SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316
Default snapper

all this new state water has got a honkey confused! when does snapper season begin?? what is the limit , is there a diffrent limit under 10..... miles out and a diffrent limit/ season 10+ miles out?? freaking confusing ...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

State says one thing. feds say another. Who do you trust ?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

State season opens this weekend, the 23rd, on the weekends only. It will be open Friday through Sunday every weekend until Labor Day. It is only in state waters which Louisiana just passed a resolution they extended to nine nautical miles. However the federal government has not approved the resolution yet and so technically state waters is still three nautical miles. I think the state limit is three snapper with the same 16 inch minimum.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I wouldn't go unless I made a trip to WLF office and got confirmation from someone that knows. And I'd want it in writing!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
I wouldn't go unless I made a trip to WLF office and got confirmation from someone that knows. And I'd want it in writing!
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/saltwater-finfish-seasons

Unless you run into a federal GW I think you will be ok because the state is recognizing 3 marine leauges/9 nautical miles/ 10.357 miles

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/35570
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default LDWF info

I attended the La. Sportsman show this weekend in Gonzales (awesome show by the way) and I visited the LDWF booth. I posed this question to the two enforcement officers there and the answer I got was "Clintonian" as in "it depends on what the definition of is is". Both said that they closely work with the feds and if they were with a fed officer and the fed officer wanted to write someone a ticket, they would write them a ticket in spite of what the state laws say. IOW, "you buy yo ticket, you takes your chances".
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
I attended the La. Sportsman show this weekend in Gonzales (awesome show by the way) and I visited the LDWF booth. I posed this question to the two enforcement officers there and the answer I got was "Clintonian" as in "it depends on what the definition of is is". Both said that they closely work with the feds and if they were with a fed officer and the fed officer wanted to write someone a ticket, they would write them a ticket in spite of what the state laws say. IOW, "you buy yo ticket, you takes your chances".
I have heard this same thing from several captains.

"It depends if you get pulled over by a state or federal Game Warden."

That is pretty jacked up! The state and feds need to get their **** together!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
I talked to 2 agents at the show on Friday. The head guy there said the only "safe" boundary is the current 3 mile mark. Anything outside that, you risk getting a ticket.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 677

I spoke to a GW friend who stated they (state gws) will be working the state waters to 10 miles out, but the US Coast Guard and the Feds will being work 3 miles out.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Meaux fishing that is NOT nine miles the state is looking for. It is 3 leagues which in nautical terms is 10.357 miles out. We want it for fishing but congress is not wanting to give up that land due to oil rights and revenues. As it stands right now (leagly) we have a weekend only season with a 3 fish per person limit out to 3 miles for snapper starting on March 23rd.

NOAA has to go.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Just get a faster boat than the feds
Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

If farther than 3 miles, hide the snapper under your cocaine???
Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
If farther than 3 miles, hide the snapper under your cocaine???

Good Idea
Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

The title of this thread is misleading...
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
The title of this thread is misleading...
my thoughts......
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Capt. Tommy Pellegrin has been guiding recreational anglers to red-snapper catches for 21 years, but his season won't get started this weekend when the state says he's welcome to fish.

"I won't be fishing red snapper because I couldn't talk any federal judges into getting on my boat with me," he said.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...r_anglers.html
Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Not many sure bets in life - but you can bet your butt some feds will be writing tickets this weekend. DHS boats have been trailered in from Texas and MS. They are PO'ed that LA has thumbed their noses, so all I can say is sign the tickets and say "see ya' in court".
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Not many sure bets in life - but you can bet your butt some feds will be writing tickets this weekend. DHS boats have been trailered in from Texas and MS. They are PO'ed that LA has thumbed their noses, so all I can say is sign the tickets and say "see ya' in court".

That makes some pretty good sense......it's just damn shame the sportsman has to suffer for all these penil challenged government schmucks
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Louisiana Offers Further Clarification
on 2013 Red Snapper Season

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries takes the bold action to move forward with a Louisiana-only recreational red snapper season.

The Louisiana-only Season
Beginning this Saturday, March 23, Louisiana will implement a weekend-only recreational red snapper season that will end on September 30, with a recreational bag limit of three fish per day at a 16-inch minimum.

A weekend is defined as Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with the exception of Memorial Day and Labor Day, when Monday will be classified as a weekend day as well.

“One day we will look back on today’s actions and see them as a historic move for Louisiana recreational anglers and for our abundant natural resources,” said LDWF Secretary Robert Barham. “No longer will we sit idly by, as our fates are determined by someone with so little understanding of our fisheries and a refusal to negotiate. Whether their actions are ones of arrogance or fear, we join our Gulf neighbors in Texas and Florida, who implemented similar state-by-state regulations today, in standing up to NOAA and showing them that their strong-arm tactics will not work on us.”

LDWF Secretary Robert Barham was given the authority to modify the portions of this rule pertaining to red snapper recreational daily harvest limits and season if NOAA instituted sub-regional management for the species or if it is otherwise deemed necessary.

“Louisiana’s recreational fishing community has spoken and we have listened,” said LDWF Assistant Secretary Randy Pausina, head of fisheries for Louisiana. “In this unprecedented move, our department is challenging the recommendations set by NOAA through the National Marine Fisheries Service. Our actions may seem rogue, but I assure you we have not entered into this lightly or without great thought. We plan to conduct our own research, analysis and make our own decisions on what is best for Louisiana anglers and our resource. For years the wishes of our anglers have fallen on deaf ears… that ends now.”

The Louisiana Gulfward Boundary
In June 2012 the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission took action to extend Louisiana state waters from three miles offshore to three marine leagues or approximately 10.357 miles.

LDWF officials encourage fishermen to use caution and their own personal judgment when fishing beyond the three mile boundary that is currently recognized as federal waters, as it is fully expected that federal agents will continue to enforce federal law. Until the time when the US Congress confirms Louisiana’s action, the battle will continue over Louisiana’s state water boundary.

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with managing and protecting Louisiana’s abundant resources. For more information, visit their website at www.wlf.louisiana.gov or follow them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ldwffb or follow them on Twitter @LDWF.

CCA Louisiana | P.O. Box 86458 | Baton Rouge, LA 70879 | p 225.952.9200 | f 225.952.9204
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

he said what was really on his mind didn't he