SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I use to get my panties in a wad about "shoot this one or that one", but now I just don't care to argue anymore. If it's legal and you shoot it, that is you and who am I to say anything. On the same topic, I don't allow my kids to shoot ANY deer under 90-100 lbs. If they do, they understand that they can hunt the rest of the year, but they will not be shooting anything else!

I do this because I want to insure they do not accidently shoot a button buck. Their is no way to tell the difference of two yearlings that are 100 yards away in a low light situation. I will bet one of my paychecks that one of the two deer posted in this thread was a button buck and I do not want them to shoot those because that just makes the ratio harder to balance. So far this year, we have shot 2 does which our kids have harvested, but I need them to shoot at least 4 more. I passed on a doe this weekend which I eastimated at 100lbs, only because she was a young deer.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I use to get my panties in a wad about "shoot this one or that one", but now I just don't care to argue anymore. If it's legal and you shoot it, that is you and who am I to say anything. On the same topic, I don't allow my kids to shoot ANY deer under 90-100 lbs. If they do, they understand that they can hunt the rest of the year, but they will not be shooting anything else!

I do this because I want to insure they do not accidently shoot a button buck. Their is no way to tell the difference of two yearlings that are 100 yards away in a low light situation. I will bet one of my paychecks that one of the two deer posted in this thread was a button buck and I do not want them to shoot those because that just makes the ratio harder to balance. So far this year, we have shot 2 does which our kids have harvested, but I need them to shoot at least 4 more. I passed on a doe this weekend which I eastimated at 100lbs, only because she was a young deer.
I don't agree with that,but everyone has opinions.....they all stink! If one of your kids kills a deer 90-100 pounds and have a mature buck with a nice rack come out they can't kill it?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I don't agree with that,but everyone has opinions.....they all stink! If one of your kids kills a deer 90-100 pounds and have a mature buck with a nice rack come out they can't kill it?
Nope, if they drop a baby deer, they have to ice their trigger fingers for the rest of the year!! Momma also!

You obviously don't know my kids!!!! Them boys can shoot, and will drop the hammer on anything because they are young and want to kill em'. If I don't teach them patience and game management, then I am part of the problem. So it has helped them become better hunters and better sportsman. When you have young ones you will see!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Great White

Quote:
Nope, if they drop a baby deer, they have to ice their trigger fingers for the rest of the year!! Momma also!

You obviously don't know my kids!!!! Them boys can shoot, and will drop the hammer on anything because they are young and want to kill em'. If I don't teach them patience and game management, then I am part of the problem. So it has helped them become better hunters and better sportsman. When you have young ones you will see!
Sometimes it is just too hard to judge the weight. I would have to break that rule if a big ole buck walked out. Do you let them bring a gun after killing a deer not up to your standards?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Sometimes it is just too hard to judge the weight. I would have to break that rule if a big ole buck walked out. Do you let them bring a gun after killing a deer not up to your standards?
Come on Man!!! Hard to judge the weight????? If the deer is smaller than your lab, don't shoot it! If two small deer come in together, they are probably sister/brother don't shoot! If the deer has his head between momma's legs, he is still sucking don't shoot!

If my kids can do it, so can you!!!! And I have not had to enforce the rule since they are able to pass on baby deer. But they know I will, and if that means them sitting in the camp while we hunt, so be it. Otherwise, I would have at least 1 maybe 2 button heads hanging in the shed every year. I have to keep them from pulling the trigger long enough that they learn not to shoot everything that walks out. What's even tougher is the MS laws regarding bucks. My 17 y/o has to follow the law jus tlike me for width/length, but the 3 other ones are legal to shoot "any" buck. To make it fair and consistent, they all follow the rules of Zone 1.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Great White

Quote:
Come on Man!!! Hard to judge the weight????? If the deer is smaller than your lab, don't shoot it! If two small deer come in together, they are probably sister/brother don't shoot! If the deer has his head between momma's legs, he is still sucking don't shoot!

If my kids can do it, so can you!!!! And I have not had to enforce the rule since they are able to pass on baby deer. But they know I will, and if that means them sitting in the camp while we hunt, so be it. Otherwise, I would have at least 1 maybe 2 button heads hanging in the shed every year. I have to keep them from pulling the trigger long enough that they learn not to shoot everything that walks out. What's even tougher is the MS laws regarding bucks. My 17 y/o has to follow the law jus tlike me for width/length, but the 3 other ones are legal to shoot "any" buck. To make it fair and consistent, they all follow the rules of Zone 1.
I don't care what you say it is hard to judge the weight under some situations. Under low light in the morning or evening it can be tough. They grow on you sometimes too. I shot a 130 pound doe last year that I though was under 100 pounds and almost didn't shoot. I was shocked when I walked up to her and realized the size of the deer. If that works for you and your family,more power to you!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

if at all possible I dont make shots at or over 100yrs, makes it easier to tell what you are shooting and of all the places I have hunted including west Texas I have never had to make a shot that far
Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

Use them as live decoys....never know what else may walk out.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndamendment View Post
Use them as live decoys....never know what else may walk out.
I love the thrill of hunting bucks,but no matter how much you cook em those horns never get tender.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 832

The evening I killed my first buck, I was watching two does and debating on whether or not to take one. Good thing I had patience because the beautiful 8pt I have on my wall came out shortly after. I wasn't "trophy" hunting and have let many does walk over the past few years just to see if the buck showed up and it finally paid off!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Shoot em! Try your best to make sure it's not a bb, but I read in deer and deer hunting that 82% of bb will not be on your property next year, if people get so scared of shooting bb they will rarely pull trigger on does an your ratio will suffer. Who cares what size a doe is , the smaller the more tender the meat.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
X2.....That is why I didn't post pics of the two 80 and 90 pound does I killed this year. Alot of people think they gotta be 100+ to kill. Them youngins sure taste good too.
Same here ! I've got 4 does this year only one over 100 lbs fifth deer was a button buck. It happens
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards Kid's Mom View Post
The evening I killed my first buck, I was watching two does and debating on whether or not to take one. Good thing I had patience because the beautiful 8pt I have on my wall came out shortly after. I wasn't "trophy" hunting and have let many does walk over the past few years just to see if the buck showed up and it finally paid off!
Yes during the rut I do it a lil differently
Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Click click BOOOOOM
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Click click BOOOOOM
Lmao ditto!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

IMO if you want meat, shoot a doe but let the young bucks walk.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
Worked a checkpoint at clear creek last fall for a wildlife class. Another group was at fort polk. Someone checked in a 27lb "doe".
You must be in this picture.....Nov. 30, 2010.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Doe wt....75 lbs.jpg (96.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Many years ago.... I started off killing 2 does early in the season that weighed 80-90 lbs.

I told myself I would not shoot unless it was over 100 lbs. A few weeks later I spotted a doe with a nice size fawn. I said..... nope, she looked to be about the same size as the first 2. She stayed near me for a long time, so I got a good look. She grew a little bigger each minute I watched her.

After dragging her a little ways, I knew she was over 100 lbs. By the time I got back to the boat, she felt like 110-115 lbs. She ended up weighing 125 lbs.

IMO.... most hunters guess the weight of a deer to be more than what they actually weigh.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Perfect example of weight guessing. It was my first deer when I turned 17 and took him with a shotgun at 25 yards when we were running dogs in the swamp. I guess it was the excitement of actually seeing something that made me not realize how small he was. I really don't remember pulling the trigger or walking across the bayou to go get him but after I shot, I called my brother in law and said, "I just shot a big ole doe." Then after going get him and sitting down, I remember muttering, "Jeez this thing is small." Turned out to be 48 pounds and the guy down the line from me said that mine was walking with a 110lb doe he killed. And my brother in law shot a 100lb doe.

I used to say brown its down but now I will take the time to size up a deer. To me, anything that looks 75 and up is fair game. Deer don't get that big where I hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l.jpg (94.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg l2.jpg (26.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
You must be in this picture.....Nov. 30, 2010.
Thats him in the black looking down at a clipboard lol