/4 mile or so

to go from 2-3 ft at the launch (the average depth around the lake at about a mile from the shoreline) to the powerlines at 10-11 ft deep its about a 3-4 mile run, that's how gradual the depth changes are
Old 07-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:

so how did you do? kids have fun?
Old 07-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Flounder

Didn't go ended having to work unfortunately. Hopefully next weekend. Thanks for all the info!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Didn't go ended having to work unfortunately. Hopefully next weekend. Thanks for all the info!
NP, always glad to help