SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

Yeah. I was scared ****less
Old 07-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

On another note. In LA It is not illigal to carry a gun in your vehicle, CCP or not. BUT if you are stopped please keep you hands on the wheel and inform the officer you have a gun inthe car.

The few times Ive had to deal with popo in my truck i hand the my DL and CCP, they all have been cool about it, but they dont like ""surprises""
Old 07-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Seems blurry to me, carry where you will and stop something if you can, and I bet nobody bats an eye at whether you shouldn't be carrying there.

Kill or injures an innocent bystander with an off shot in one of those grey areas and I'll bet you get a legal anvil dropped on you along with the gun supporting community.
I think you are 100% correct....
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
Ive almost shot my friends wife one night at 3am.......... this is where your training comes into play. Just because some weekend course allows you to carry a gun dosent me you have the abilty to properly carry one.

PLEASE PLEASE if anyone here is thinking about getting a CCP please take a REAL course, and then continue to retrain. I have an exstinsive back ground in the subject, with well over 30+ years, and i just signed up for yet another course.

Heres the real deal, YOU ARE TAKING SOMEONES LIFE. You dont want to make a mistake. Whether your in the right or in the wrong you life will change, Ive seen it first hand how it affects people.
The qualification course to get a permit is a damn joke. I think Stevie Wonder could pass if he was pointed in the right direction. I think something like a USPSA course would be a lot better thing. Always mix in some no shoot targets.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
Ive almost shot my friends wife one night at 3am.......... this is where your training comes into play. Just because some weekend course allows you to carry a gun dosent me you have the abilty to properly carry one.

PLEASE PLEASE if anyone here is thinking about getting a CCP please take a REAL course, and then continue to retrain. I have an exstinsive back ground in the subject, with well over 30+ years, and i just signed up for yet another course.

Heres the real deal, YOU ARE TAKING SOMEONES LIFE. You dont want to make a mistake. Whether your in the right or in the wrong you life will change, Ive seen it first hand how it affects people.
THIS^^^^^ Before you decide to buy a weapon and take the carry course YOU need to have a soul searching and make damn sure that if and when the need arises , You can kill another human being?

Yes, we all talk a big game and say , no problem. But when it comes down to the nut cutting .Can you and will you do it?
Been many a rookie both LEO and military that passed the training w/ flying colors but they froze the first time s--t got real.

If you decide that yes i can and you take the CC course don't stop there, take some tactical courses . decide how you are going to conceal and practice getting your weapon from concealed to a firing position.
When i say practice i mean over and over . your are creating muscle memory . My instructor says 1000 times of drawing the weapon then 1000 times of drawing and going to firing position then the same by drawing, safety off, hammer back, firing position.
make sure that you practice with the weapon that you will carry w/ it fully UNLOADED!
I have watched guys use this technique go from an average shooter to drawing from concealed and having the first round on target in less than 2 seconds.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
THIS^^^^^ Before you decide to buy a weapon and take the carry course YOU need to have a soul searching and make damn sure that if and when the need arises , You can kill another human being?

Yes, we all talk a big game and say , no problem. But when it comes down to the nut cutting .Can you and will you do it?
Been many a rookie both LEO and military that passed the training w/ flying colors but they froze the first time s--t got real.

If you decide that yes i can and you take the CC course don't stop there, take some tactical courses . decide how you are going to conceal and practice getting your weapon from concealed to a firing position.
When i say practice i mean over and over . your are creating muscle memory . My instructor says 1000 times of drawing the weapon then 1000 times of drawing and going to firing position then the same by drawing, safety off, hammer back, firing position.
make sure that you practice with the weapon that you will carry w/ it fully UNLOADED!
I have watched guys use this technique go from an average shooter to drawing from concealed and having the first round on target in less than 2 seconds.
Snap caps are great for dry fire drills and reload drills. Especially if using a weapon with a single stack mag. Using a shot timer set on random beeb will also help speed up your draw response time. Not that everyone should rush out to buy one but they do help. I would set my timer on 3 seconds and do draw fire reload drills. Of course I was using my competition set up not my cc rig. You are absolutely right that constant practice is needed and a lot of it can be done without burning a bunch of $ in ammo.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

The course im taking in oct two weapons are required along with 1000 rnds minimum

im taking 9s a 45 and my home defense 870 with 18in barrel
Old 07-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Sailfish

That's gona be a fun course marty
Old 07-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 500
Default Recommend tactical class

Can you guys recommend some tactical classes to attend? Instructors etc.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scd View Post
Can you guys recommend some tactical classes to attend? Instructors etc.
Look for a USPSA gun club near you. That is a fun way to learn a lot about tactical shooting. You will usually find a lot of highly trained LE and military guys that are always willing to share advice to make you a better shooter. If nothing else it will help you with shooting under stress. It's fun and a good way to get better.