SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074
Default Trout Showing Up Offshore

I launch out of Cameron this morning with the intention of fishing the lake but by 9:00 I was getting restless. All I managed to put in the box was a Trout, a Flounder, a dumb dumb, and 3 Reds. I have been fishing the south end of the lake the last few weeks pretty regularly and managing to put some nice fish in the boat and but this morning, for whatever reason, it wasn't happening. I heard through the grapevine that a few trout may be showing up at the closer production platforms and decided to ride out and see what was going on out there. My first stop was a platform I have fished for a while and done well at times but only when the current was not ripping. Just so happened it wasn't moving too fast today. I started on the up current side of the rig with a 3/8 oz jig head, casting short of the structure and letting my bait fall slowly without results. I have found the trout aren't usually on bottom this time of year but suspended 15' or so, I didn't want to blow it past them but I couldn't get anything to take my bait. Proceeded to the down current side of the rig and tied off. Dropped it strait down next to the structure and came up with 2 Jack Cravelle in 2 cast. Then I rigged a 1/2 jig head and threw down the length of the structure letting it fall to the bottom and bouncing it pretty aggressively. Once I got my bait directly in the middle of the platform I found what I was there for. As far I could tell they were holding maybe 3 or 4 feet off bottom and hitting it on the fall. They weren't real aggressive so we lost quite a few, I lost 2 fish on the surface that were probably 5 lbs or better. Managed to boat 12 or 13 before the bite died. I think we must have caught the tail end of it and I wish I would have headed straight out there. Nothing like rig fishing when they are biting. Saw the weather picking up on the radar and decided to call it a day but glad to see the fish are starting to show up offshore. The water conditions were pretty bad compared to what they usually are out there. Maybe had 6 to 8 inches of visibility. Caught everything on Purple/Chart Downsouth Lures (not really sure if they make more than one bait) or Purple/Chart Hackberry Hustlers. The platform was in about 35' of water. If some of you more adventurous folks want to get away from the chaos that is Big Lake on a Memorial Day weekend, might want to check out a few of the short rigs if the weather permits it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WC:BL Trip.jpg (52.5 KB, 605 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Tripletail

On a side note, I did stop by the truck on the way out and threw the drum and flounder in an ice chest in case I was checked outside of state waters.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Nice report... thank you for not just posting a picture!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Nice report! You can't have flounder offshore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
Nice report! You can't have flounder offshore?

No idea but why chance it

Old 05-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Nice my friend did you get tt off boat yet?
Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Tripletail

Not yet. There's a lot of stuff up there that I have to figure out what to do with.