SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Redfish

Cash: 778
Default Shopping for a new trailer

Looking for a new trailer. Considering a Loadmaster or Magic Tilt for my Blackjack. I tow about 800 miles a month on average. Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Redfish

Oh and Sport Trail trailers too
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,660

I looked at trailers and went with magic tilt. Loadmaster doesn't do aluminum, correct? They are great strong trailers but they said to go galvanized if going in saltwater. Which also will rust.
Hopefully in 2-3 weeks I'll have my old magic tilt for sale. Still trying to get the title paperwork straight with the idiots I bought from to be able to sell it. It's for a cat, but should be able to work the skids to fit a v
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829

I saw an ad in Craigslist (Lake Charles) for a company that says they make custom aluminum trailers. I have never called them and wondered if anyone had ever used them.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Flounder

Cash: 606

I had a trailer custom built at Sport Trail in December and I was extremely impressed with their craftsmanship and turn around time. Give Kevin a call you won't be disappointed!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367324676.644078.jpg
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

what ever kind you buy, get the torsion axles. The ride difference between leaf springs and them is night and day
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

I have a BlackJack riding on a Magic Tilt right now. I haven't had any problems with the trailer itself, but I have a black hull and the boards on the trailer are scuffing the hell out of the bow of my hull. The "V" of the hull is too steep for the way Magic Tilt welds their bunks. I looked at lighter colored BJs on Magic Tilts and they were scuffed too, just less noticeable bc of the lighter gel coat color. My boat is just a few months old and I have white scuffs on each side of the hull, caused by the trailer. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a Sport Trail trailer. Bruce Baugh has one for his BJ and I like his trailer better than mine in every way. I may sell my trailer and look into a Sport Trail in the future. This is my experience so far.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFisherman View Post
I have a BlackJack riding on a Magic Tilt right now. I haven't had any problems with the trailer itself, but I have a black hull and the boards on the trailer are scuffing the hell out of the bow of my hull. The "V" of the hull is too steep for the way Magic Tilt welds their bunks. I looked at lighter colored BJs on Magic Tilts and they were scuffed too, just less noticeable bc of the lighter gel coat color. My boat is just a few months old and I have white scuffs on each side of the hull, caused by the trailer. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a Sport Trail trailer. Bruce Baugh has one for his BJ and I like his trailer better than mine in every way. I may sell my trailer and look into a Sport Trail in the future. This is my experience so far.

I just spoke with Kevin and believe that I will go with his. I received input from THT folks too...looks like Sport Trail is just what I am looking for. But if anyone wants a McClain 2008 trailer with 4 brand new tires, under 200 miles, 4 brand new hubs with buddy bearings, under 100 miles, let me know. Welded bunk for a Blackjack
Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Kevin had a black jack a few years ago. He will custom build for you boat. On my second trailer now and hope this is only company I ever deal with. A stand-up guy for sure!!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk3 View Post
I just spoke with Kevin and believe that I will go with his. I received input from THT folks too...looks like Sport Trail is just what I am looking for. But if anyone wants a McClain 2008 trailer with 4 brand new tires, under 200 miles, 4 brand new hubs with buddy bearings, under 100 miles, let me know. Welded bunk for a Blackjack
I just spoke with Kyle from Lake Area Marine and he told me that Magic Tilt very recently repositioned and shortened the bunks on their BJ trailer to correct the scuffing issue. I'm going to try this route before changing trailers. The trailer itself is a good trailer and it looks good with mag wheels, so if they indeed did correct their scuffing issue, I think I'll like my Magic Tilt a lot better. Btw I second the torsion axle comment. I have them on my trailer and like them very much.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,322

I HATE my McLaine. Scuffing up my hull.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 679

Sport Trail
Sport Trail
Sport Trail

Did I mention Sport Trail?