SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Redfish

Cash: 933
Default Toledo Bend stumps

Be careful in San Miguel boat lane, the main one. I was headed back to the camp and passed up the boat lane intersection of San Miguel and the boat lane from North Toledo St Park to 1215 launch. Idled down, turned around, watched the depth drop seeing i was in the channel, mashed the hotfoot and WHAM/BEEEEEPPPPP. I was maybe one buoy past this intersection. Also, at this intersection is a big ole stump a couple feet down in the southwest quadrant if you are headed to North Toledo state park. Also bumped a stump coming off plane in the main lake 1215 area just north of San Miguel.
Guess after i get this fixed, i might be idling everywhere.
BE careful out there,
Ronnie
Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieF View Post
Be careful in San Miguel boat lane, the main one. I was headed back to the camp and passed up the boat lane intersection of San Miguel and the boat lane from North Toledo St Park to 1215 launch. Idled down, turned around, watched the depth drop seeing i was in the channel, mashed the hotfoot and WHAM/BEEEEEPPPPP. I was maybe one buoy past this intersection. Also, at this intersection is a big ole stump a couple feet down in the southwest quadrant if you are headed to North Toledo state park. Also bumped a stump coming off plane in the main lake 1215 area just north of San Miguel.
Guess after i get this fixed, i might be idling everywhere.
BE careful out there,
Ronnie
they cut some stumps back when it got real low around 10yrs ago but there are some bad ones left, we use to hit some in the boat lanes before they cut them when water was close to high level if it was ruff so keep that in mind also
Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Redfish

Weedeater, you might be onto something. It was very rough that night, though not as bad in the cove as the main lake.

Ronnie
Old 06-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 668

Just got my boat out the fiberglass repair shop after idling over a stump in Esto cove. It must of had a pipe or something in the stump because it left a pretty good gash. Be careful out there, doesn't look like the waters coming up anytime soon.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera II View Post
Just got my boat out the fiberglass repair shop after idling over a stump in Esto cove. It must of had a pipe or something in the stump because it left a pretty good gash. Be careful out there, doesn't look like the waters coming up anytime soon.
they show it to be up a few inches and holdin for a few days. I heard they got some rain but I know we need alot more.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Redfish

Quote:

Man, that sucks. Esto cove, is that where Big Bass and Buckeye are located or is that more toward Arnolds Bay?
I guess I need to get my 15'Alweld w/25 tohatsu running. I prefer the comfort of the big boat, but repair cost is uncomfortable too!!
Yes indeed, be careful out there.

Ronnie
Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Man, that sucks. Esto cove, is that where Big Bass and Buckeye are located or is that more toward Arnolds Bay?
I guess I need to get my 15'Alweld w/25 tohatsu running. I prefer the comfort of the big boat, but repair cost is uncomfortable too!!

Ronnie
I have not been up there in about a month to fish hows the wind been I am gona try maybe a a week or so to go catch a few but last trip I made was pretty ruff
Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I have not been up there in about a month to fish hows the wind been I am gona try maybe a a week or so to go catch a few but last trip I made was pretty ruff
I was up there for a week, two sunday's ago until last sunday. It was hit and miss. Some days it was choppy and some it was flat calm. I gave my friend a joy ride from San Miguel to Cypress Bend on a hot day with SE winds. Other days, i took a few waves over the bow and my boat is usually very dry. We'd tie up to stumps and fan cast drop offs making it a lot easier to concentrate on fishing!!

Ronnie
Old 06-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I was up there for a week, two sunday's ago until last sunday. It was hit and miss. Some days it was choppy and some it was flat calm. I gave my friend a joy ride from San Miguel to Cypress Bend on a hot day with SE winds. Other days, i took a few waves over the bow and my boat is usually very dry. We'd tie up to stumps and fan cast drop offs making it a lot easier to concentrate on fishing!!

Ronnie
dont sound to bad of a trip, what yall catchin on and any numbers?

Last edited by weedeater; 06-26-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 613

There's some big stumps and sand bars all in the alternate boat lanes around Pendleton!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Quote:

Rebar driven into the stumps for trot lines and markers, I am sure someone thought this was a good idea 30 yrs ago, but its tough on boat
bottoms... I have heard the screech of gelcoat popping off my hull at trolling motor speeds, not fun...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
dont sound to bad of a trip, what yall catchin on and any numbers?
I had a childhood friend with me who was inexperienced at bass fishing. I had her fishing with carolina rigged watermelon seed flukes for the most part. She caught a few on crankbaits too.
I caught on jigs(though not as well as my last trip), carolina rigged flukes, crankbaits, and swimbaits. One calm evening at dusk, it was just about every cast. I'd throw out a weightless fluke and make it dance on the surface and wham, i'd give her the rod, then i'd throw a swimbait and usually hook up too. Also a few on redeye shads. Early morning topwater wasn't good for us. I'm blaming the full moon!!!
The numbers weren't there nor was size. The biggest may have been 3.5.

Ronnie

Last edited by RonnieF; 06-26-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I had a childhood friend with me who was inexperienced at bass fishing. I had her fishing with carolina rigged watermelon seed flukes for the most part. She caught a few on crankbaits too.
I caught on jigs(though not as well as my last trip), carolina rigged flukes, crankbaits, and swimbaits. One calm evening at dusk, it was just about every cast. I'd throw out a weightless fluke and make it dance on the surface and wham, i'd give her the rod, then i'd throw a swimbait and usually hook up too. Also a few on redeye shads. Early morning topwater wasn't good for us. I'm blaming the full moon!!!
The numbers weren't there nor was size. The biggest may have been 3.5.

Ronnie
still not a bad trip, I enjoy fishin plastics so I think thats what I will try when I go
Old 06-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Redfish

There wasn't much schooling in the areas i fished. My neighbor was saying the same thing, he hasn't seen much schooling either.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:

Ronnie
Esto is in the same cove as Big Bass and Buckeye, towards the back of the cove by the bridge.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Rebar driven into the stumps for trot lines and markers, I am sure someone thought this was a good idea 30 yrs ago, but its tough on boat
bottoms... I have heard the screech of gelcoat popping off my hull at trolling motor speeds, not fun...

I feel ya. Made me sick to my stomach. Insurance covered it, made me feel a little better.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 667
Default Be careful

Watch for stumps every where in TB. I just got my boat back from the factory, been without it for a little over a month. Its good to finally have it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0729.jpg (61.8 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Owch! Lucky you made it back to the dock with that one!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Redfish

Man, that pic gives me the heebie jeebies. The night of fighting big waves with cloud cover and darkness, i was so worried about coming down on a stump top.
That must have made you sick.

Ronnie