SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin View Post
What about this group? They are fairly new, started in 2016.

https://louisianasportsmenscoalition.com/
I gotta say I am disappointed that they are making private water (rather than conservation) a big issue.

Suppose I were to buy some land in S. Louisiana. Right now, if that land washes away, I still own title to the bottom and the water over it. I can restore it and rebuild it if I want.

But if erosion and subsistence transfers title to the state, the state now has a motive to allow (or even create) conditions favoring the erosion and subsistence of my land so the rights become theirs.

This seems like an unConstitutional taking of private property to me.

Private property owners need a balance between the current state of affairs and the transfer of property to the state as a result of erosion and subsistence.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Also, on an interesting note I have been digging around on some artificial reef information, Not CCA specific. There are other cost effective measures out there.

It seems to me CCA likes to make a big deal on dumping rocks and calling it a reef.

From my sonar experience I have seen these reefs magically disappear over time. What I found is with the muddy bottom of South LA, a raw rock reef will basically sink into the mud over time. One example is the Leon David Ortemond reef I scanned last year. Rock bottom seems to be disappearing.

If CCA was wiser and out for the fisherman, shouldn't they already know this?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Also, on an interesting note I have been digging around on some artificial reef information, Not CCA specific. There are other cost effective measures out there.

It seems to me CCA likes to make a big deal on dumping rocks and calling it a reef.

From my sonar experience I have seen these reefs magically disappear over time. What I found is with the muddy bottom of South LA, a raw rock reef will basically sink into the mud over time. One example is the Leon David Ortemond reef I scanned last year. Rock bottom seems to be disappearing.

Or they would be putting in living oyster reefs like they are in TX.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Quote:

Do U honestly think CCA Puts Reefs "WHERE THEY" Want to??? If you do !!! Well U are misinformed.

Months and months of study from LA WL&F biologist, and other state bodies, and then approval go into "WHERE" CCA Helps place a Reef.

TO all U CCA Bashers. Why not join an organization to help effect change.. U can't effect chance unless U ACTUALLY do something. All U do is want to F ing moan and groan.. But don't get off your butts and do something..

Why don't you all start a "Save Big Lake" Organization???? Getting meeting with all concerned... Why Not... I'll tell U Why Not .. U just want to blame someone else..

Like Mathgeek said..

Bring a garbage bag to the launch, or on your boat.. Leave a place a little better than U found it... I've seen more people crabbing leaving the plastic bags and containers all over the place at the weirs. Also string, castnets etc. Dumping trash fish all over and leaving it on the ground. Volunteer for crab trap removal rodeo... Etc.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Red Snapper

Whoa dude!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post

Bring a garbage bag to the launch, or on your boat.. Leave a place a little better than U found it... I've seen more people crabbing leaving the plastic bags and containers all over the place at the weirs. Also string, castnets etc. Dumping trash fish all over and leaving it on the ground. Volunteer for crab trap removal rodeo... Etc.
I do my part.... a little at a time almost ever trip I make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sec. 120 rd..jpg (86.6 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Sec 120 rd after.JPG (233.8 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0423.jpg (95.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0696.jpg (83.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Yep, Thanks, We have all been disgusted at the amount of litter we see outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Do U honestly think CCA Puts Reefs "WHERE THEY" Want to??? If you do !!! Well U are misinformed.
Buggun, wasn't questioning the placement of reef, just how they are built.

If it is documented that a raw rock reef sinks over the course a number of years, It is plauseable that all of those people that plan the reef should already know this will happen. And if so, creating these reefs are just a show of good faith with no sustainability.

I am, not bashing CCA, but there is a majority of anti CCA Comments here.

Anyone have any positive CCA Comments?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

What has CCA done on Big Lake for conservation and to protect our resources ?

I'll wait
Old 04-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
I boycotted STAR when my wife ran off with a crabber that was a CCA member

And also I think those tags they use are designed to fall off real quick. Thy always catch one or two tagged fish the very first week or two and then nothing. You never hear about anybody catching one that had the previous years tag on it either.

The people tagging were homeschooled I believe
Well... now you have herd it.

Last week I received notice of an 11" trout that I caught early last year at the trousels, and was re-captured at the Riggolets a couple of week ago... Oh yea it measured in at 22".

I support any type of conservation (hunting, fishing etc), I love to tag as I feel like I support their efforts, and also get the chance to support my own efforts.

You see, I also track the locations of where I catch and release fish, then when I received re-capture notices, I can start to look at their patterns of life. put this in line with the season weather, bait, etc and you can come up with a great estimate on where the fish are.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco View Post

Last week I received notice of an 11" trout that I caught early last year at the trousels, and was re-captured at the Riggolets a couple of week ago... Oh yea it measured in at 22".

I support any type of conservation (hunting, fishing etc), I love to tag as I feel like I support their efforts, and also get the chance to support my own efforts.

You see, I also track the locations of where I catch and release fish, then when I received re-capture notices, I can start to look at their patterns of life. put this in line with the season weather, bait, etc and you can come up with a great estimate on where the fish are.
Exactly. You tagged the fish. CCA didn't tag that fish. Their tags fall off
Old 04-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco View Post

Yellow tags are paid for by your tax money and fishing licenses CCA had zero to do with it

Thank your local WLF for tagging programs
Old 04-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
What has CCA done on Big Lake for conservation and to protect our resources ?

I'll wait
All that they accomplished in the 80's & 90's - getting the gill nets banned, attained gamefish status for redfish, shutdown the purse siening of the spawning redfish, having commercial limits set on specks & reds, and all the legal battles associated, none of that matters anymore?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychamp1 View Post
All that they accomplished in the 80's & 90's - getting the gill nets banned, attained gamefish status for redfish, shutdown the purse siening of the spawning redfish, having commercial limits set on specks & reds, and all the legal battles associated, none of that matters anymore?
Not even close to the CCA

That was GCCA

Whole different organization at the time ....

CCA ( today CCA) has done zero in big lake

They want a cookie because they put in a reef that was donated to them but yet cost over 500k to install ?

So again name 1 thing the CCA has done in last 20 years on Big Lake ?

Have not do 1 thing to stop erosion
Not 1 thing to stop over oystering

They just want to be a cool logo with a fishing event coast wide and give away a free boat and collet $75 from everyone entered

I'll support and Join back in the CCA when they get off there lazy *** and do something around here besides hold a banquet 1 a year
Old 04-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Not even close to the CCA

That was GCCA

Whole different organization at the time ....

CCA ( today CCA) has done zero in big lake

They want a cookie because they put in a reef that was donated to them but yet cost over 500k to install ?

So again name 1 thing the CCA has done in last 20 years on Big Lake ?

Have not do 1 thing to stop erosion
Not 1 thing to stop over oystering

They just want to be a cool logo with a fishing event coast wide and give away a free boat and collet $75 from everyone entered

I'll support and Join back in the CCA when they get off there lazy *** and do something around here besides hold a banquet 1 a year
They dropped the G in 1997 to be exact, that don't change what they accomplished. My response was to your original question which didn't have a 20 yr. stipulation in it.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
The group is now dominated by interests in TX, where most of the conservation money is spent and where nearly all of the salaried employees are.

What have they done for LA since 2000 other than get limits reduced without sound scientific reasons and license fees increased?

Texas is getting huge oyster reef restorations and well funded scientific studies.

TX gets the gold mine, LA gets the shaft.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The group is now dominated by interests in TX, where most of the conservation money is spent and where nearly all of the salaried employees are.

What have they done for LA since 2000 other than get limits reduced without sound scientific reasons and license fees increased?

Texas is getting huge oyster reef restorations and well funded scientific studies.

TX gets the gold mine, LA gets the shaft.
Ok, so an organization started in Texas has most of its salaried employees there, and that's a complaint?
What is the financial comparison for their funding, La. vs Tx? More money coming into CCA from Tx = more projects there.
How many millions did Walter Fondren the Texan, GCCA founder,Humble Oil/Exxon heir contribute, from the time he was chairman until today?

Last edited by Baychamp1; 04-27-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Ok, so an organization started in Texas has most of its salaried employees there, and that's a complaint?
What is the financial comparison for their funding, La. vs Tx? More money coming into CCA from Tx = more projects there.
How many millions did Walter Fondren the Texan, GCCA founder,Humble Oil/Exxon heir contribute, from the time he was chairman until today?
LA members provide about 1/4 of the income.

LA projects account for less than 1/10 of the conservation work.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Red Snapper

TxCCA
Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

CCA SINCE 1997 on big lake
Crickets

So if your from SW La and support the CCA for there so called "conservation efforts " your just paying for a cool decal for your boat or truck ..

CCA scared of oyster fisherman
CCA deaf ears to erosion
CCA is worried about backing lower limits without biological data