SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Opinions on Newer Kenners

I realize Bill Kenner sold the company a few years back. Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad on the newer Kenners? How is the fit and finish? I realize they are using the same molds. Anybody know someone that owns one? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

from what I understand Mako is the same boat
Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Yes the new Mako is the same as the newer Kenner hull.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
I realize Bill Kenner sold the company a few years back. Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad on the newer Kenners? How is the fit and finish? I realize they are using the same molds. Anybody know someone that owns one? Thanks.
what size you lookin for?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Cash: 376

I dont know if ya know this or not but Bill Kenner still makes boats ! K2 marine-Blackjacks and frontiers ! There great boats to !
Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Yes, I realize Bill Kenner still makes the Frontier and Blackjacks.

I have heard the new Makos are having lots of troubles. Not sure if I want to go down that road.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

kenner I think was bought by the same makes of the Nitro, bass tracker, Pro craft, mako, tahoe etc. they new ones aren't made to be the longest lasting hulls on the market, I'd save a couple thousand more for something different! but thats just me!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I would stick with the original owners of kenner....frontier or blackjack!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Do not get a new mako or anything they make......1 good fart and its off to the glass shop!!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I'll make you deal on one of the good Kenner hulls...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Go K2!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
Go K2!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Sailfish

Whats so bad about the new Kenner and Mako boats, just wonderin
Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

They have some quality control issues with the fiberglass. I know someone that bought a mako and everytime he took it out it was back in the fiberglass shop.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,855

One suggestion check the hull weight of say a 2005 18 fter and the new kenner 18 ft. You may see why the new are having construction issues.If that doesn't help personally get in side a new one and inspect the fiber glass joint' s made in cornor's of deck's They are delaminating fiberglass because not enough layers are being applied. In short same looking boat but with a lot less longevity.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

kenner and nitro bay boats are the same hulls unless im mistaken
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

what year did they go down in quality?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

I picked up a mako 1801/KENA hull.... w/ only 42 hrs on it from an old man who kept it garaged....I was a little skeptical from doing research on the hull truth but i went ahead and made the purchase b/c I got it for 1/2 the cost of a brand new rig. I've had no issues with the hull itself but the liner has a few microscopic spider cracks where the liner wall meets the floor from flexing. Not a major issue...just cosmetic. I've been in a 03 model and it's exactly the same (kenner mfg.) (opening hatches and inspecting the thickness, wiring, etc.)

Every company makes a bad boat here and there just like a car/truck. Triton 28' offshore rigs bout sunk its name for offshore rigs when they had all the transoms separating from the hull from the weight of trips on the back. Ranger about put it's self outta business from the older bayboats having bad gas tank issues.

What separates these companies from the newer made kenner/mako's is the customer service. Tracker has been known to beat around the bush and not stand next to their warranties. I know they had an owner w/ transom problems have to threaten tracker to litigate due to the fact they were telling him he'd have to take it up with the company that they purchased the marine grade wood from for the transom...lol.

Get enough fed up customers and the word spreads and the boat name goes down the chute.

I know several people w/ the newer model visions etc. who never have had a problem and put a lot of time on the lake.

Not being biased b/c i've had boats w/ better/more accessible wiring and higher quality liners. To be honest....after this boat...I'm done with liners. They are a pain in the azz to keep clean and white.

Just my 2cents.

Just my 2cents.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahunaz View Post
I picked up a mako 1801/KENA hull.... w/ only 42 hrs on it from an old man who kept it garaged....I was a little skeptical from doing research on the hull truth but i went ahead and made the purchase b/c I got it for 1/2 the cost of a brand new rig. I've had no issues with the hull itself but the liner has a few microscopic spider cracks where the liner wall meets the floor from flexing. Not a major issue...just cosmetic. I've been in a 03 model and it's exactly the same (kenner mfg.) (opening hatches and inspecting the thickness, wiring, etc.)

Every company makes a bad boat here and there just like a car/truck. Triton 28' offshore rigs bout sunk its name for offshore rigs when they had all the transoms separating from the hull from the weight of trips on the back. Ranger about put it's self outta business from the older bayboats having bad gas tank issues.

What separates these companies from the newer made kenner/mako's is the customer service. Tracker has been known to beat around the bush and not stand next to their warranties. I know they had an owner w/ transom problems have to threaten tracker to litigate due to the fact they were telling him he'd have to take it up with the company that they purchased the marine grade wood from for the transom...lol.

Get enough fed up customers and the word spreads and the boat name goes down the chute.

I know several people w/ the newer model visions etc. who never have had a problem and put a lot of time on the lake.

Not being biased b/c i've had boats w/ better/more accessible wiring and higher quality liners. To be honest....after this boat...I'm done with liners. They are a pain in the azz to keep clean and white.

Just my 2cents.

Just my 2cents.
I am kinda new to the bay boat styles but by liner do you mean capped? I looked at some of the 18lts mako boats and I liked the look of the capped one but I did notice some sketchy spots but I liked better then the none cap due to storage and front and rear deck area.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

I looked at the lts at the boat show and really like the design. haven't heard much about them nor done any research. I'd like to have a low profile bayboat like that to keep up at Toledo. as far as your question...yes...liner and capped are the same. And you can get boats now that are partially capped like the frontiers (decks and gunwales are capped and floor isn't) and boats like haynies ( or all texas built boats) where they will customize the layout to your liking.