SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

I would never have a core......................................

see my Handle, I can tear up an Iron Jackass
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 600

w...like BLB said we have citicas and curados in our arsenal. The Citicas are awesome, but you are right they are not better than the curados. I love my curados, but if you have taken apart and cleaned as many as i have and looked inside, just not on the surface, they all are subject to corrosion from abuse in saltwater. All of the low profile shimanos have the same style drive gear that is made of brass and prolonged use in saltwater they will show signs of corrsion, especially if never cleaned. I do have a citica that has been completely submurged three times now, and by properly tearing it down and cleaning it still works like new....
Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 685

lets get on!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackberry Hustler View Post
w...like BLB said we have citicas and curados in our arsenal. The Citicas are awesome, but you are right they are not better than the curados. I love my curados, but if you have taken apart and cleaned as many as i have and looked inside, just not on the surface, they all are subject to corrosion from abuse in saltwater. All of the low profile shimanos have the same style drive gear that is made of brass and prolonged use in saltwater they will show signs of corrsion, especially if never cleaned. I do have a citica that has been completely submurged three times now, and by properly tearing it down and cleaning it still works like new....

I use to clean them years ago but I just don't find that I need too...... Just add some Shimano oil and let ER Rip!!!!..... I would hate to see what the inside of my reels really look like!!!!! They might get a cleaning Next year!!(Maybe)
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I have to agree with W on this one. I have 3 Curado reels and I know a few people that have the 2 other high $ reels (Calais & Chronarch). They may be a little bit smoother but they do not cast any further. For the price, I will stick with the Curado reels. Also, I have a few Citica reels and I only fish in saltwater and I have had zero trouble with them. After I use them I just wash them off with water from a garden hose. My Curados & Citicas have zero rust on them. I probably fish 50-75 times a year.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
BLB....Too me a good reel is one with no maintenance....I never clean my reels....I dropped one in today taking a trout off....I just let them ride....If you have to clean a reel then its not worth using in my book!!! Add a little oil every now and then and that's it.....I have some old green Curados that have never been worked on and still cast like new......I had to have some gears in the 100D's changed out before due to wear but nothing major...A good reel should be able to handle abuse ,abuse , and more abuse

I'll just bet that your reels have never had any problems with the drag......
Old 07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Alright guys Im about ready to get my zebcos out and lets get it on. 202 and the famous 33
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I have to agree with W on this one. I have 3 Curado reels and I know a few people that have the 2 other high $ reels (Calais & Chronarch). They may be a little bit smoother but they do not cast any further. For the price, I will stick with the Curado reels. Also, I have a few Citica reels and I only fish in saltwater and I have had zero trouble with them. After I use them I just wash them off with water from a garden hose. My Curados & Citicas have zero rust on them. I probably fish 50-75 times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
How about a bare hook? No bait...no nothin'

ASR, how far can you cast a bare hook with a Curado? You really disappoint me. You agree with an idiot that knows nothing about a reel if he thinks it should never need cleaning.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I'll just bet that your reels have never had any problems with the drag......

Drag this!!!!! Just look at that Bull Minnow in his mouth!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_3f84ac14c0dfaa3ebff0336ce35ac220.jpg (54.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Great White

Quote:
Drag this!!!!! Just look at that Bull Minnow in his mouth!!!!!

Yep, that's the "fish" that made the REDDY GARFISH COMBO so famous. Damn...you sure look proud.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

shimano needs to lose the graphite and plastic on the curado.....
Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post

Bruce, I think the plastic is a good idea.....

more plastic = less rust.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Great White

That is a fish there and that is the one that put that Rod-N-Reel on the map. I bet he made a lot of gar fish balls with that one. Looks like W was fishing by the WEIRS.
I never have put oil on my Curado or Citica reels yet. I only lightly spray them down with water from a garden hose and then wipe them off. Never casted a bare hook. Usually have some cut bait at the end of the hook...just joking. BTW, had to make a sales trip today to the LC area, so made a late afternoon trip yesterday to Big Lake with a buddy of mine and we had 26 plus 1 red. Most were caught on swim baits and a few on top water. Waited for the rain and wind to pass in the afternoon and once it did the lake was like glass.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
That is a fish there and that is the one that put that Rod-N-Reel on the map. I bet he made a lot of gar fish balls with that one. Looks like W was fishing by the WEIRS.
I never have put oil on my Curado or Citica reels yet. I only lightly spray them down with water from a garden hose and then wipe them off. Never casted a bare hook. Usually have some cut bait at the end of the hook...just joking. BTW, had to make a sales trip today so made a late afternoon trip yesterday to Big Lake with a buddy of mine and we had 26 plus 1 red. Most were caught on swim baits and a few on top water.

My Shimano dealer said NEVER spray them with water....It just pushes the saltwater in farther....His best advice for cleaning is just whip down with damp rag or oil!!!! My best advice is let em ride!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Great White

Quote:
My Shimano dealer said NEVER spray them with water....It just pushes the saltwater in farther....His best advice for cleaning is just whip down with damp rag or oil!!!! My best advice is let em ride!!!!

Your "Shimano dealer" is correct. You are full of BS.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Great White

where do you oil them??? I have a little bottle of oil that came with each reel but not sure where....do you remove the cover where the 6 pins are and oil it there? Again, I lightly put fresh water on them. I do not spary them with any water pressue.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Red Snapper

W your reels got a good cleaning today,I know my did tore down all 4 of them and they were full of water but ready for tomorrow
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post

W's Curados are specially made, by Shimano, just for him. The reason his reels don't rust is because they have plastic gears, bearings and drag. When all you catch are 12" trout....they hold up great.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

DD....I forgot to tell you this!!! Thank god Chris was with me today!!! I was casting into a school of trout and I caught my waterloo rod in the eye and slung it in the water!!! Chris saved the day with the quick grab!!!

ASR....I put oil in the worm gear and un screw the spool brake and oil that bearing.....that's the most I ever do!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
DD....I forgot to tell you this!!! Thank god Chris was with me today!!! I was casting into a school of trout and I caught my waterloo rod in the eye and slung it in the water!!! Chris saved the day with the quick grab!!!

ASR....I put oil in the worm gear and un screw the spool brake and oil that bearing.....that's the most I ever do!!!
Moma would have kicked that rearend if you would have lost that one. Where did that happen at the weirs.