SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

View Poll Results: Which outboard would you choose?
Yamaha 4 stroke fuel injected 30 73.17%
Evinrude E-Tech 6 14.63%
Suzuki 4 stroke fuel injected 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

NONE Above

Mercury #1 on the water

Paint it Black....
Old 11-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubass View Post
I have run nothing but Nissan and Tohatsu on my marsh boats for the last 23 years and have not had an issue with any of them. I currently have a 2016 Tohatsu 25 four stroke on an 1844 tunnel that I use to fish the Burns and Laccasine.
I wouldn't go back to a 2 stroke, I'm sure the same would be true for 2 verses 4 stroke 40hp comparison. The fuel consumption difference makes it a no brainer. My son has a 2 stroke 25 Nissan on his 1844 tunnel. We fished all the same spots one day in the Burns. He was by himself, my wife was in the boat with me. When we got back to the launch he was running on fumes, I had burnt 2 gallons.
I've heard the new Tohatsu 40 four strokes are slightly faster than the Tohatsu 2 strokes. I haven't run one yet myself though.
Sounds like you and your son have very similar boats. Besides fuel economy, how do your motors compare performance wise?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Sounds like you and your son have very similar boats. Besides fuel economy, how do your motors compare performance wise?
I can't speak for the 25, but I have a 2016 tohatsu 30 hp four stroke. I had a 2000 model 30 hp tohatsu two stroke and the new motor performs better. Better holeshot, better load carrying. I haven't gotten top end numbers loaded down yet but I am confident it will be better than my old motor by about 2 mph. I can't believe it gets a loaded boat on plane as well as it does. I run an alweld 1448
Old 11-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
NONE Above

Mercury #1 on the water

Paint it Black....
90 and up, sure.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Flounder

Cash: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Mine is a light gauge Alweld. GPS at 26 with just me, fishing gear, Minkota 80, 3 batteries and an Atlas jack plate as extra weight. Running an 11 pitch prop for better holeshot. 12 pitch only got me 1 more mph but holeshot suffered. It's the best all around marsh setup I've had yet.
My son's is a Styron shop built hull. Appears to be very similar weight wise to mine. He has a rebuilt 1993 25 Nissan. I think he is running a 13 pitch prop. GPS at 29-30 with him, 12V trolling motor, 1 battery and fishing gear. He travels a lot lighter than I do. We both wieght in the 245-250 lb range. The old motor performs really well, mpg just sucks.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Flounder

Cash: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
NONE Above

Mercury #1 on the water

Paint it Black....
When the sun hits it just right the dark blue Tohatsu looks black. Close enough for me.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Even though Tohatsu builds ALL Mercury motors 30hp and under, and they build ALL Nissan outboards, neither of them got the new gear ratio. Mercury has a 1.92 ratio which sucks on hole shot. The 2015 and newer tohatsu 25 and 30 has a 2.08 gear ratio, a stump puller. I tested the 25, it is a nice unit. No other new 25 will run with it in the marsh.
As for a new 40hp outboard, tohatsu 40 is 53ci. There's no replacement for displacement! That is why APBA races motors by cubic inch rating, there is no fair way to race otherwise.