SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167
Hairout Tax time

Does anyone feel like they are getting screwed this year? I keep trying to itemize and find everything we can use for deductions, and trying married filing joint, single, etc and just keep coming back with either having to pay in or getting a very small return. Last year we got a good bit back, what gives?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,203

It is impossible for me (or anyone) to say without knowing the changes in your income, deductions, expemptions you claim, withholdings this year compared to last and other activity compared to last year. Obviously you would not want to post all of that on here outside of a pm.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

compare the taxes withheld and deductions from this year to last year.. If they are they same then your return should be the same as well
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Ling

I am going to compare last years to this year and see what the heck is happening thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

First year I ever had to pay....not getting a penny back. Owed over 1,500 bucks....makes me sick like I didn't pay them bastards enough. They are nothing more than professional thugs.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

thats why I wait till April 1st before I even think about doing taxes.....its like getting your azz hot waxed
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
thats why I wait till April 1st before I even think about doing taxes.....its like getting your azz hot waxed
Lol

sent from my Galaxy NOTE II
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
First year I ever had to pay....not getting a penny back. Owed over 1,500 bucks....makes me sick like I didn't pay them bastards enough. They are nothing more than professional thugs.
Same here, I wanted to go postal after filing this year.....
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I got more back than ever this year without itemizing, Thank You Obama!

#inbeforeyougavethegovernmentaloan

J/K on the Obama part.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I got more back than ever this year without itemizing, Thank You Obama!

#inbeforeyougavethegovernmentaloan

J/K on the Obama part.
For real??? I always itemizing like a mother.......Thats why it takes me so long to do taxes....
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,203

When the government takes back your deductions because you are "to fortunate" you tend to get really upset. The tax code especially the earned income credit is a form of welfare. If you want the budget to be balanced, remove the earned income credit.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
When the government takes back your deductions because you are "to fortunate" you tend to get really upset. The tax code especially the earned income credit is a form of welfare. If you want the budget to be balanced, remove the earned income credit.
AMEN!! And they should take away the Child Tax Credit for people that are on Government support also... Why should they get a $1000 tax credit if the Government is taking care of their children??
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
For real??? I always itemizing like a mother.......Thats why it takes me so long to do taxes....
Not enough deductions, I would have needed about $2,200 more and I didn't have that in deductions, believe me my tax prepper has a long list of deductions to look at and knows how much you bend it before Uncle Sam takes a look at it. This is my last year going to her though, I can do short form myself or get my mom to do it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Not enough deductions, I would have needed about $2,200 more and I didn't have that in deductions, believe me my tax prepper has a long list of deductions to look at and knows how much you bend it before Uncle Sam takes a look at it. This is my last year going to her though, I can do short form myself or get my mom to do it.

Does anyone know what dollar amount or ratio triggers this red flag?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Does anyone know what dollar amount or ratio triggers this red flag?
I made a mistake (an honest mistake) on my taxes one year and I am not a big baller by any means and they came after me. Long story short: fell from treestand, broke pelvis, owed $40k in medical bills due to no insurance at the time because I thought paying for health insurance was crazy for someone my age. I was able to settle for $10k and never thought anything of it. This was in 2006 I believe. Everything going fine until 2010, I got a letter from IRS stating I owed $8k in back taxes and penalties. The reason was that the $30k was taxable and I didn't report it, didn't know to report it, after all I had just paid $10k outta pocket for being stupid in a treestand. When I got that letter, it was like someone shot my dog. Let me be the first to tell you that the IRS does not play games. There was nothing I could do to try and settle or get them to drop the penalties. Don't frick with the IRS!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I made a mistake (an honest mistake) on my taxes one year and I am not a big baller by any means and they came after me. Long story short: fell from treestand, broke pelvis, owed $40k in medical bills due to no insurance at the time because I thought paying for health insurance was crazy for someone my age. I was able to settle for $10k and never thought anything of it. This was in 2006 I believe. Everything going fine until 2010, I got a letter from IRS stating I owed $8k in back taxes and penalties. The reason was that the $30k was taxable and I didn't report it, didn't know to report it, after all I had just paid $10k outta pocket for being stupid in a treestand. When I got that letter, it was like someone shot my dog. Let me be the first to tell you that the IRS does not play games. There was nothing I could do to try and settle or get them to drop the penalties. Don't frick with the IRS!
That's f***** up!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

we have a guy offshore who has been telling people you dont have to pay taxes on your labor
He made his company take little as possiable out of his check, a said he will turn in his w-2 and not pay any taxes

I popped a bag of popcorn and said!! Ill watch you beat the IRS!!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Ling

Quote:
we have a guy offshore who has been telling people you dont have to pay taxes on your labor
He made his company take little as possiable out of his check, a said he will turn in his w-2 and not pay any taxes

I popped a bag of popcorn and said!! Ill watch you beat the IRS!!
May not get him this year or next but they WILL get him. Its one thing to make an honest mistake but to do it intentionally that guy has some cojones or is just not right in the head.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

For what I pay in taxes I should have several federal workers cutting my grass once a week
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
That's f***** up!!!!!!!
That was my first thoughts as well The IRS doesn't care about how a mistake happened, you are going to get penalized for it, because it is your fault. It is their job though and I respect them, but man it sure took the wind out my sails