SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,119
Default Grand wier closed again

Does anyone know why grand is closed again?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I would say no with these North Winds next few days
Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,205

They closed it early this week due to high salinity again in the marsh. Thay are going to watch the salinity level very closely or so I was told.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Yep, kinchen got it. That's how the Wiers were supposed to be operated all along, but fws didn't want to buttheads with the charter captains and rec fisherman, so they never did. Now someone else is in charge of operations and its being run like they are supposed to be for the benefit of the marsh and the nekton.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,119

I just wish there was a way to know when it is being closed before you get out there. We planned on going catch some crabs for mothers day but that didn't happen.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsx750f2000 View Post
I just wish there was a way to know when it is being closed before you get out there. We planned on going catch some crabs for mothers day but that didn't happen.
Call this number to get update on the Grand Bayou weir. This is a recording so it is available 24/7.

1 855 532-9955

On Friday.... the message said that because the salinity in Big Lake is high they have closed access to the East Cove marsh to keep the "high salinity" water from going into the marsh.

When you got to the weir, was the gate closed?

I saw a report that said there was a big sign posted on the weir saying the marsh access was closed and there was a vertical pipe blocking the weir opening.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

I'm just curious, why are they trying to control the salinity levels in the marsh? For the ducks, grasses,etc?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Yep, kinchen got it. That's how the Wiers were supposed to be operated all along, but fws didn't want to buttheads with the charter captains and rec fisherman, so they never did. Now someone else is in charge of operations and its being run like they are supposed to be for the benefit of the marsh and the nekton.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Wow, you hit a nerve with me. Long ago before the bayous on the East bank were dammed up and weired off there were shrimp and fish in the lake like we have not seen in a long time. Only when hurricanes caused breaks in the levees did the fishing once again get really good. In the days before the weirs, opening day of shrimp season on Big Lake looked like the Walmart parking lot and most everyone caught shrimp. I was told that the weirs were originally installed to protect rice farmers in Creole from saltwater intrusion. No rice farmers in Creole any longer. The closed weirs do benefit the private land owners who hunt, fish and crab behind the weirs. It will never happen but I would like to see all the weirs removed and things returned to their natural state. Just my opinion, I am not a biologist but I can remember what it was like before the weirs were installed.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Wow, you hit a nerve with me. Long ago before the bayous on the East bank were dammed up and weired off there were shrimp and fish in the lake like we have not seen in a long time. Only when hurricanes caused breaks in the levees did the fishing once again get really good. In the days before the weirs, opening day of shrimp season on Big Lake looked like the Walmart parking lot and most everyone caught shrimp. I was told that the weirs were originally installed to protect rice farmers in Creole from saltwater intrusion. No rice farmers in Creole any longer. The closed weirs do benefit the private land owners who hunt, fish and crab behind the weirs. It will never happen but I would like to see all the weirs removed and things returned to their natural state. Just my opinion, I am not a biologist but I can remember what it was like before the weirs were installed.
What year(s) were the weirs installed?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,841

Late 80's.....'88 or '89...
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Late 80's.....'88 or '89...
When was the ship channel dug?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
You are right. Man always tryina mess with what mother nature got goin on. Every now and then she comes through and destroys what man has made to get things back right. The wiers are the worst thing that ever happened to this estuary and duck huntin IMO.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
When was the ship channel dug?
In the 1920's...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 763
Default cross the levee

Can you park on the lake and cross the levee to fish or crab in the marsh.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy_day View Post
Can you park on the lake and cross the levee to fish or crab in the marsh.
No...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 763
Default Boats behind the gates

I guess only the land owners behind the weirs have access to the marsh..
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
To return to a natural state would mean filling in the ship channel. That marsh isn't supposed to be salt marsh. Now we need mans intervention to control the results of a another. As long as man keeps messing with mother nature it will be all fudged up!!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,331

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
To return to a natural state would mean filling in the ship channel. That marsh isn't supposed to be salt marsh.
I am curious to see what this is going to do to the bigger trout in the lake.

Don't want to start an argument. Just my opinion. I think that we were seeing more bigger trout in the lake because of the wiers. Now that they are repaired, I guess we will see in 3 or 4 years.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Good points, how far back do we want to go to be in a natural state? The native Indians in this area had things pretty natural. Interesting discussion. Time will tell.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
To return to a natural state would mean filling in the ship channel. That marsh isn't supposed to be salt marsh. Now we need mans intervention to control the results of a another. As long as man keeps messing with mother nature it will be all fudged up!!
Ding ding ding. Use to be a freshwater lake. Let's turn it back

sammich