SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 07-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default Holly Beach Reds

The stars finally aligned, and I landed two bulls in the surf at Holly Beach. I lost several due to my ineptitude in the beginning. I still had that quick hook set mentality from my freshwater fishing days. Anyway, I caught one that went about 18, and the one in the picture that came in just shy of 25 pounds. I shudder to think how tough a 35-40 pounder would fight. Also caught a billion little 20-25" sharks ad gafftops. Quite a fun day! Caught everything on a double drop leader with chunks of fresh mullet. I can't wait to get down to the beach in the fall when the real run is on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.0 KB, 418 views)
Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Redfish

And this was yesterday, 7-13. Once the wind swung back to the south, everything seemed to move way out, past my range.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
And this was yesterday, 7-13. Once the wind swung back to the south, everything seemed to move way out, past my range.
Hey Average, thanks for the report. Our hook up rates on bulls went up to near 100% when we started counting slowly to seven before tightening the drag. We keep the drag very light while soaking the bait so that the fish might hardly feel any tension on the bait. When we hear drag going out, we start to count, slowly one ... two ... all the way to seven before picking up the rod and tightening the drag without ever really setting the hook. We use size 6/0 J hooks (offset) with short to medium shanks.

Thanks for including the report about the sharks. My boys have been hoping to get on some sharks but we only have one so far in spite of plenty of trying.

Great picture.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Redfish

Thanks for the hook info. I believe I had 5/0 circle hooks on. I just wasn't waiting them out long enough. I had the drag set pretty light, but it was definitely still tight enough for the fish to feel. And if yesterday was any indication, you all should have no problem getting into some small sharks. I was actually about thigh deep and had one swim about ten feet in front of me. They were all over.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 605

What did the water look like? Clarity, wave action,etc.?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Redfish

It was pretty murky. I'd say 5-6" visibility. The mullet were as thick as I'd ever seen. The slight northerly breeze seemed to really knock the waves down. Once the wind switched, the waves picked up a bit, and it was nothing but gafftops and sharks.