SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 597
Default At least I can eat like you guys.

I am still a bit out from retirement so I am stuck her in the peoples republic. I saw a Paul Prudhomme cookbook at a church sale today and invested a quarter.

The grocery guys looked at me like I was drunk when I asked for seven steaks, so I grabbed a pack of flat iron steaks and hit the bricks. I also grabbed a can of Tony' spicy seasoning stuff. I made a gravy like you guys described and made some rice and boiled some baby taters in old bay. I do know what crab boil is because we have dungeness here, the season opens in a few weeks.

Everything was good, but my oldest daughters Boyfriend thought it was too spicy....which made it better. Thanks for the inspiration. I may not get to live there for now, but I can eat like I do.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

Sounds great to me! Where's the pics?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Im stationed in Virginia and am eating like I'm at home except for gumbo, crawfish, jambalaya, and stuff, I'm putting Tony's on and in everything I cook
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

LOL! When my inlaws come down from Maine, they always complain of stuff being too spicy...Hell, a tsp of salt in a 5 gallon gumbo makes it too spicy for them! Sissies!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Redfish

Cash: 633

I have heard the cookbook "Cajun Men Cook" is supposed to be awesome. I think you can probably find it on Amazon or something
Old 10-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

I'm up here in Connecticut and I must say, while the food is not the stuff we are used to eating, it is GREAT. We been eating like kings. Been having lobster 3 times a week. Suckers are 4.99 a pound here. For $30 we eating like royalty. I'm still scratching together some hometown favorites but their food is great too. Especially the Italian. Today making a gumbo though
Old 10-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Pick up John Folse's Encylclapedia of Cajun Cooking. Its a wonderful cookbook and has some great stories and history about life in South Louisiana. I think I've read it about 3 times.lol
Old 10-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Encyclopia of Cajun Cuisine..... sorry about that.. Excellent book and I garuntee it will be a favorite. Speaking of it I loaned mine to a friend and need to get it back.lol
Old 10-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Pick up John Folse's Encylclapedia of Cajun Cooking. Its a wonderful cookbook and has some great stories and history about life in South Louisiana. I think I've read it about 3 times.lol
My brother bought me that book for Christmas one year. I find it leans more to the creole side more than Cajun, but it is an amazing cookbook. The history in it is an added bonus.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Well Ihere in Malaysia going on the 4th and final week. Nothing out here on platform even close to Cajun food. Thank God I brought some microwave food with me. Can not wait to get home to cook some food myself.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

That Paul Prudohmme cookbook is one of the best sellers ever.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Flounder

Cash: 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Encyclopia of Cajun Cuisine..... sorry about that.. Excellent book and I garuntee it will be a favorite. Speaking of it I loaned mine to a friend and need to get it back.lol
AWESOME book, friend of mine bought it for me a couple of years ago, I still pour thru it, great read and recipes! Highly recommend.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

John Folse is an excellent cook and writes very informative historical cook books. Being from the Mississippi river area he has a definite creole influence, River Cajuns had a lot more contact with the world on acounta the river traffic. Paul Prudomme is more rural Cajun but was classicly trained. For central pure country Cajun cooking Tony's original cook book is pretty good most of the recipes come from his travels around the Lafayette area and visits to camps in the Atchafalaya Basin. For the avid cook book collector try to locate any of Mercedes Vidrene's Books they are outa print and hard to get but she was the food editor for the Opelousas news paper for years, and folks would send her their family recipes to publish in the paper. These are wonderful examples of country Cajun cookin and I treasure mine.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 AM
Flounder

Cash: 597

I was kind of worried about mentioning Prudhomme because I remembered an old article in Field and Stream about how he basically single handedly almost killed off your red fish fisheries by making the things so popular. i am glad your fish came back.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

Legend has it, that Paul was workin as a line chef for the Brenans(New Orleans food family) When he messed up and dropped a seasoned fillet into a very hot black iron frying pan. Filled the kitchen with smoke, and scared every body, first instinct he snatched it off the heat and flipped it in the pan trying to save the fillet. But it was blackened on both sides. Being the chubby Cajun he was he couldn't help but trying a piece fo it on the way to trash can. The rest is history. Blackened red fish almost wiped out the gulf coast fishery. We are lucky with a limit of 5 both texas and florida can only catch 2.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Swordfish

Pauls P from the Opelousas area.
John Folse is from Vacherie, he gradutaed with my uncle from St. James High

Justin Wilson also has some good cook books
Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

I'm partial! My Grandmother had 2 cookbooks on the market and had cooking segments on local TV during the noon news. Her name was Belle Guidry and her cookbooks were Belle's Bayou Bounty and Belle's Country Cooking. These my friends....are the best!

She cooked in Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun View Post
I'm partial! My Grandmother had 2 cookbooks on the market and had cooking segments on local TV during the noon news. Her name was Belle Guidry and her cookbooks were Belle's Bayou Bounty and Belle's Country Cooking. These my friends....are the best!

She cooked in Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
where can you purchase these?
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
where can you purchase these?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...k+belle+guidry