SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526
Default Youth flag football

I'm hoping some of you guys have some experience with this!!! I took the job because we didn't have enough coaches.

Any suggestions on drills, plays, for offense and defense would be greatly appreciated!!

Also how in the hell do I coach my 8 yr old and still support my 13 yr old with his fallball? It looks like most of the games will be on Sat. Around the same time at different parks...

Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

First thing to do is remember, it's for fun for the kids.

Second thing to get ready for is the kids' parents! Good Lord! I'm sure, especially in football, you'll have all sorts of Uncle Rico's (Napoleon Dynamite) out there. I was a soccer coach so, I didn't have it so bad but, there were still "those parents!" I actually had one banned from the fields for less-than-savory words he shared with my wife!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
First thing to do is remember, it's for fun for the kids.

Second thing to get ready for is the kids' parents! Good Lord! I'm sure, especially in football, you'll have all sorts of Uncle Rico's (Napoleon Dynamite) out there. I was a soccer coach so, I didn't have it so bad but, there were still "those parents!" I actually had one banned from the fields for less-than-savory words he shared with my wife!
Thanks southern! One of my players' father was in a fight with another teams father last year????

Later we found out it was family related but come on man those were 5-6 yr old kids PLAYING!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Oh God. I'm so sorry to hear your coaching lol. Been there done that. Tell the parents straight up that they had there chance to coach. You are now the coach and you don't need help from the bleachers. Play wise? Keep it simple. Qb sneaks, hand offs and reverses work wonders. If you have a couple kids that can catch, make short passes. Short passes over the middle just beyond line of scrimmage works well. And as stated earlier, it's for fun so keep it fun. When I was coaching I was coaching against Billy Navarre and you would have sworn he was coaching for NFL. Way to serious lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Best thing i found when i coached back in the stone age was .Figure out a set of team rules regarding practice and games and parent behavior . Type the rules .make copies. Each child who plays must have parent / guardian signature and players signature on rule sheet.
My number one rule was parents who have suggestions / complaints see me AFTER practice. Number two rule was I don't care how good you think you are ,if you don't make practice you sit the pine on Sat. All kids that make practice will play in the game. i don't care if we win or loose as long as the KIDS have fun.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Thanks guys!!!! I think I have the point! I will not allow anyone who does not practice to play ! Our first practice is this Sat. At 4 pm I had 4 parents ask are we going to practice every Sat. ( all of our games r on sat. ) 2 of them said we can't do Sat. Practice???

WHY SIGN UP?

Again thanks for the advice!!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Just a friendly reminder. It is hot out there. Make sure the kids get enough fluids and don't over heat.

Good luck. Coached my son in baseball from 5 years old till 15. Wouldn't trade it for the world but some of the parents can be a pain.

Find a couple of assistants that know what they are doing also.